Deer locations

Edit My Images
No
Hello. First time posting in this section so I hope to get some help. Does any one know of any locations where I can see deer some where near to Newcastle? I know it will probably be in the grounds of a park or such like. Failing that maybe within 90mins drive would be perfect.

Thanks in advance of your help

quietandy said:
Hello. First time posting in this section so I hope to get some help. Does any one know of any locations where I can see deer some where near to Newcastle? I know it will probably be in the grounds of a park or such like. Failing that maybe within 90mins drive would be perfect.

Thanks in advance of your help

Fountains abbey deer park at RIpon, Red,Fallow and SIka. Probably less than 40 mins from you.

There's also a deer park just south of Jedburgh, possibly a bit closer than Fountains Abbey. Failing that, you can often see deer in the fields round Blagdon Estate by Seaton Burn - I often see them when I'm on my way to work, or from Thrunton Woods - good luck!|

It's a couple of hours drive from Newcastle....but Tatton Park at Knutsford (Cheshire) is a very nice day out and has lots of deer!

Thanks for the replies. I now have a few places to visit. Appreciate the info

were you looking with the rut in mind Andy. If not, then the best place I know for deer near us is Gosforth Park Nature Reserve. Can see Roe deer any time of the year. Does require membership though through the Natural History Society of Northumbria (based at the Hancock Museum)

Thanks for the info. Do you know how much the membership costs?

I have seen a few deer as I drove into Gosforth park to play 5 a side. I also notice they have red squirrels there?

Have you been there before?

Hi Andy, if you're looking for red squirrels try the Milkhope Centre at Blagdon (where the farm shop is). If you sit in the overflow car park you're almost guaranteed to see one. They're so used to the cars you can use your car as a hide.

I took this last year - her's ran past me a few times, then he got a bit curious and stared for about a minute before he was off again (sorry about poor image quality - that's down to me)

DSC_0868_094.JPG

That's fantastic. Thanks for the info. I wonder if a handful of nuts would entice them even more. Thanks again.

Best time is morning before the shops in the Milkhope centre open at 10am. Another plus - the farm shop does fantastic sausage rolls, hot from the oven first thing.

good luck!

That's awful - was that recently? I saw a red there a couple of weeks ago but didn't get a shot

That's awful - was that recently? I saw a red there a couple of weeks ago but didn't get a shot
It was a couple of Saturdays ago. I've seen greys on occasions for the last 18 months. On the day I went from there to Gosforth Park and was told be two different people about the pox, which had the face of one a bit of a mess.

I hope the population is big enough to recover post pox. Although they're probably doomed because of the greys anyway, despite efforts to control them.

It'll be a terrible shame. I've got hundreds, maybe even thousands of pics of the squirrels there.

I've been putting off going back. Guess I'm hoping one of my flickr contacts posts a pic of a healthy nice red. Fingers crossed

Keep us informed if you hear anything. Its awful this pox thing.

I am seriously considering becoming a member of the Gosforth park reserve.

hi Andy
great thread
I'm in the north east and have been looking for this sort of thing myself.
I used to live in Nottingham and there are deer at Wollaton park
will blatantly steal some of these ideas for locations as I love a walk around a nature reserve with my camera
I've been around some old quarries in south tyneside but there's nothing great to shoot larger than a wren!

Last edited:
Looks like the membership dept is going to be busy then. Might bump into one of you.

Today is a nice day. I won't be very far today as I have far too many bumps, bruises and knocks from a hard game of rugby yesterday.

If you are ever travelling south (long way south!!) then Bradgate Park in Leicester has deers. Just for future reference like!!!!!
Regards

Dont know if you are still looking but Whitworth Hall (Spennymoor, Durham) have deer. They are pretty tame (they have a feeding area and sell feed in the hall) which allows you to get very close.

Oh Deer by dankellys, on Flickr

Back