decent tripod kit for modest budget ?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am looking to upgrade to a decent tripod and head for mainly landscape photography and able to do vertical shots with it and low level if possible

My budget is round about the £100-£150 mark & I know this isnt much when you look at the many available

I have a Canon 5d mark ii and prob my heaviest lens is 70-200L F4 so would need to suit that partnership

Much help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Have a look at Redsnapper tripods, they have quite a following on here as good quality, reasonably priced kit. Redsnapper used to give a 10% discount to talkphotography members also - they might still do.

Personally I use a Three Legged Thing tripod which I find very good, but it's a little out of your budget I'm afraid - can you stretch a little?? There are a host of quality kit if you can go to £200ish.

Aled

i have a Giottos Vitruvian VGRN9255+5400-652A atr the moment.
very compact,also holds a respectable 6kg reasonably light at 1.5kg..
can be had for around £150

i would much rather have a mid-range priced ALUMINUM than a CHEAP carbon fibre (around the same price bracket) ... thats just my experience with a few tripods, so dont flame me people ;-)

Last edited:
+another 1 for redsnapper

Redsnapper for me as well. Great value for the money.

Never even heard of Redsnapper until I read on these forums. Just when I thought all the spending had stopped...

I've seen the 055XPROB with the 804RC2 at a decent price recently £140, that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment. Tempted to spend a little more and get CF though - although it looks like you need to pay through the roof to get a CF tripod which has the same stability performance as a heavier one.

I've seen the 055XPROB with the 804RC2 at a decent price recently £140, that's what I'm leaning towards at the moment. Tempted to spend a little more and get CF though - although it looks like you need to pay through the roof to get a CF tripod which has the same stability performance as a heavier one.

Have this setup! You won't regret it excellent for the price!!

I would agree that the 055Pro is an excellent choice within your budget, it will have no problems holding your gear. Another option would be to look for an original Benbo Trekker, they are excellent tripods that can be used on uneven ground very easily and can get down to ground level or lower! You should be able to pick a decent on up for about half your budget, leaving the rest for a decent three way head.

Last edited:
WEX has the XPROB for £129 also some other nice MF ones for less including a 3-way head.

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB kit (It's the 263AT tripod and the SBH-100 ball head), it's £130 here
It's the same price at Amazon as well.

Last edited:
Don't overlook Velbon tripods.

I use a Velbon Ultra Rexi L with a Manfrotto head as my back-up/travel tripod. It's brilliant value for money, incredibly compact & sturdy and extends to a decent height.

I've been really impressed with it and it copes easily with a gripped D800 plus 14-24/24-70/70-200.

They do have a decent range of great value tripods if you look at their website....

http://www.velbon.co.uk/

Mark

Last edited:
I read (somewhere, can't remember where) that it's 'best' if the load that's going on the tripod is about half the stated max that it can handle. That tripod should handle the 5d2 and 70-200L F4 easilly enough. What head are you getting with it ?

I looked at those Giottos and Manfrotto heads as well before getting the tripod kit I have.
It makes life easier if there's a quick release adapter and plate supplied with the head. I'm not sure if the Gitzo you mention comes with this ? Their accessories are pricey if it doesn't.

I didn't go for either in the end but doesn't look like there's that much between them.

Back