Dead Cormorant Pilling Sands ***WARNING IMAGES***

Dave there is a a link on the BTO webpage, LINK .. click the image of the ring type and complete and submit the form (y)

Thanks Martyn

I spent ages filling it and the form didnt work but a window opened my email with the email addy in it so I wrote it all out again attached the images and google map to exact place, lets hope they get back to me

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Martyn

I spent ages filling it and the form didnt work but a window opened my email with the email addy in it so I wrote it all out again attached the images and google map to exact place, lets hope they get back to me

Dave

If you don't get any joy let me know by PM and I shall have a word with one of the local bird ringers (y)

Thanks martyn, just about to up date the thread, Ive just received an email confirmation from the form I filled it so it must have reached them, when I clicked send it said null, I just assumed it hadnt been sent, but it must have, thanks again for your kind offer (y)

Dave

Thats a dead 1,

maybe a bit black on white :naughty:

No really it a species of cormorant (y)

Native of Spain originally I think so rare in UK

Last edited:
Pied Shag is from New Zealand and has never been anywhere near Europe.
the bird in your picture is a juvenile European (or Common) Shag - hence it being ringed as a nestling in the British Isles.

thanks A lady said it was a pied, you seem to know a lot, you just asked what a pied shag is, you been googling

Last edited:
Hi

UPDATE Heres the report from BTO

Dear Dave F Barker Thank you for taking the time to report to us details of a bird ring you found.

Information about this bird and its movements is given below. If you notice any errors in the information, please return it (or a copy) with your corrections, so we can update our records. Ringing Scheme: London Ring Number: 5243099 Species of bird: Cormorant

This bird was ringed by North Solway RG as age Nestling, sex Unknown on 15-Jun-2010 at Little Ross, Borgue, Dumfries and Galloway, OS Map reference NX6543, co-ordinates 54deg 46min N 4deg 6min W.

It was found on 05-Sep-2010 at Pilling Sands, Pilling, Lancashire, OS map reference SD3851, co-ordinates 53deg 57min N 2deg 57min W. The bird was: Freshly dead Bird Found Remarks: On beach

It was found 82 days after it was ringed, 118 km from the ringing site, direction SE. Bird Ringing in Britain & Ireland is organised by the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology).

Each year over 900,000 birds are ringed in Britain & Ireland, by over 2,500 highly trained bird ringers, most of whom are volunteers. Ringing began over 100 years ago to study the movements of birds. While it continues to generate information about movements, it also allows us to study how many young birds leave the nest and survive to breed as adults, as well as how many adults live from year to year and how many birds disperse to different breeding sites.

Collection of this information helps us to understand why bird populations increase or decline – vital information for conservation. After over a hundred years of bird ringing in Britain & Ireland there is still much more to learn! Bird ringers are highly trained volunteers who follow a careful training process that can take several years to ensure that they have the necessary skills to catch and ring birds while ensuring that the birds’ welfare is always the most important consideration.

The Ringing Scheme is managed by a professional team at the BTO under the direction of a Ringing Committee.

Last edited:
Thats very interesting we have about 11 Cormorants here flying up and down the Severn in Worcester and one of them has a white front, so I can take it that thats the youngster then..must try and get some serious shots of them.

Back