South-West England Dawlish / Teignmouth area

Edit My Images
Yes
Got a week in Dawlish in August, looking for any suggestions for landscape / scenic photo spots around the area if anyone has any suggestion they will be gratefully received.

Around Shaldon and from the Teignmouth side is very nice ( you can get a ferry across for a couple of pounds) also there's a layby on the road down to Shaldon from Kingstainton I've been meaning to try...
Your also close to Dartmoor national park..... I love Bigbury and Hope Cove but maybe an hours drive.... Circa 30 miles....
Just getting to know the area since the kids moved down.....

In Dawlish itself, the black swans are an ornithological curiosity.
The railway along the coast is often shot.
I liked the view through under the rail bridge of the sea in the centre of town.
I can't remember more, but we lived there for a few months when I was working at the Met Office in Exeter and loved it (that was winter mind)

Just the coast and Dartmoor, really. Bear in mind that travel times at that time of year are likely to be significantly longer than Google or Garmin suggest!

How many days do you have and hopefully you have transport?
As Nod said traffic will be heavy in August - the worst days are when it rains as everyone just goes out for a drive.
Powderham Castle has a Castle (surprise) and also a deer park at Starcross which can be viewed from the cycle path beside the railway line parking here.
Haldon Belvedere is a bit of an oddity here
Mamhead Obelisk and the Haldon Forrest have super views, the Forrest doesn't offer a great deal due to density of trees but the road up through from Starcross has some opportunities to look across the Exe Estuary around here
The whole of the Exe estuary and Topsham village RSPB at Bowling Green Marsh is nice
Cockington village between Torquay and Paignton for thatched cottages.
On Dartmoor I can recommend a Lunch or Dinner at the Rugglestone Inn close by you have Buckland in the Moor for more thatch which can be included with a Stroll up to 10 Commandments Rock at Buckland Beacon or Emsworthy Mire and Saddle Tor with a very much photographed Tree just behind it which is probably best visited in the evening light, whereas Combestone Tor is ok at both sunrise and sunset and is very close to Venford Falls.
A good energetic walk would be to start in Paignton and follow the coastpath around to Brixham with a Bus ride back.
Torbay Steam Railway can be viewed passing at various angles on the South West coastal path between Goodrington and Broadsands Beaches which has some large Viaducts at Broadsands. Brixham town and Berry Head Fort and quarry.
Or you could ride the steam railway and take in a bit of Dartmouth.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Some good suggestions here, plenty of research to do...

I'll have a car but with current fuel prices and the general traffic around Devon in August, I'll be using public transport as much as possible, Teignmouth/Paignton/Brixham are all easilly accessable, I may look at Dartmoor as it's somewhere I've never been.

Devon in August?! Look out for the grockles...oh no, never mind, you'll be one ;)

(Here in Cornwall, we call them emmets)

Last edited:
Oh and a visit to Gayes Creamery in Dawlish is a must.
Just be careful about the order of cream and then jam you put on a scone!

Not to forget the steam trains that will run along the Dawlish seafront line

I hope you have great time in Devon:)

PS should you wish to venture to East Devon I can recommend the Tramway at Seaton....the journey from Seaton to Colyton is nicely picturesque and the village of Colyton worth a wander around.

Last edited:

PS should you wish to venture to East Devon I can recommend the Tramway at Seaton....the journey from Seaton to Colyton is nicely picturesque and the village of Colyton worth a wander around.

We've have a week in Devon most years so know the area fairly well but never really looked at it from a photography perspective.

Seaton Tramways is on the list of places to visit already, been meaning to visit for a while now.

I've also been looking at train times and it looks like I can get down to Loo/Fowey in Cornwall for a day without getting up too early so that's something else I'll have to think about planning.

Seaton Tramway is a pleasant ride along the Axe Valley if the weather plays ball.

I've lived in the Exeter area all my life and have never "done" the train trip to Teignmouth! I've walked as much as possible of the route though.

Back