Decent monitor on budget. Dell U2415?

Name
Marcin
Edit My Images
Yes
Right now I'm slowly selling my MBP with it's gorgeous screen to make switch to PC, and I will need to get some decent screen to view my pictures. The problem is, my budget doesn't really allow to get something like Eizo or NEC so I'm looking for some alternatives which I could use by the time I'll be able to afford something professional. My current research shows that Dell U2415 should be fine, since price, size and colours seems to be just fine for amateur editing. Any thoughts?

Have a look at the DELL U2515H and see if can source it at a decent price. It's got a higher resolution so plenty space for your editing and colours are pretty spot on out of the box.

Which MacBook Pro are you selling? By gorgeous I assume it's a 15" Retina of some sort?

Great idea, it's just £25 pricier and offers a lot more. Thanks!
I'm selling 2015 MBP 13 inches. After calibration it's the best laptop screen I've seen in something produced on bigger scale (just hp's dreamcolor is better)

Been using a Dell UItrasharp for the last couple of years - get it calibrated and its perfect.
I think mines the 24" version of the above.

So it's settled I think. Depending on budget I will take 24 or 25 inch version. Thanks guys

if you get U2515H you will need to get used to the control buttons as they a bit crazy :) my mate got 3 of those screens, all of them with funny power button (google u2515h power button). also screens not perfectly exactly same colour reproduction (not calibrated). but if you use just one screen not a big deal. Myself i use 2x U2413 and they are amazing :)

This power button seems like not that big of a deal, but I guess it can get irritating. I will calibrate my monitor at least once per quarter so colours shouldn't be that big of a deal. But maybe there are other options out there? Ideally under £250

Edit: This 2413 has huge colour gamut, and it's around £250 - we have competitor here.

Last edited:
This power button seems like not that big of a deal, but I guess it can get irritating. I will calibrate my monitor at least once per quarter so colours shouldn't be that big of a deal. But maybe there are other options out there? Ideally under £250

Edit: This 2413 has huge colour gamut, and it's around £250 - we have competitor here.

Edit2: There is also Dell UP2516D with PremierColor (just like 2413) available from ictsales for £239, seems like bargain.

can't remember how much i paid for those several years ago (u2413) but it was nearly £500 each if I remember it correctly so for £250 its a great buy. you can do hardware calibration with X-Rite i1 Display Pro (https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-calibrate-dell-u2413-u2713h-u3014-monitors/)

(I never used it tho)

U2515 great and with thin bazels (which is nice if you have 2+ monitors)

decisions decisions :)

Yeah, you're right. But still cheaper than 2515 and it offers wider colour gamut and hopefully normal power button ^^

U2413 dont forget is 1920x1200 so you might want something higher resolution

It's gonna be a tough one between u2413 and up2516d I would opt for newer and higher resolution monitor but, it also means that I'll need more powerful graphics card to drive it (can't wait for me: andromeda). Right now I build rig with gtx 1060 6gb but I might upgrade it to 1070 8gb.

GTX 1060 drives 3x U2515 via DP no problems (thats what my mate using, he is not gaming tho, just one crazy developer)

Yeah, this new cards can drive few monitors no problem. But gaming is a different thing, 1440p is way more demanding than 1080p.

Yeah, this new cards can drive few monitors no problem. But gaming is a different thing, 1440p is way more demanding than 1080p.

true is :) depending on title of the game it could be GTX1070 just won't be enough to get max graphic settings (to get solid 60fps and more with vsync enabled) ;) But I'm sure for andromeda (masseffect?) GTX1060 should run on max settings so you may won't need GTX1070 ;)

I hope so, otherwise I would have to increase my budget by £200 o_O anyway, when I will sell my Mac and build my set up I will post my thoughts :)

Dell is always a save bet whatever the budget. I bought a viewsonic ips after reading reviews.

Edit2: There is also Dell UP2516D with PremierColor (just like 2413) available from ictsales for £239, seems like bargain.

I just switched my whole set up, that included getting two new monitors. In the end I went for a pair of u2515H. I was looking at the 2516D as the prices were similar, and of course you get the wider gamut. In the end I decided I didn't really need the wide gamut, also there are far too many reports of problems with the 2516D panels; crappy uniformity, etc. the 2515H is tried and tested, and has served a lot of people well, for a long time. s***ty power button aside - both of mine can take several presses to turn on or off on occasion. Not really much of an issue once or twice a day though, and much better than having a screen that doesn't show you what your photos actually look like.

Yeah, I think it's better to play safe with 2515 than risk panel quality with going for 2516. This button is not that big of a deal :)

Back