Decent photo paper?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I'm currently printing on Folex Imaging standard 150gsm inkjet glossy photo paper using a Canon IP3500 inkjet colour printer. My prints are dull and not the colour I expect them to be. The printer has been recently serviced. Could anyone suggest some decent photo paper that isn't too expensive, please?

There are a lot of good papers on the market. However if you are experiencing poor quality, and are using Canon inks, I would suggest you get a good reference point and try some quality Canon paper.
The printer will be optimised for this and it will give you an idea of the quality you can expect. All papers have different characteristics and using one that the printer is not set up for can give unsatisfactory results.

Ideally printing using correct paper profiles for the printer would be ideal, but lets start with finding out what the printer can deliver

I always use Ilford papers in my Canon and always with Canon ink.

I use mainly Ilford Galerie paper - gloss and 270gsm (IIRC). I also get good results from Canon's own papers (again, fairly heavy photo papers). Always genuine inks. Canon s820 and iX4000 printers.

ive been using permajet papers. They do sampler boxes of a few sheets each of 5 or 6 types which is useful.

Thanks. Yes I've seen that some companies do sample packs. Don't know why I never thought of it!

Before jumping paper, could you share the following:

1) Is your monitor calibrated?
2) Do you use the paper profiles to soft proof your prints?
3) Do you use the right color profiles when printing?

Unless you have a good color workflow, changing paper is not going to resolve your issues.

The problem is, it's a work printer and they supply the (not original) ink...which I occasionally 'borrow' to do a print or two, so I can't do much about it. I have tried printing on my OH's printer and that works much better. I don't think it was the paper after all!:oops: :$

250-270gsm paper is pretty much minimum for decent photos. My choice is one of Baryta type if you like semi-glossy.

However, a low end 4 ink printer can only do so much to produce all-round accurate colour palette...

The problem is, it's a work printer and they supply the (not original) ink...which I occasionally 'borrow' to do a print or two, so I can't do much about it. I have tried printing on my OH's printer and that works much better. I don't think it was the paper after all!:oops: :$

As Jamie on Mythbusters would say, "Well, there's ya problem!". Genuine inks will probably always give better results than cheapos - better colour rendition, longer print life (less fading) and consistency of quality.

I've used a few papers with my Epson R3000, obviously not the same as what you're using but here's what I've used and how I got on with them.

Fotospeed PF Satin, Gloss and Lustre all worked and the Platinum Baryta also gives good results.

Permajet Oyster and Ultra Pearl both gave good results. However the Ultra Pearl has a very noticeable texture compared to others I'ver used.

Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl and Smooth Gloss also give nice prints, but out of all the papers I've used these two have the strongest smell. It's like a mild 'sick' odour, you need to be very close to the print but it's only these two I've really noticed it from.

Hahnemuhle photo rag pearl is very nice, and the reviews for it are really good. However I did a set of test prints of the same image on this, Permajet Oyster, Ultra Pearl, Fotospeed PF Gloss, Lustre and Satin (I don't have A4 size of any of the others I've used). Out of them all I preferred the Hanhemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and Fotospeed PF Lustre, but it was quite close.

Overall though the best paper I've used is Canson Baryta Photographique.

To get really good prints you will need to pay meticulous attention to the finer details of how you make your print, including using a good printer, using manufacturer's inks, printer profiles and with a colour-managed screen. As the man has already advised you, "There's ya problem!". You have had lots of other good advice about paper types etc., but my fear is that it will all be money completely wasted if you continue to use a work printer and screen that are not colour-managed with the proper profiles set up. Sorry if this is a hard truth.

Back