Decent Speedlight for D850

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Basically had a SB-400 for a while but never used it - Now I find it's failed when I want to use it (and find out it's actually useful)

So what is a good replacement, I'm just getting used to flashes and am a 2nd photographer at a wedding so need to sort one quite soon

Wedding not till April, so got a few months

:)

I use a Godox 860II - the battery lasts all day, and beats trying to juggle AAs around

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
@stu.h if you only want something to do a good job and be cheap, see if you can pick up an SB-800; it'll be old now so cheap, and I'm still using the one I bought new 10 years or so ago !!! As well as a much newer 8 yr old one lol

@gilbouk mine run on AAs and I've never had them run out during a Wedding, if yours did then I suspect your style is too flash dependent, which is an old fashioned way of shooting

Dave

@gilbouk mine run on AAs and I've never had them run out during a Wedding, if yours did then I suspect your style is too flash dependent, which is an old fashioned way of shooting

Couldn't be assed buying expensive rechargeables and a dedicated charger and didn't want to use a new set of Duracell's all the time. The single rechargeable battery you get with the 860II is definately more convenient, lighter and cheaper as the battery and charger are all bundled with the flash

Last edited:
Another vote for the old SB-800. I have three and the SB-910. The 800s are still my go to.

I can heartily recommend an SB700; owned one for a few years now, and whilst it doesn't have the power of the SB900/910 Or an SB800, I've never found it to be inadequate in any situation. I use mine with a very sophisticated bounce diffuser (It's a cut up plastic milk bottle!!), and it always gives fantastic results. Plus it can act as a remote/master flash with the CLS system. Not cheap, but very, very reliable and performs flawlessly.

Personally, I'd always be wary of s/h flashguns; even in good cosmetic condition, they could still have been caned hard in a studio type environment, and may be close to being knackered. I've experienced a fair few old flashguns this. You need summat reliable; an SB700 can be bought new.

Last edited:
The godox 860IIN is great and the re charge batteries last ages.

I have to say Godox... if you want smaller/lighter/cheaper they have AA battery versions (TT350N) for less than $100. I personally have switched to the 860II Li-Ion. They also have an even cheaper non-TTL speedlight that has built in radio receiver.

I still have a couple of each SB600's/800s, but I don't use them... I should sell them because a used SB800 still brings a good dollar. I also still have dozens of AA rechargeables... but at least those are still good for remotes and the like.
Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Nikon speedlights... I just don't see any real advantage to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, yes the SB-400 was second hand so going to go for new this time.
I’ll check out your recommendations (y)

Would avoid the Godox 860II if you use ttl, it works great in manual. It would be a great choice if ttl worked well but it doesn't and will often over expose. Not just basing this on my own experience I know several Nikon photographers that use these. The included rechargeable battery does save hassle using AA's though.

SB-800 is a good choice built like a tank, SB-700 is also decent and both can be bought relatively cheaply these days used as they are discontinued.

Sb800/900.

Sb800 also has an extra as battery thingymajingy was it can take 5 AA’s for faster flash recycling times.

860mk2 arriving later, thanks for your suggestions.
Now to figure out how to use the thing :pompous:

I still have a couple of each SB600's/800s, but I don't use them... I should sell them because a used SB800 still brings a good dollar. I also still have dozens of AA rechargeables... but at least those are still good for remotes and the like.
Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Nikon speedlights... I just don't see any real advantage to them.

Same here - I still have 4 SB900's but having replaced one of my D810's that expired, with a D850, they are much less useful. The D850 lacks a pop-up to talk to them with - for impromptu use where setup time is important, just popping the on-board flash meant instant off-camera TTL, If I have to put one on the camera as master, I may as well put the Godox X-Pro trigger on there. I could buy Godox receivers for them but that's just increasing the complexity and battery count. I'm not buying into Nikon's overpriced proprietary radio system.

They are all pretty much permanently in SU-4 mode these days - I just mix them in to studio setups as little accent lights - anywhere where I need a small, hard light and I could do this with a £30 Amazon basics flash... Any advantage they once had has pretty much fallen away for me.

Would avoid the Godox 860II if you use ttl, it works great in manual. It would be a great choice if ttl worked well but it doesn't and will often over expose.

Used it on D7100, D7200, D500, D850, D4s and D5 and never had that issue, TTL is fallible based on subject and had as many minor issues with the SB800 as with anything else

Mike

Those using the (much cheaper!) 3rd party flashes; what's your experience with them? I tried a couple of 3rd party jobs with little success, before pushing the boat out and buying a SB700. The 3rd party flashes were unreliable, gave inconsistent results, and weren't very well made imo, quite flimsy really. One was a Calumet branded thing, the other I can't remember. Are brands like Godox, Yongnuo etc good? Are there any brands to avoid? I bought a little Meike 320 flash as a 'travel' flash, and it mostly gives excellent results, but sometimes has issues 'communicating' with the Z6 at least. But that was about £40. I'd be loathe to spend say even £100 on a flash that let me down, over twice that and more for another SB700.

Godox aren’t quite as well built as the camera brand - but they’re head and shoulders ‘better’. @AZ6
There’s an entire family of flash products from mini speedlight, through full size speedlights, Li Ion powered speedlights, portable high powered units and studio lights, all controlled by the same transmitter in your hot shoe, whether M or iTTL.

The others? Some are better than others but why bother when the best game in town isn’t too expensive.

Last edited:
I bought a so called cheap flash and to be honest it does everything I need it to do, although I am not a heavy flash user.
It was this one LINKY but they seem to have gone up as I only paid £47 for mine.

Godox aren’t quite as well built as the camera brand - but they’re head and shoulders ‘better’. @AZ6
There’s an entire family of flash products from mini speedlight, through full size speedlights, Li Ion powered speedlights, portable high powered units and studio lights, all controlled by the same transmitter in your hot shoe, whether M or iTTL.

The others? Some are better than others but why bother when the best game in town isn’t too expensive.

Thanks. I am wary of 3rd party stuff, given my experience of such hasn't been great so far. I do find that build quality is important, as although I do try to look after my stuff, things happen and stuff gets bashed and knocked. It's life. Plus something can have all bells and whistles, but this is pointless if the thing fries due to poor quality manufacturing, and ends up being useless, or worse, damaging other kit. The SB 700 has been absolutely faultless, for years now. Sure, I agree Nikon's own flashguns are way overpriced, but at least I'm getting the best quality and reliability. If anyone has long term experience of Godox stuff being solid and reliable, then I'll have to give it some consideration.

Back