Dead hover?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I Put this image into our local camera club comp, first comp for me at advanced level. It got a highly commended but the judge said it wasn't a winner because he believed it must of been dead to get that close LOL.

102 s by John Chorley, on Flickr

I also enter photos in my camera club, I know no person can know everything,
We do not put up titles on our photos, but it's surprising what comments they come out with especially if they don't know the subject matter! Mike

Dead?

Looks like you've done an excellent job of stuffing and mounting it too :0)

He should have been amazed how close it is, not doubtful of it living...

Great shot (y).

What lens was this with by the way?

Luke

Haha I put up an extreme macro of a jumping spider and it got knocked because it wasn't all in focus and he said out loud that I should haved used a smaller aperture to give it more depth of field. I knew what the points awarded were going be. :LOL: That shot is a 10 out of 10 in my book John. ;)

Because I enter photos that are different into club competitions, I know how you feel! Judges know nothing and either guess wrongly, or give a bad critique on a subject they know bugger all about. One has to take it in ones stride, and not get too uptight about it, or you will not enter any more competitions.

absolute stunner, love everything about it, the drops on its eyes and on the blade of grass/leaf just add to it

Great photo, I know a few people who have entered photos into competitions at local camera clubs and been overshadowed by technically inferior images that are not as pleasing to the eye, unfortunately in some rare cases its more who you know than what you know with this kind of thing, that's a great image don't let the fact that it didn't win put you off cos lots of people will be envious of this shot, including me ;-)

Brilliant - think the water droplets on his eye just add that something else!

In your best Monty Python voice you should have said "it's not dead, it's just sleeping"

Cracking shot (y)

Its a great capture John, do you have anymore of it, as surely it would have moved slightly and you could prove it wasn't dead that way, especially if you have one of its tongue not out.

That is superb. And it certainly doesn't look dead to me. The colours and detail are great. Looks like it is feeding or something. Not sure of many insects/animals that die with their tongue out! :)

In your best Monty Python voice you should have said "it's not dead, it's just sleeping"

Cracking shot (y)

Its not sleeping its clearly dead and STUCK to the leaf you can see all the drops of superglue he clumsily left around the hover and leaf :wacky:

Sorry forgot to add, Lovely image John.

Last edited:
Thanks all, It hasn't put me off, comp was an open comp and the same judge kept on telling people how they should replace their "bland" sky with a more dramatic one. When he got down to the 3 winners he knocked one because " he didn't believe the sky was the original !

P.s. image was taken using Nikon 105mm 2.8 micro lens with extension tubes.

It`s that sort of attitude that put me off joining my local club, my first and last time was on a photo comp night where the judge from another club spent 2 hours pulling apart all the photos with comment like "i would have taken it a little more to the left or too many trees in front of the house" and i`m sat there thinking perhaps that`s the shot he/she wanted to take , anyway it looks alive to me and brilliant i`d be proud to have taken it(y)

It's a cracker John! As for CC judges most just don't get macro;)

Thanks again everyone, this image was retained by our external competition secretary and is now entered in the inter mersey comp, be interesting to see the next judges opinion :)

Back