Day out at Martin Mere

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Took the kids to Martin Mere WWT site yesterday as the weather was good and I've been meaning to go for a while to get some shots of the different birds. I used to go quite a bit when I was a kid and it was nice to take my own to have a look round. When we got home my daughter told me she wanted to go again today which was a good sign but I had to say we couldn't. I haven't done much bird photography so this was a nice change and challenge so comments and suggestions are welcome as always whether it be the for the shooting or editing side.
Duck 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Flamingo 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Moorhen 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Bar-headed Goose 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Sounds like a great day out, it's lovely to share such moment.

I have a boy which is 2 years old, what i can say is that kids make bird photography even more complex that it is! Sometimes you need to get lucky and have very obliging subject willing to come very close and pose for you. It sounds like i'm joking but really not! Last week i had a robin which was so close i couldn't focus. Best thing to get photo is if your kids happen to catch the photo/wildlife bug then they'll be the one dragging you forward.

But generally work a bit on composition and subject isolation. The flamengos in the background are touching your main subject which is confusing. Both flamengo and moorhen are very central too. The geese is the cleanest shot and as a good point of view but the focus seems to be out.

Thanks for the comments and advice Thomas

been years since I was last there, might try this weekend
like the Flamingo one

Back