Day at the Races

My thoughts exactly well almost, i like the third it is abit arty farty, gives the sense of chaos and the movement as the horses jump. I spent the day trying to follow a photojournalism approach as this was part of my photography A Level christmas work. All the pictures are on my webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/roodboy911 Please comment on any photos. I'm after as much critisism (not about my spelling!) as i can get.

Thanks

My thoughts exactly well almost, i like the third it is abit arty farty, gives the sense of chaos and the movement as the horses jump. I spent the day trying to follow a photojournalism approach as this was part of my photography A Level christmas work. All the pictures are on my webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/roodboy911 Please comment on any photos. I'm after as much critisism (not about my spelling!) as i can get.

Thanks

I see your idea about 2 but your just a bit in the middle to slow to freeze the action but to fast to blur the movement. I think you had to go really slow and use a near by fence post to keep your self steady.

Hi roody
shot 1 is the best of these
number 2 is not good with all the heads in the way... too far away and no detail
and quite frankly number 3 should be in the recycle bin

next time I would suggest getting next to the Jumps and fence line to get some 'in your face' action - and show what the sports all about

number 3 is close to the fence, but it would look much more dynamic getting down really low as they come over the fence... and be ready for the Horse, 'chucking' the rider over the top

its alright using a slow shutter speed to get some feeling of motion, but pan with the horse as it comes at you... as you will get the whole lot OOF as number 3 shows

also getting shots of Losing punters ripping the tickets up etc, and the hustle & bustle of the Bookies at there betting stands
the races is a great place for photography
my 2p
Chris

Cheers chris, Was my first time at an event like that. Thanks for your advice, hopefully i will get a chance to try it out in the near future. It was hard to find a good spot there was so many people there.
Dan

hi Roody

i too like the first pic. 2&3 not so good but dont give up, trial and error is what its all about.

Can anyone tell me how i can show some pics on here, new to all this.

Have to agree with Buttkicker on these. First one is good.

Perhaps a crop on no 1 as well (get rid of some of the top section).

With most sport, the fast shutter speed is usually king for a good shot (although you can achieve some great results with slower speeds).

Dont be afraid to open up to f2.8 to achieve this. You may lose some shots being out of focus, but worth it for that one good shot that you capture in focus. Its often the case that many shots are taken and discarded, but you usually get a gem or two amongst them if you persist :)

Nice lens too!!

Back