Dead R5?

What will be interesting is if Canon then provide any warranty on that work provided.
I'll be certainly asking the question.

6 months for the particular issue is standard

Apple M1 MacBook Air and it's terrific but do wonder if there might be a "gotcha" later down the line.

I think there already is one. I've seen reports of bricking when trying to restore from some older intel backup disk. Can't verify this

I think there already is one. I've seen reports of bricking when trying to restore from some older intel backup disk. Can't verify this

not really a "gotcha" down the line. that'll probably only happen on your first setup and you will basically get a new replacement pretty much straightaway.

I got my 13" MBP in 2018, cost me £2300..to think a MBP half the price now can outperform it twice over is a bitter pill to swallow...I am determined to use it at least 2 more years before replacing it to get my money's worth. It's a great machine except for the heat, it gets uncomfortably hot over what seemingly normal task like backing up to cloud.

My 16 inch is the same, cost me over £3k, 8 core i9, 8GB GPU, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, it flies but gets very hot very quickly.
I have to use a laptop stand when using it, whether it's on a desk or on my knee.

@gmpix I had an issue with a MacBook pro - 5 (free) motherboard replacements later they replaced the Macbook for me. I had paid extra for the 3 year warranty if I remember rightly. It was a pain at the time, but it was replaced with a better machine 1TB SSD which was the nearest to my 750GB HD plus everything else equal or better. There was a recall on that model then, even for ones out of warranty, so if there's a gotcha you might be okay. It has kept going faultlessly now for 5 years, but I do use it on a tray with a fan when I'm processing photos to keep it cooler.

@Hanley keep us updated. I have just bought a grey R5 and love it so far.

When my 5D4's SD card slot's spring mechanism was broken and would not hold down a SD card, they replaced the PCB, wiping all my settings in the process. I have Platinum CPS so the turnaround was literally fixed inside a week from posting to return to my hand. I think I sent it off Monday, I had it back on Thursday.

The main motherboard was dead so it had to have a new one plus labour and vat I would of thought they would of exchanged instead of leaving him weeks without one ?

Oh no don't say that :(
I'm now a platinum CPS member so I was hoping they would turn it around in 3 days.

I've got a client who wants me to photograph a construction site on Thursday, the only time I've left myself without a backup body, sold the R and planned to get an R6 for a backup but haven't ordered it yet.

Live and learn I guess. :)

Ah no - could you hire something? Does Cruso's comment just above mean that the motherboard was fried by the heat?

Last edited:
Oh no don't say that :(
I'm now a platinum CPS member so I was hoping they would turn it around in 3 days.

I've got a client who wants me to photograph a construction site on Thursday, the only time I've left myself without a backup body, sold the R and planned to get an R6 for a backup but haven't ordered it yet.

Live and learn I guess. :)

Call up and speak to someone. One time they didn't register my level and soon as they noted it, i got bumped up. You ever used it? You will get a quote first, and then you need to pay and they won't start work until you have paid it. So check your email, soon as it comes in, call up and pay it.

Call up and speak to someone. One time they didn't register my level and soon as they noted it, i got bumped up. You ever used it? You will get a quote first, and then you need to pay and they won't start work until you have paid it. So check your email, soon as it comes in, call up and pay it.

Thanks mate, I'll give them a call :) Never used CPS membership before.

Thanks mate, I'll give them a call :) Never used CPS membership before.

You get a bunch of fluorescent yellow stickers that says "CPS Member" or 'Platnium CPS" or something when you join, you are meant to stick it on the parcel box that you send in so they can pick it out from the crowd. Otherwise they need to note it from the form you fill in, that time I didn't stick the sticker on and they just didn't note my level from the form. I call up after like a week and wondering how long it was going to take.

I rang them up, they have to quarantine all boxes for 24 hours so it'll be opened and booked in tomorrow.
She said I'll get an email advising the cost and I then just ring them and pay / confirm to go ahead and it'll be turned around in 2-3 days.

So good news it'll be early next week and hopefully I can claim the cost back from E-Infinity.

Man that's a bummer :( I hope you get it sorted out quickly. From all accounts E-infinty seem pretty good for this sort of thing and do they not also give an extended warranty of 3 years? That must be a comfort when Canon only do one.

Thanks all
I was gutted but as a lifelong early adopter when it comes to tech I will never learn :ROFLMAO:
Not sure if it helps but I'm a platinum member of CPS and when I dropped my 400 f2.8 and took it to Elstree for repair I asked for and got a loaner lens - it arrived next day and I had it until a part arrived from Japan and my repair was done. They might lend you a body if you ask.

That's an interesting question re the warranty on non warranty work! I imagine it's 6 months. It was on my out of warranty but grey imported 1DX2.

I have to say the dilemma here was two fold, first supply in the UK is so bad then if you are desperate to get your hands on one then it's the grey market. The second of course is warranty which no matter if it's local or grey imported the cover you get is only for manufacturers defects. This very much appears to be a manufacturing problem ( fingers crossed Canon agree ) so you'll have to pay and claim it back but , on the other hand you probably paid a lot less than the UK selling price of £4200, currently e-infinity are nearly £800 less so even if you have to pay out of your own pocket if it's below the saving you are still in pocket and have had the benefit of owning one for longer! Not perfect but better than looking at it as all gloom!

they started repairing without giving you an estimate?
You normally set limits which, if they are higher than the estimated repair they proceed to undertake the work. It saves time if you want your gear back asap. You won't get it released for sending back until the bill is paid though.

I have to say the dilemma here was two fold, first supply in the UK is so bad then if you are desperate to get your hands on one then it's the grey market. The second of course is warranty which no matter if it's local or grey imported the cover you get is only for manufacturers defects. This very much appears to be a manufacturing problem ( fingers crossed Canon agree ) so you'll have to pay and claim it back but , on the other hand you probably paid a lot less than the UK selling price of £4200, currently e-infinity are nearly £800 less so even if you have to pay out of your own pocket if it's below the saving you are still in pocket and have had the benefit of owning one for longer! Not perfect but better than looking at it as all gloom!
Exactly the way I look at it.

I have been pleasantly surprised that the two bits of kit I have sent back to Elstree have cost less than I imagined they might. I wouldn't consider sending them anywhere else now to be honest. The return service is brilliant, work done and dusted and returned in two days.

I have been pleasantly surprised that the two bits of kit I have sent back to Elstree have cost less than I imagined they might. I wouldn't consider sending them anywhere else now to be honest. The return service is brilliant, work done and dusted and returned in two days.

I have no idea why people send it to 3rd party places when there is an official Canon repair in the country. You know the parts will be OEM, you get an official receipt with it, it comes with a warranty and the cost isn't that high really.

Completely agree.

It also can explain a lot of things, when I sent in my 35L to replace the window in the focus distance screen, they replace the entire barrel of the lens, meaning the serial number changed too. I rather have an official Canon Letterhead receipt showing the work done, listing "new barrel" with new serial number on paperwork than a 3rd party, no matter how well known they are. I put that receipt together with the original box, which obviously has the old serial number now. But the receipt connects them together so if someone questions it, the Canon Receipt explains it.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to know! Off topic but about Canon repairs in general , as Raymond Lin says, they are not as expensive as you expect them to be. They arranged a pre paid address label for me to send my camera in and it was free postage on return. My IDX2 had a replacement top dial, replacement covers on the grips, was cleaned inside and out, re calibrated and all for £166 inc VAT. A few years ago (5?) I drove the 200+ miles return journey to a well known authorised dealer, waited a few hours while I had my sensor cleaned and it cost me £70. The sensor was clean but in doing so they had dislodged dirt which now appeared as black spots in the viewfinder as it was on the prism. When I queried it they said it didn't interfere with taking shots but if I wanted them to clean that it would cost nearly £300. Stick with Canon!!

I'm on the phone to them now.
Camera needed a new mainboard, so that's been fitted and camera reset so it'll be like opening a new box and I'll have to redo all my settings.

Cost was £527 and carries a 6 month warranty for any similar issues.

Hopefully it's being dispatched today. :)

Last resort, do you have insurance? I once got money back for repairs from my insurance for 2 broken flashes. They asked for photos of damage and proof. Of course you can't send them photo of internal fault but hopefully the receipt they send you will be proof enough. It's a last resort and they can only deny your claim.

E-infinity said they would re-imburse me so I've sent them the invoice from Canon.
I do have insurance so that wold be my last resort I guess.

Even with the repair cost it still works out cheaper than buying in the UK, Canon now give me a 6 month warranty on the mainboard which takes me beyond one year of ownership.

I'm on the phone to them now.
Camera needed a new mainboard, so that's been fitted and camera reset so it'll be like opening a new box and I'll have to redo all my settings.

Cost was £527 and carries a 6 month warranty for any similar issues.

Hopefully it's being dispatched today. :)

If it does seem to be that a few of these are failing for the same reason, that'll be a bit of a hit for the importers.

Back