Decent ball(head)s in the UK

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've finally got around to buying a decent tripod (a Gitzo G1325).
I also have a decent camera (a Nikon D300). :)cuckoo: to you Canon fans.)

I have nothing to put between the two! No head or quick release plates :crying:.

I can find no end of gitzo/manfrotto heads, but seeing as I've spent so much on a nice tripod and camera I'd hate to put a cheap head between the two. I'll be asking Kerso for a quote, but I thought I should shop around as well. I can't find anything through google, so I was wondering if anybody knew of decent UK stockists that don't charge ridiculous prices? As far as acceptable brands go, Really Right Stuff, Markin and Acratech look like the most solid manufacturers.

Thanks in advance!

:exit:

For my D200, D300 and now D3 I have used an Arca Swiss Monoball Z1 (SP), from Robert White, with the appropriate L-plate from RRS. Unfortunately RRS only sell direct, so I've always ordered from their website and paid the premium (both in terms of P&P costs and the import duty, which is collected upon delivery).

The Z1 is superb - so easy to use it's unbelievable. I use it with a set of Gitzo GT3530LSV legs. All of these products are premium, but having done lots of research I figured it was worth the investment for a stable rig from day one.

Incidentally, now that I've just upgraded to a D3, I'm trying to sell my D300 (with grip) - which means I have a RRS BMBD10-L going spare. I would sell it for a sensible price (my new BD3-L is on order).

Try a Novoflex Magicball - it's like an upside down ball and socket head - in other words the ball is fixed to the tripod and the camera is screwed to the socket. Sounds weird, but it's very flexible, with fewer limitations to its movements than a normal B&S.

There's a huge knob on the socket which you screw in to the camera base plate; this is so quick you don't need a quick release plate. Its a beautiful looking piece of equipment as well.

They're available in three sizes from Speedgraphic.

I've got two!!

Back