Daylight clip test for developer

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Just to check since a straight answer on the net seems impossible to find, if I clip test my a film in daylight, so I develop the roll for the same time as the clip took to develop or longer?

So the secrets out, nobody actually knows and just pretends that they know how to do clp tests? :naughty:

For the record I tried it with some caffenol earlier, started the test the same time as the real dev and stopped the dev when the test looked about right, results seem to be pretty damn spot on. (frame that is being scanned atm is beautiful!)

I've only heard of clip tests for fixer - what are you looking for on a dev clip test?

Edit: I under stand why you'd want to do one - I'm just not clear on what "that looks about right, time for stop bath" would actually be

Last edited:
I do clip tests with developer, but only to see if it develops roughly within the published times... So I know the dev hasn't gone bad.

Generally it's best to start with the published times unless you are doing something experimental ... In which case experiment!

For what it's worth, I'd guess the time it takes to go black would be a good start but expect to try a couple of times.

Altered the mix of Caffenol and need to know how long extra to give it since the last dev in that mix went belly up (suspected as being due to age of film, which seems right as this film was developed for the same time at the same speed and was spot on).

Back