Dawn Landscapes in B&W.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Since joining TP a few months ago I have been working myself through a theme/location in order to try to develop technique and understanding. The criticism on the forum has been indispensible in this process. I have learned a huge amount from both looking critically at other people's work, and from sticking my own neck on the block. I am currently feeling my way into working in RAW files, which makes an unbelievable difference, and having lurched unsteadily (as one does) into HDR, I am now experimenting with conversions of HDR into monochrome.

I took these early on Saturday morning. The light was quite low and flat, with the just rising sun dispersed behind high clouds. I have tried to let that autumn dawnish light show through in these pretty subdued conversions, but you know how it is - you get too close to your own stuff to see properly if it is working.

DSC_7712HDRBWB.jpg

DSC_7739HDRBWB.jpg

DSC_7795HDRBWB-1.jpg

DSC_7801HDRBWB.jpg

Both theme and location, of course, the old wartime USAAF airfield at Willingale in Essex, so not the spectacular and beautiful backdrops that are often found in this forum. I am trying to find something that is beyond straight documentary but does not preclude it, whilst also conveying something of the the sometimes quite considerable atmosphere of the place.

Don't hold back...!

Last edited:
Hi Toby,
One thing I've found that's key is to avoid any blown out or NEARLY blown out areas as these always come out in HDR as completely shot. You can see some of this in your skies. The only way to save is to clone or paint them back in.

The mono's need more punch. What pp software do you have?

Hi Toby,
One thing I've found that's key is to avoid any blown out or NEARLY blown out areas as these always come out in HDR as completely shot. You can see some of this in your skies. The only way to save is to clone or paint them back in.

The mono's need more punch. What pp software do you have?

I can build up those blown areas, except 2, which was directly into the sun - that might need painting in. Have left it as is, for now. I am half intrigued by the fact that it looks like moonlight! I am using Adobe Bridge, Dynamic Photo for a pretty subdued HDR, Silver Efex Pro, then CS4 for selective levels, contrast and sharpening. All these use the neutral setting in Silver Efex. I deliberately resisted going for punchier settings because (rightly or wrongly) I wanted to try to hold that really subdued, low light.

I think that works in the second and last one, but think #3 could usea little punch.

23rdman, I just reopened #3 in CS4, and there is a not insignificant difference between it here on my PC and on the forum - the value of a web edit with extra sharpening really shows. The TP posting is quite a bit softer in every way, certainly enough to make a difference on a subtle image like this. It shows much more on mono than I have previously noticed with colour shots.

Back