Death of a pet, help needed

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

My in laws have just lost their beloved doggy after 14yrs :crying:, my 3 yr old son also loved said doggy.

Any idea's about how I tell him that the dog has gone? :shrug:

Any help appreciated

This is something we've had to explain to our kids a few times as both our parents have/had many pets. We've just explained that the animal was old and has now gone to heaven, we've often found that a photograph has helped, our boys have kept all the photographs (some in frames) that we have given them.

Obviously he'll be upset but kids are robust and I'm sure he will soon get over it.

Hope this helps.

It does, Cheers Hacker.(y)

Must admit that is what I was going to do, I have a lovely photo of Gofor sat in a stream so will get it printed off for him to put in his memory book thingy

Good luck :) Will they be getting a new doggy?

Reminds me, my dog is getting on now, must be 13yrs old :(

My mum is odd in that respect, she won't have pictures of animals or people who have passed on. My sister simply told her kids that the kitty has gone to heaven, she put more thought into that chat than when our Gran died simply telling them she was dead!

Difficult subject with varying degree's of reaction from the little people, good luck.

Be honest, otherwise he might not understand fully when he grows up.

Sorry to hear it :(

It's a tough one isn't it. Hard also for those who don't have pets to understand just how much those little four legged people can be part of your family too.

Good luck with your tough conversation.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, not looking forward to tonights conversation :(

I will go with the honesty bit and hope that he understands, (if he doesn't then I think I may have to go with the farm thing, thanks Joe (y))

That is a lovely link Andrea, may not help as I could not read that without tears in my eyes :bang:

Hope it goes ok tonight. I think the truth will probably work the best. I sometimes think children get over the loss of a pet quicker than adults, certainly when they are younger. The older you get the harder it can be.

Hope it goes ok tonight. I think the truth will probably work the best. I sometimes think children get over the loss of a pet quicker than adults, certainly when they are younger. The older you get the harder it can be.

True, Kids are very resiliant really, he is a happy little chappy generally so should go ok (y)

tell him hes gone to the rainbow bridge and their are lots of websites about rainbow bridge on the internet thats wat i did when my dog died in december :(

Honesty is the only way, I had to tell my 2 girls that their grampy had died last week, very suddenly, Ok my girls are a bit older 6 and 9 but they are very resilient and you will be amazed how quickly they bounce back, my 9 year old still went to school the day that I told her and the youngest has dealt with it in her own way and both are fine and doing OK, we talk about him every night which seems to be harder for me than them.

Thanks all, tis much appreciated.

Went for the honesty, not too sure he understood but he said he would give Grandpa a big hug as he was sad so fingers crossed(y)

Couldn't do the rainbow bridge thing Ashers and Staffitaxi, made us both cry:crying:

Sorry to hear that Dave, I think the kids cope better than the adults really:(

i was devistated wen my dog died 2 months back im still not over it

Always hard to this isn't it? Your little lad might like to draw a picture of the doggy and give it to Grandpa to cheer him up. I think even very young children can express feelings through drawing, and you can always give him a bit of help to give him a chance to talk about it, if he wants to.

My dog, Judy, died in September last year. She was 14 years old and she had been with me since she was 5 months old.

This may sound silly but I told things to Judy that I had not told anyone else... she was so special to me and 5 months on I still miss her - infact for the first time over the weekend I heard the song 'Hey Jude' and it bought it all back to me.

I read a lot about Rainbow bridge...there is something inside me that hopes that one day we will meet up again and I can take her for another long walk... ok ok i'm stopping now as I can feel myself getting upset again...

The crux of this is that loosing a loved pet is never easy but its always best to face it head on and go with the truth.

Came in a bit too late to help Robin, just adding my condolences

Once again my heartfelt thanks to all who have offered help and wishes.

Good idea about the drawing Jeangenie, I struggle to draw a stick:bang: but will have a go (y)

Where would we all be without our beloved pets:shake:

Back