Decent, first flash for around £100 2nd hand?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Really want to get into flash photography and so need at least one external flash to get me started.

I have a 20D.

I've been looking around and have considered units like the Sigma EF-500 DG Super or Speedlite 420EX, which seem to fetch around £100 2nd hand.

Then there are flashes like the Vivitar 285HV that seem to be well regarded for their price, but are they any good for on the camera work, or just a good budget slave flash?

I'm looking to get a flash that I can use for a bit of everything to begin with, before looking at slaves, etc.

Also come across a few Sunpak flashes, PF30X, PZ40X, PZ42X, etc that seem quite cheap.

Any recommendations?

Go for a secondhand 550ex, bombproof and will last longer than the 580ex.

550EX seem to fetch a little more second hand, cheapest I think I've seen is around £150.

Are they worth it over the EF-500 Super?

Cheers Andrew, just had a look around on here and noticed that someone recently sold a 550ex for £120, so not quite as dear as I thought.

£120 is a very good price. I haven't seen one go for less than about £150...

Your other option is maybe a 430?

Reason I suggested 550EX is that it will act as a wireless master and the OP suggested he may wish to expand. The 430EX would be a jolly good flash and will certainly act as a slave. The alternative would be to use wireless trigger systems such as the Cactus PT04

I wanted a 550EX but decided in the end that they were going for a little more than I was willing to pay for what in my case is pretty light usage. I ended up buy a used EF-530 DG Super from the for sale section on her for a little over £100 and I've been very impressed with it, the build quality is good and it's nothing like as complicated to use as people make out. I decided against the Canon 430EX as it just seems very over proced for what you get.

Back