Dead Camera - was it my triggers?

jwr

Name
jack
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all,

has anyone had a body die on them like this? my 400D has just ceased to work, and im wondering what caused it and what my next steps should be.

i had just set up my off camera softbox etc, ready to take some car pics, tested flash fine, but as soon as i lined up my first shot it didnt fire my flash, and the test button on the wireless triggers didnt work - although it has worked just previously. the back of the flash test fired it fine so the flash must be ok.

but then returning to try my camera, i took one shot then it went dead, and now the on light stays on regardless and the camera doesnt work at all. as soon as the battery is put in the ON light on the camera comes on, but you get nothing. have my triggers killed the body?

ive tried changeing batteries, no flash, with grip and without, but the same result.

canon 400D
sigma 24-70
ebay PT-04 triggers
SB-26 (never mounted directly, of course)

just wondering if anyone with camera repair knowledge has any ideas on what might have happened?

thanks

Was going to say the same thing, borrowed a 400D from my sisters college and it wouldn't turn on. Took the CF card out, which looked like it had been stood on, removed it and it worked fine.

I don't mean the cf card light. the 400d has a green light beside the on/off switch on the top of the body. this light comes on when you connect the battery and switch on, but the camera doesn't do anything and th light stays on after that regardless of the position of the switch.

I don't mean the cf card light. the 400d has a green light beside the on/off switch on the top of the body. this light comes on when you connect the battery and switch on, but the camera doesn't do anything and th light stays on after that regardless of the position of the switch.

So have you tried a different card?

I only have one here but it makes no difference in or out

Fried psb?

Geo..

psb? it actually came back to life breifly, but when i tried to turn it off then on again, the same thing happened. and now it does nothing at all. ho hum

sounds promising. I haven't had a chance to get another cr2016 yet but hopefully will this evening, then I'll report back :)

changing the 2016 battery hasn't made any difference, so I guess something has been fried inside. oh well

Check the CF Card door is fully closed ..

Micro switch on door could be faulty..

Geo..:)

thanks for the suggestions! the latest is that now it will turn on and work! but once it has been switched off, the green light stays on and then the camera wont turn back on, until i disconnect the battery and the cycle repeats itself.

Its a long shot but you could always try and re-flash the firmware on it....

thanks i hadnt thought of that. i tried but it says it cant update because my battery level is too low, even though i've jsut fully charged two different batteries. i have tried both with and without my grip, and with AA batteries in the grip aswell.

I'd be surprised if it was the trigger, was it one you used before with no problems?

I'm not familiar with the 400d, but can they use an external power supply? That could rule out battery problems and maybe let you re-flash it also.

Take out the internal battery too (the big watch battery inside the battery compartment) and leave it out for an hour or two just in case there is a software bug in there and it is remembering something it shouldnt as a fault.
Put it back in and a fresh battery with a different compact flash card and if you have one a different lens and see how you get on. If the problem goes away you have narrowed it down to one of the following:

Dodgy CF card
Dodgy battery
Dodgy internal battery
Dodgy lens

You can then work out which one it is. If you ring Canon they will tell you to do the same if this does not work then as a last resort you will need to send it to either Lehmanns or Fixation etc for a quote.

Take out the internal battery too (the big watch battery inside the battery compartment) and leave it out for an hour or two just in case there is a software bug in there and it is remembering something it shouldnt as a fault.
Put it back in and a fresh battery with a different compact flash card and if you have one a different lens and see how you get on. If the problem goes away you have narrowed it down to one of the following:

Dodgy CF card
Dodgy battery
Dodgy internal battery
Dodgy lens

You can then work out which one it is. If you ring Canon they will tell you to do the same if this does not work then as a last resort you will need to send it to either Lehmanns or Fixation etc for a quote.

thanks for the info, i am in the process of trying this now. i have been using the official BG-E3 grip for ages with no problems. also, where i said it would turn on but not off and then on again, this only seems to happen with the grip on, not without.

right now i have the CR2016 battery out and 2 other lenses and 1 other CF card to try.

Back