Decisions on thinning out cameras

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
So following my most recent acquisitions I put together a list of my cameras and realise I may have too many, mainly because a few have half-finished rolls of film in them that I keep meaning to finish. Also I'm struggling to decide which ones to take out shooting. Much as I like collecting cameras I also like actually shooting film so I need to find a happy middle ground where I have enough different ones that I don't get bored (and start buying more) but the choices for different situations aren't too hard. However I also see nothing wrong with buying a second hand camera that I'm interesting in trying, shooting a couple of rolls, then selling it one. Most of these aren't exactly dropping in value.

My current list (I really can't be bothered to list lenses but all the SLRs except the Minolta have at least a decent wide angle, 50mm and zoom in their respective mounts -

Film -

Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 524/2
Agfa Karat
Minolta SR-1
Canon AE-1 Program
Fujica AZ-1
Fujica ST 705-W
Yashica MAT EM
Pentax Spotmatic
Zorki 5
Olympus Trip 35
Olympus XA

Digital -

Canon EOS 1100d
Sony DSC-S70 (listed for completeness but probably going soon - no interest in keeping it)

I ideally want -

2 medium format, one TLR and one reasonably "compact". Because I love the experience of shooting a TLR with the big viewfinder but sometimes I want the medium format in a more practical option.
2 35mm SLRs (to have bw and colour options), probably both on the same system or at least same lens mount
1 really compact 35mm to have on me most of the time (this is currently the XA)
Maybe a more 'novelty' option (e.g. the Zorki)
And the DSLR for most "professional" work.

The medium formats I think are easy - the Yashica I love and if I can solve the fungus in the Ikonta that's the more compact version. Or I'll buy a better version - I really like it already and the negative size is a big plus.

I've already pretty much decided on selling on the Trip, because the XA is smaller and has easier focussing. The SR-1 isn't in great condition and I only have 2 lenses for it. I think the shutter may have had it anyway. The Karat needs the extra film canister things to load it which is a lot of fiddling and from what I know the IQ isn't worth all the hassle compared to the other cameras I have.

I love the Zorki and also have 2 Jupiter lenses for it (with M42 adaptor incidentally).

For SLRs I could keep the AZ-1 and Spotmatic (the st705 has a messed up ground glass and was found in a shed so isn't great but the AZ-1 is in good condition) as they're both M42 mount. However I have a large amount of accessories for the AE-1 including filters, extension tubes etc, it's in great condition and I'm a big Canon fan. So another Canon SLR could be a good option to have 2 film choices at any one time plus some variety. Maybe an earlier manual one (don't really like the fact the AE-1 won't work without the battery).

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Yes. I've been doing the same mental exercise for the last 6 months and only now seem to have a way forward! :D

What you want to keep is going to be very much a personal preference thing. I've been swinging from one extreme to another while trying to decide and have come close to getting rid of everything except my phone camera, thinking that I'll then be able to start again fresh. I'm now in a position where I think I know what I'm going to do ... but ........

Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 524/2
Agfa Karat
Minolta SR-1
Canon AE-1 Program
Fujica AZ-1
Fujica ST 705-W

Yashica MAT EM
Pentax Spotmatic
Zorki 5
Olympus Trip 35

Olympus XA

Bin the rest.

Interested in your reasons for ditching all slrs except the Spotmatic. Although I know any auto exposure camera can result in a lazy photographer.
And am I underestimating the Karat?

I'd keep the SR-1, looks nice (y)

I kinda had this about 4 months ago and I decided to go with which ones i simply liked shooting more.

In the end I kinda went Nikon as I had realy started to love the FE2, FM2 and now an older F2 also.

They share lenses as well which is great as it has allows me to splash on some F1.4 items :)

I'd keep the SR-1, looks nice (y)
I'm not sure if the shutter is any good. I might run a cheap roll of film through it just to see though. And the lenses are a different mount to everything else so I only have a 55 and a 300 for it.

They share lenses as well which is great as it has allows me to splash on some F1.4 items :)

The FD 50mm 1.4 goes for around £70 on Ebay in good condition :)

It sounds like you have a few cameras with problems so if it was me I'd get rid of those and make sure I have at least one good quality (and reliable) camera in each type that I 'need', and having only one system of 35mm SLR for instance, rather than a variety that aren't compatible. That's why I like Nikon, because I can use the same lenses on a fully mechanical F2 from the 70s and an F100 from the 21st century.

The other train of thought is that it's just for fun, so why over-rationalise things. But it does get in the way when you can't see the wood for the trees with all the kit you have. Less can often be more...

Back