Dead DSLR's

Edit My Images
Yes
Why do DSLR's pass away? What finally kills them off?

Do they genuinely last until you're ready to upgrade?

How many shots could a DSLR take before it breaks? What's the most you've done?

General DSLR life stories would be good...

I heard a 50D is rated to 100,000 shots, is this true or false?

Has anyone got any record stats or anything like that?

heard recently of a canon 350d dying at 9months old and about 15,000 actuations.

the joys of dust + water inside camera's!!

Why do DSLR's pass away? What finally kills them off?

They're electronic consumer goods - they can die as soon as you take them out the box, or they can last for years and years.

Do they genuinely last until you're ready to upgrade?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't :shrug:

How many shots could a DSLR take before it breaks? What's the most you've done?

Anywhere between 1 and 1 million

General DSLR life stories would be good...

I heard a 50D is rated to 100,000 shots, is this true or false?

Has anyone got any record stats or anything like that?

There are sites that list expected shutter life for cameras, but like cars it all depends on how you treat them and, more importantly, your Donald Duck.......;)

Well my 400D has taken roughly 50,000-60,000 shutter accuations since July last year ;) And that is without the previous owners shutters on top of that and it is still going strong.

Although some TPF member said that it sounded like it was wheezing everytime I pressed the shutter :LOL: 'No, Matt, not again. Leave me alone' :LOL:

Matt, can you record a little video of you pushing the shutter a few times?

Manufacturers publish mean time between failures (MTBF) numbers. This doesn't mean that your camera will last that long.

For example, an enterprise level hard drive may have a MTBF number of 1,000,000 hours. What this actually means is that if a company has 1,000 hard drives, on average, one will fail every 1,000 hours, given that it's running within normal tolerances.

It's not like milk, which has a failure time of (say) 14 days and if you have 10 bottles of milk all will go off in 14 days, rather than a few each day.

That said, mechanical goods tend to fail within the first few hours of usage or last forever (from the average consumer's standpoint, not the manufacturer's). The items that will wear in a camera will probably last longer than you.

My original 350D was working fine when I put it away one time, and then the next time I put the battery in the mirror/shutter would fire continuously - I only had that one a few months :(

My 2nd one is still going strong (reckon 35k+) but mainly uise my 30D right now.

The shutter rating that is quoted is bloomin' useless as it has no indicator of what that number is, or spread.

If it is the mean that is still useless as 1, 1000 and 1999 have the same mean as 999, 1000 and 1001 - I know which batch I'd prefer my camera to be taken from

Back