Dead R5?

No idea about the sales of good act and how that'd work with grey import on top.

I agree there have been flagships with issues and Canon is generally good with support. So it's not a huge issue per say at long as you have good warranty cover. But as far as I know there no option of more than one year warranty with canon?
Is there something like apple care+ or Sony's extended warranty card you can pay extra to have?
Unless you buy from panamoz for example who provide warranty cover like e-infinity does but for 3 years.
Just for info the Sale of Goods Act has been superceded by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You won't have any rights under this legislation for a grey import as the contract will in all likelihood have been made in Hong Kong so you would need to see what consumer legislation is available there should you wish to rely on that route

Apart from these 4 unfortunate people, has there been another case, worldwide, reported? I certainly haven't heard of it and in this age of e-gossip it's usually the sort of thing that causes widespread panic and page after page of doom and gloom on every single photography forum and youtube hack video . I'm guessing that it's not unusual for an odd faulty board to get shipped with any camera. Canon will fix them without fuss as they have done in this case in a couple of days, and that will be that.

Of course in an ideal world it wouldn't happen but it is inevitable that it will from time to time. It isn't the sort of thing that people buying an 18 month old camera will worry about . Stuff like this usually fails early on in a product's life and used buyers probably won't care. Of course if it does become a major and real issue, then it's the ones who bought new who will suffer as resale values might theoretically then reduce but we're projecting a fair bit here. I'm confident Canon would take care of any issue as it arose.

It seems to me we're a long, long.long way away from that at the moment and currently. I really can't muster up the energy to manufacture some concern. If it actually does become an issue I have no doubt we will hear about it relentlessly and with full internet outrage. In the meantime I reckon we can relax, enjoy the R5 if you have it, and buy it if you want it.

I am sure there are more than 4 cases worldwide. It'd be odd if we knew about all the cases on this forum and they all seem to be only happening in UK.

Whether it's a widespread issue or just one off here and there which could happen to any camera is yet to be seen. I also think at this point it more likely to be the latter but when spending that kinda money if there is any remote chance of it being former I'm concerned.

As I said I'd buy this on warranty but not secondhand without any.

Just for info the Sale of Goods Act has been superceded by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You won't have any rights under this legislation for a grey import as the contract will in all likelihood have been made in Hong Kong so you would need to see what consumer legislation is available there should you wish to rely on that route

Thanks for the info.
Even if HK has great Sales of Goods act I am not sure fighting it across borders will be all that easy. So as far as I am concerned if it's not covered under UK law then I'm not covered at all.

I am sure there are more than 4 cases worldwide. It'd be odd if we knew about all the cases on this forum and they all seem to be only happening in UK.

Whether it's a widespread issue or just one off here and there which could happen to any camera is yet to be seen. I also think at this point it more likely to be the latter but when spending that kinda money if there is any remote chance of it being former I'm concerned.

There is no smoke without fire. I'd say it's an issue with the camera. 4 on one forum - and it isn't even that common a model yet.

I wouldn't buy one on this basis. If you need a mirrorless there is a Fuji MF thing, Z7, Z7II and loadsa Sony things out there all with good glass to work with

Interesting strip down of an R6 HERE.

Part way down they compare the heat sink materials on three other cameras with the R6 which is minimal.

Also they say " The overall fit and finish, while just fine overall, feels inferior to the original EOS R", which is something I have read on another review.

Interesting strip down of an R6 HERE.

Part way down they compare the heat sink materials on three other cameras with the R6 which is minimal.

Also they say " The overall fit and finish, while just fine overall, feels inferior to the original EOS R", which is something I have read on another review.

I found their article on the overheat timer chip interesting too - https://kolarivision.com/eos-r5-and-r6-overheating-timer-chip/

I had assumed that cameras only had a heat sensor (which they do) that turned off the cameras at a certain temperature rather than a timer chip..... kinda confuses the matters. what's the point of it?

I am sure there are more than 4 cases worldwide.** It'd be odd if we knew about all the cases on this forum and they all seem to be only happening in UK**.

**It's kind of my point. It's extremely odd that there are only references to 4 cases on this forum and absolutely nothing elsewhere. Not one instance! Zero! This is the sort of thing that everyone would jump on instantly. Forums would be ablaze, YouTube would be scandalised and everyone looking for clickbait or to make their name blog interesting would be posting endlessly about it. I mean we're bombarded with paranoid nutjob conspiracy theories all day long so a real issue would be gold for these people. All I can make out is that Paul's camera had a faulty PCB which Canon replaced.

I haven't heard of any other but if people on this forum know of three people who say they have had to have their PCB replaced and no one else knows anyone else it's odd indeed and I don't understand.

I honesty don't see what remains to be seen. Theres nothing to look for at the moment. The overheating thing has been publicised widely and Toni has linked to a discussion on an early model overheating somewhere but I haven't heard of one single case which makes me believe there is any credible suggestion of a the problem Paul had being widespread.

Thanks to this thread I will put any purchasing plans on hold until rev 2.0 or better mkii versions these things. Sony a7riv doesn't look too bad at all if I really needed something now.

The best place to buy seems to be hdew. 3 years warranty included and they are uk registered company. It shouldn't really matter that warranty is backed by 3rd party insurer, the end result is identical (well except it's not transferable)

I had assumed that cameras only had a heat sensor (which they do) that turned off the cameras at a certain temperature rather than a timer chip..... kinda confuses the matters. what's the point of it?

They must have concluded the sensor alone is not reliable enough.... Which is not encouraging. All they had to do was make the thing a bit bigger with say integrated grip 1dx style and it would be perfect.

Last edited:
**It's kind of my point. It's extremely odd that there are only references to 4 cases on this forum and absolutely nothing elsewhere. Not one instance! Zero

It's still early days so I wouldn't expect too many yet and the fact Google search is not what it used to be and is heavily favouring sponsored results, applying negative ranking for certain keywords and what not before even looking for what you asked. If you want answers get it posted on petapixels, top YouTube channels and see the kind of responses you get.

They must have concluded the sensor alone is not reliable enough.... Which is not encouraging. All they had to do was make the thing a bit bigger with say integrated grip 1dx style and it would be perfect.

I wouldn't be perfect for the price or sales. most people won't buy a huge body,

I happily shoot off 1000 photos in 20-30 minutes and see no evidence of overheating. I only shoot stills though.

Theres a lot of R5’s being sold all around the world and I know a few pros that use them extensivey day after day without any issues.

There will always be faulty cameras. Unlucky people. I bought brand new 5DSR a year ago and it had a fault requiring a new motherboard.

I think if there were serious failure issues with the R5 it‘d be all over Youtube etc.

It seriously is a great camera to use. No doubts.

It's still early days so I wouldn't expect too many yet and the fact Google search is not what it used to be and is heavily favouring sponsored results, applying negative ranking for certain keywords and what not before even looking for what you asked. If you want answers get it posted on petapixels, top YouTube channels and see the kind of responses you get.

Ah. That explains the blizzard of irrelevant crap I'm increasingly getting when doing a search lately.

Well, it wouldn't be a new high end camera without sone panic gossip, would it? The good old Internet!

BTW did you hear the US election was rigged?;)

Last edited:
E-infinity is also a UK registered company. I believe they all are.

View attachment 301921
True dat.

BTW Paul, how are you enjoying the R5 and RF system in general? I'm ashamed to say with lockdown and then foul weather and work I have hardly used mine :( I'm anticipating a spree on RF lenses in the spring though

Thanks to this thread I will put any purchasing plans on hold until rev 2.0 or better mkii versions these things. Sony a7riv doesn't look too bad at all if I really needed something now.

The best place to buy seems to be hdew. 3 years warranty included and they are uk registered company. It shouldn't really matter that warranty is backed by 3rd party insurer, the end result is identical (well except it's not transferable)

I have to say, HDEW have been fantastic in my dealings with them. Mind you Panamoz treated me very well when I bought from them too. I'd trust either.

I think you only find out how good a company is when something goes wrong.
It very easy to take a box of a shelf, stick a stamp on it and post it off to you.
The test of a good company with good customer relations, communication and customer satisfaction is how well they do when something is wrong.

I like possibly many others have had both ends of that in the past.

I think you only find out how good a company is when something goes wrong.
It very easy to take a box of a shelf, stick a stamp on it and post it off to you.
The test of a good company with good customer relations, communication and customer satisfaction is how well they do when something is wrong.

I like possibly many others have had both ends of that in the past.

Yes that's true and there's grey importers who put "authorised" dealers to shame on that score.

True dat.

BTW Paul, how are you enjoying the R5 and RF system in general? I'm ashamed to say with lockdown and then foul weather and work I have hardly used mine :( I'm anticipating a spree on RF lenses in the spring though

I'm the same mate, because photography isn't my day job and we've been in lockdown and work has been very busy, I've hardly had a chance to use it properly, I bought the RF 100-500mm and have literally only taken a couple of shots with it, I'm going to try and get out over Christmas if I can.

I wouldn't be perfect for the price or sales. most people won't buy a huge body,

Even if you feel this way I am sure you would prefer that with unlimited 8k recording times and zero stability or overheating issues and have the vertical grip supplied all inclusive as part of the body. This would be 1d series level studio camera, and it really should be considering the price which is nearly double of Sony!
I bet they will get the sports r (R1?) Looking just like that. Pricing maybe 5-6k inline with 1dx or just mere 20% extra. They can't afford any overheating or any other cockup with that or their reputation is doomed for a long time to come

Last edited:
Even if you feel this way I am sure you would prefer that with unlimited 8k recording times and zero stability or overheating issues and have the vertical grip supplied all inclusive as part of the body. This would be 1d series level studio camera, and it really should be considering the price which is nearly double of Sony!
I bet they will get the sports r (R1?) Looking just like that. Pricing maybe 5-6k inline with 1dx or just mere 20% extra. They can't afford any overheating or any other cockup with that or their reputation is doomed for a long time to come
Agreed - however I think the ‘pro’ bodied mirrorless cameras will come when battery life has improved significantly

Nope wouldn't buy a huge body. I find it unnecessary and gets in the way of photography.
making the bogy bigger is not the only way to manage heat. Sony A7SIII proves that. And if you cannot do 8K without being able to cool it adequately its better to drop that feature. but R5/6 overheat even with 4k settings. looking at all online tear-downs it seems managing the heat has been an after thought.

Last edited:
Agreed - however I think the ‘pro’ bodied mirrorless cameras will come when battery life has improved significantly

"Pro" body size allows the use of much larger batteries, just like they were for DSLRs. It may likely be a revised 1dx battery just like r5 uses revised 5d cell

Nope wouldn't buy a huge body. I find it unnecessary and gets in the way of photography.
making the bogy bigger is not the only way to manage heat. Sony A7SIII proves that. And if you cannot do 8K without being able to cool it adequately its better to drop that feature. but R5/6 overheat even with 4k. looking at all online tear-downs it seems managing the heat has been an after thought.

That's your choice. But the fact a7siii with much more limited output options and crippled photo Res manages head doesn't rule the options to manage heat in a larger space. You can have all your thermal pads, heatsinks and even a fan if necessary. Only question is how hot would you allow the outside to be and that's to do with the end user in the first place.
I think we will have to accept that smaller bodies for the time being will have very clear limitations: one of overheating, timers, resolution, video resolution and certainly battery life. That's why there should be two distinct mobility and pro lines

Probably won't have long to wait to find out as the new R1 or whatever it's going to be called is rumoured to be out next year. I'm guessing it will be a chunky big thing around 21mp or so with all the rugged qualities of a fully pro body. Most of us wont need or want it and I certainly have no desire make life needlessly hard for a hobby but I'm guessing it will be great for the very small select group who do need something like it :)

Probably won't have long to wait to find out as the new R1 or whatever it's going to be called is rumoured to be out next year. I'm guessing it will be a chunky big thing around 21mp or so with all the rugged qualities of a fully pro body. Most of us wont need or want it and I certainly have no desire make life needlessly hard for a hobby but I'm guessing it will be great for the very small select group who do need something like it :)

If you believe any long term rumours from canonrumors.com it will have that 20mp sensor but not from r6. Global shutter was mentioned and if that is the case it is groundbreaking development. Also quad pixel at, and you bet full raw video and my guess no limitations.
I would be more than happy with this and 20mp for most of my commercial work. That's plenty for 36" print anyway. Also it keeps storage down and is easier on pc. I have 5ds for high Res work.

Yes, it sounds juicy for sure but the weight would be the dealbreaker for me and something I wouldn't be interested in for my uses which as I say are amateur. I was tempted by (and very nearly bought) a 1DX a while back but when I examined it in the shop I realised it wasn't going to work for me. Interestingly it didn't feel that bad when I was holding it in my hands because the balance and grip was good, but the thought of lugging it around while walking about would bother me.

I did buy a 500mm f4 lens recently and I'm prepared to accept lugging that to a specific location as and when I choose but not having to take a heavy camera with me on every photographic trip I make.

If you're a pro out in all sorts of conditions it's a different story of course.

Back