Decisions decisions, what camera and lens to use?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Taking a trip into Liverpool City Centre, to the newly re vamped St Johns market. Missus wants to shop, and have a nose at the newly done up place. I thought I may as well tag along, perfect excuse for getting some photos. Just deciding what camera, and or lens to take. Got a choice of my Fuji 10, or D3300 with either the 18-55 kit lens, or the 35mm 1.8G.

Part of me wants to take the X10, for portability and discreet reasons. While I would like the quality of the D3300, and possibly the kit lens for the wide angle view. Or maybe the the 35mm 1.8G lens, for its low light capabilities, for shooting indoors.

I certainly do not want to take both cameras, and both lenses. I am sure I will have my hands full, carrying shopping bags. Just not sure what option to do :confused:.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter. Take whichever you feel most comfortable with. Then when you are there just adjust your shooting style to suit.

Liverpool One and the whole city centre has so many possibilities that you will/should come away with decent stuff.

I've been with both FF 5D3 and Fuji X series. Never felt restricted.

Thought you came from 'pule direction. Have you never been before?

It doesn't really matter. Take whichever you feel most comfortable with. Then when you are there just adjust your shooting style to suit.

Liverpool One and the whole city centre has so many possibilities that you will/should come away with decent stuff.

I've been with both FF 5D3 and Fuji X series. Never felt restricted.

Thought you came from 'pule direction. Have you never been before?

I am leaning towards the D3300 and the 35mm, mainly for being able to get a faster shutter speed. Just wondering if the crop factor will be too tight, on the 35mm though?
Been to the market hundred of times, just not since it has been done up.

Yes from the area, just moved twenty mins down the road, and into Cheshire :).

Persuade your wife to take a big handbag ... then you can put the 35mm onto your D3300 and slip the 18-55 into her bag. :)

I think the 35mm will give you a good shooting distance / angle though.

Persuade your wife to take a big handbag ... then you can put the 35mm onto your D3300 and slip the 18-55 into her bag. :)

I think the 35mm will give you a good shooting distance / angle though.
Trouble is, if missus gets her way, her bag will be filled with her goodies.

Being in an enclosed shopping centre, may result in images being too cropped. Just not too sure, I still have a day to think it over though :).

You won't go too far wrong with either tbh, the city centre has ample opportunities for photos and if you have time there is also the waterfront where you will be able to go mad. Personally i have always found that the kit lens offers a decent focal range in liverpool but occasionally a bit more reach is also nice.

Take the Nikon and stick the other lens in your pocket ;) Or alternatively play around with street photography with the 35mm.

Just take the d3300 and kit lens set it to manual focus to 2m, f8, 23mm, ISO 1600 and blast away! :)

Last edited:
When did being 'discreet' ever lead to better photographs? And why would you need a zoom lens in such a simple environment?

The crop dslr & the large aperture 50mm equivalent are all you need. Agony over. Tune in!

When did being 'discreet' ever lead to better photographs? And why would you need a zoom lens in such a simple environment?

The crop dslr & the large aperture 50mm equivalent are all you need. Agony over. Tune in!
18-55 kit lens, for the 18mm wide angle (y).

Thanks for your comments...

Last edited:
I think I will take the D3300, and the kit lens. That is if anybody is interested, or could be ar**d what I do :rolleyes:.

Stick the 35mm in your pocket and take both.

I will give the 35mm a whirl around town, next time I visit the Centre.

Anyway, I took the D3300 and the kit lens around the city centre this morning. Pretty please with the results, both indoors and around the city.

Back