Decent small nice looking backpack for my RB67/Pentax 645N

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks I am looking to purchas a small backpack for my medium format cameras currently an RB67 and Pentax 645N.

I will only be carrying one at a time so it just needs to be cabable of carrying the camera and maybe some extra films and in the case of the RB and extra back so relitavley compact.

Also to strap a small tripod on would be good.

I also would like it to be better looking than the average black stuff if possible oh and reasonablt priced.

Any sugesstions

For a single camera backpack, I use a Kata DR 465 DL.

I think it's better looking than a lot of bags, although definitely a functional aesthetic. It has a few pockets above the main bottom camera compartment for storing things, and also a top area for storing larger items. Camera weight is well supported and it includes a strap that you can attach a tripod to (it also has side pockets underneath the tripod strap, where I usually insert one of the tripod legs into so it stays put). The padding is excellent, and the camera section is bright yellow so you can't misplace anything.

A more detailed review, and pictures of the various things I have described are available here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/kata-dr-465-dl-rucksack-review-19889

A small hiking bag will carry the weight better if you'll be using it for any length of time and is designed to have gear lashed to it.

I've got a Lowepro Orion II, whilst it will fit the RB in the lower bit you need to use the outdoor gear section at the top for lenses and back etc and it carries the weight very badly. I usually end up with slight pain in my lower back but use a proper ruck sack and it's all good regardless of time or distance and it's just as hard to get stuff.

I am currently using a standard backpack but find it rolls about inside a bit and would like something quit compact.

I have seen some cheapo one os amazon that look ok there just dull :-(

I did a bit of research into this last week as it happens and these are the ones I'm considering.

Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L
Lowepro Versapack 200AW
Kata 3NI 22DL
Kata DR645 DL
Jessops Tecno Rucksack

They are all reasonably priced and I wanted a 2 section one so I can carry some sarnies etc as well as one of the MF cameras.

Andy

Funnily enough I have my P645 in a LowePro ProRunner 200AW as we speak (and about to head out for half an hour). That's a very compact rucksack and the camera can be made to fit snugly enough. A few other compartments for wallet, film etc too, and you'd probably squeeze your sarnies in too. And you can hang a tripod off the back of it too. Not sure it would fit an RB67 mind, that's probably a bit bigger.

I literally need a padded box with straps to be fair, compact is the key for me.

what lenses and viewfinder u got on your rb67? i have a kata 123 go 20 which is pretty similer to one of the kata bags, i could chuck my rb67 in it, see how it is :)

Funnily enough I have my P645 in a LowePro ProRunner 200AW as we speak (and about to head out for half an hour). That's a very compact rucksack and the camera can be made to fit snugly enough. A few other compartments for wallet, film etc too, and you'd probably squeeze your sarnies in too. And you can hang a tripod off the back of it too. Not sure it would fit an RB67 mind, that's probably a bit bigger.

I use a Pro-Runner 300 and have enough room for my RB67 and my digital setup with all of my films, filters, batteries etc, the whole kit and caboodle. I wouldn't say it's compact but it's not a big rucksack.

Not big but it weighs more than Bradford......:D

what lenses and viewfinder u got on your rb67? i have a kata 123 go 20 which is pretty similer to one of the kata bags, i could chuck my rb67 in it, see how it is :)

I literally want it to take the body with the 90mm attached, no extra lenses, extra film back and maybe space for a Nikon FM2N and a fifty and thats it really and a small tripod strapped on.

ok ill play about tonight if i remmber.., just if you using the slr style viewfinder its a damn big lump, but i think your using the wlf which is small :)

ok ill play about tonight if i remmber.., just if you using the slr style viewfinder its a damn big lump, but i think your using the wlf which is small :)

yep just the WLF

it fits :) i had 90mm lens, uv filter, screw in hood and lens cap, and turned out the belows where extended by about 1cm :eek:, probably better to swap how i have the layout, and have the camera on the bottom and lighter items up top.
and the pics have the old or current tripod holder, and how i take a bottle on the outside with a cheap clip off ebay. my dads similer bag has a neopreane pouch with strips of velcro to hold it in place at the bottom, which is a cheapo solution thats pretty good.
i do really notice carrying my redsnapper + ball head like that, think its because its a distance away from the spine and therefore a fair amount of leverage.
top bit is reasonable size for your lunch etc. and the bottle is normal coke bottle size :)

View attachment 7275 View attachment 7276 View attachment 7277 View attachment 7278

Update just bought the kata 123-go-30 in classifieds :)

Back