Critique Deadly in pink

It's very nicely done, nice expression, pose & processing. The crit below is all minor so take it with a pinch of salt..
  • Maybe the skin processing is a tiny bit overdone
  • I'd tidy up some of the stray hair and liquify the bow so it isn't quite so quirky
  • The lighting is nice but I'm not sure that this fairly moody & modern looking lighting style suits pin-up stuff. Flatter light and stronger colours are more common for this genre
  • Similar, it's a smidge under-exposed for this genre - it's perfectly ok if that's what you were after, just doesn't look quite right to me. I'd boost the midtones a fair bit, add some pinkish tones to the highlights and maybe lift the black point too. I'd have a go but you've got edit images set to 'no'.

Last edited:
Thanks again for taking the time Simon, much appreciated.

It's very nicely done, nice expression, pose & processing. The crit below is all minor so take it with a pinch of salt..
  • Maybe the skin processing is a tiny bit overdone
  • I'd tidy up some of the stray hair and liquify the bow so it isn't quite so quirky
  • The lighting is nice but I'm not sure that this fairly moody & modern looking lighting style suits pin-up stuff. Flatter light and stronger colours are more common for this genre
  • Similar, it's a smidge under-exposed for this genre - it's perfectly ok if that's what you were after, just doesn't look quite right to me. I'd boost the midtones a fair bit, add some pinkish tones to the highlights and maybe lift the black point too. I'd have a go but you've got edit images set to 'no'.
Skin: I thought I'd used a light touch here, she has very good skin anyway ... I did use frequency separation in PS, with a pixel width of no more than 5 ...
Lighting: I sort of like some shadows there so I guess I tend towards that more so. Hadn't really thought of this as a pin up shot, but you are correct it is - oops.
Exposure: I agree. Looking at it this morning it does look a tad under, I actually dialled it back -0.2 last night as it looked slightly over then. I may have to turn the brightness down on the monitor a tad as this isn't the first time I've done this. Boosting mid tones I can do, adding pink to the highlights may be the challenge for me ... I tried lifting the black point and hated it so maybe it needs be done in conjunction with other tweaks.
I really need to develop the skills to tidy stray hairs, I've tried it in LR and it rarely looks great so have been trying in PS too - hopeless doesn't come close! But I'll get there. As for liquify ... one step at a time :)

I have edits set to no because I have seen some truly horrendous edits done by well-meaning folk on other people images. I'll pm you a link to the tiff file (I'll put the exposure back to where it was) if that's ok.

Back