Day light bulbs

There are 2 many types of bulbs / lamps to give you a solid answer!

What kind are you looking for?
Fluorescent? Energy saver? What fitting etc??

However your best bet would be an electrical wholesaler. Edmundson electrical, senate electrical, newey and eyre etc! Daylight is measured on the kelvin chart so google it get the colour temp you require and pop along to one of the above and they will help you out!!

I used to be a sales rep for GE who manufacture bulbs!!

For what?
Your beside lamp?
Ceiling lights?
Softbox?

On the presumption your query is in this section on purpose, then what power supply is your softbox supplied with?
That'd dictate the highest wattage lamp you can operate with it.

I've seen the 20+ watt versions (CCFL) on ebay - 4000ºK to 6500ºK

PJ S said:
For what?
Your beside lamp?
Ceiling lights?
Softbox?

On the presumption your query is in this section on purpose, then what power supply is your softbox supplied with?
That'd dictate the highest wattage lamp you can operate with it.

I've seen the 20+ watt versions (CCFL) on ebay - 4000ºK to 6500ºK

I just made a donkey of myself there didn't I?? Of course he's talking in a photographic context!!! Bloody iPhone must learn to read what section the thread is in first!!!!!

I just made a donkey of myself there didn't I?? Of course he's talking in a photographic context!!!

None of us are any the wiser until the OP replies with exactly what it is he's looking answers for.
I'm still convinced he's talking about general household lighting - looking for the best lighting to take interior photos of his house/apartment before putting it up on Right Move or Zoopla.

Thank you all for replies, Im looking for 40w/60w small screw fitting E14 for constant lighting to imitate daylight.
cheers

40w equivalent or 40w actual power draw?
Is this for an anglepoise lamp or something?

Come on Chris, stop dripfeeding and spit it out!
Failing that, go to ebay and use e14, daylight, cool white, ses, 4000K, 6500K, etc as search parameters. Restrict to UK only if you want to get rid of all the China sellers.

Failing that, go to ebay and use e14, daylight, cool white, ses, 4000K, 6500K, etc as search parameters. Restrict to UK only if you want to get rid of all the China sellers.

You ask for all this detail and tell him to get anything from 4000K to 6500K.. that's a massive range.

If this is for accurate colour rendition to judge prints by, then you need something with a high CRI (Colour rendering index). As for colour temperature, most print booths use D50 (5000K) lighting for photo work, and D65 (6500K) for pre press proofing. Personally, I prefer D65, as it's the most common white point associated with computer screens, and most calibration software uses D65 as a white point. No idea where 5000K as a photo standard came from, but it makes little sense to me.

Try this...

http://www.androv-medical.com/product/166/45-watt-screw-full-spectrum-daylight-bulb

That's a 6000K lamp with a CRI of 93.

Unless you're proofing for the printing industry and the rest of your work flow is highly managed, and you have Munsell neutral grey walls and zero ambient light from other sources...... that will do you. :)

Sure you want 40W though? That will be very bright used in an overhead fitting, and blindingly bright in a desk lamp.

Last edited:
You ask for all this detail and tell him to get anything from 4000K to 6500K.. that's a massive range.

If this is for accurate colour rendition to judge prints by, then you need something with a high CRI (Colour rendering index). As for colour temperature, most print booths use D50 (5000K) lighting for photo work, and D65 (6500K) for pre press proofing. Personally, I prefer D65, as it's the most common white point associated with computer screens, and most calibration software uses D65 as a white point. No idea where 5000K as a photo standard came from, but it makes little sense to me.

I did yes, since the OP wants "constant lighting to imitate daylight".
Your "massive range" is grossly exaggerated, since there's only 3 or 4 values within the 4000-6500K range that bulb manufacturers produce.

I don't get the impression accurate colour rendering is the primary focus, as I'd have expected someone knowing about that to be already aware of a bulb's CRI value and mention it as part of the parameters needing to be met.
Moreover I'd doubt they'd be asking here, when there's a wealth of info and sources via a simple Google or two.

As for D50 (5000ºK) - it's the CTO of the sun at the horizon, whereas D65 (6500ºK) is directly overhead, at the equator.
There's also D55 and D75 for other times of day and bright cloudy conditions.
Studio broadcast TV uses D65, if you didn't already know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature - a lot of that may be teaching you how to suck eggs, but thought it useful for others to acquaint themselves with.

Last edited:

Try this...

http://www.androv-medical.com/product/166/45-watt-screw-full-spectrum-daylight-bulb
(y)

That's a 6000K lamp with a CRI of 93.

Unless you're proofing for the printing industry and the rest of your work flow is highly managed, and you have Munsell neutral grey walls and zero ambient light from other sources...... that will do you. :)

Sure you want 40W though? That will be very bright used in an overhead fitting, and blindingly bright in a desk lamp.

Chris, on the presumption you're wanting a 40-60w equivalency bulb for a household fitting rather than a lightbox, then you're looking at 9-11w CFL versions, and 6-9w LED, maybe slightly lower wattage if CREE (and Epistar perhaps) are being used.

Back