Delete myself from the internet.....

Having the laws in place is one thing. Implementing or enforcing them is quite another.

Having the laws in place is one thing. Implementing or enforcing them is quite another.

Especially when you try and invoke this "right" on a forum or site situated somewhere like Russia or China.

I think there will be many law changes in the near future regarding Data protection etc and the internet. if things don't change no-one will be employable in the future because of something they wrote on an imaginary wall

The internet is global, the scope of statute in any sovereign country is not.

Politicians legislating about the Internet is a terrible idea and should be discouraged at every opportunity. They consistently exhibit a complete failure to understand what they are legislating about, which does not lead to good law.

...is it even possible?

Got a couple of emails recently from a website for a long forgotten hobby - I'm sure there are loads more corners of the web that have my details from other hobbies, interests and services that I have signed up to over the years but no longer use.

Is it possible to go back and delete all this unused stuff or is it permanently stored?
Is there even such a thing as privacy anymore if you use the internet?
Where I may have consented to t&cs when I wanted to use the service - what happens if I wish to revoke my consent.

Or is it a case of being stuck now knowing that my footprint is all around the web and there is no way of removing it?

The answer is simple: Don't buy computer, mobile phone, etc., don't register for email address, don't register for social media websites, don't do online shopping, etc., totally no access to the Internet, just live in a cottage in a quite countryside, only use old fashion paper and pen, read newspapers, simple television (not one of those Smart Televisions), etc., live your life like it's before the 1930's. When you go to the supermarket for your shopping, don't register for bonus cards, loyalty cards, etc., and you may have a very smaller footprint on the Internet, of if lucky, none at all. :)

The answer is simple: Don't buy computer, mobile phone, etc., don't register for email address, don't register for social media websites, don't do online shopping, etc., totally no access to the Internet, just live in a cottage in a quite countryside, only use old fashion paper and pen, read newspapers, simple television (not one of those Smart Televisions), etc., live your life like it's before the 1930's. When you go to the supermarket for your shopping, don't register for bonus cards, loyalty cards, etc., and you may have a very smaller footprint on the Internet, of if lucky, none at all. :)

That doesn't help if one has already had a presence online though does it. Doesn't remove what already there.

in this case prevention is more likely to help than trying to go back and undo everything.

But to take heed of this, you would of course need to go on the net in the first place :)

school/college/library/internet cafe.. all free (and possibly anon) sources of internet and google doesnt need a logon :)

e: but youd need to be pretty paranoid to be googling that. or paranoid generally to worry about what you post online (assuming no personal details).

Last edited:
That doesn't help if one has already had a presence online though does it. Doesn't remove what already there.

It do if you're Tarzan. Assuming that someone found you, brought you back to civilization, before you could even touch a computer for the first time, you read in books, magazines, newspapers, and heard talks from other people about it, then you decided never to use a computer, and never wanted to log on the Internet at all. :D

It do if you're Tarzan. Assuming that someone found you, brought you back to civilization, before you could even touch a computer for the first time, you read in books, magazines, newspapers, and heard talks from other people about it, then you decided never to use a computer, and never wanted to log on the Internet at all. :D

The very fact that "Delete myself from the internet", is the thread title, suggests the OP has already done all of the above, does it not? That and the fact that the question's raised on an Internet Forum.

Do try to keep up :LOL: :wave: :wacky:

The very fact that "Delete myself from the internet", is the thread title, suggests the OP has already done all of the above, does it not? That and the fact that the question's raised on an Internet Forum.

Do try to keep up :LOL: :wave: :wacky:

Yep, but just my option that once you log on to the Internet, it's too late, we'll have a hard time deleting ourselves from the Internet, but my view is that if only we could somehow made sure we never go on the Internet in the first place if we don't like the idea of the Internet having records about our lives on it. :)

...is it even possible?

Got a couple of emails recently from a website for a long forgotten hobby - I'm sure there are loads more corners of the web that have my details from other hobbies, interests and services that I have signed up to over the years but no longer use.

Is it possible to go back and delete all this unused stuff or is it permanently stored?
Is there even such a thing as privacy anymore if you use the internet?
Where I may have consented to t&cs when I wanted to use the service - what happens if I wish to revoke my consent.

Or is it a case of being stuck now knowing that my footprint is all around the web and there is no way of removing it?

You can go back and delete accounts, if you remember where you had them. Removing posting from forums, not sure any moderator wants to spend time doing that for you, but you can probably delete your own.

You can hardly complain of any breach of privacy when you have freely volunteered information.

I'm starting to wonder just how dodgy this hobby of yours is/was? lol

Removing content fom forums shout be necessary. A simple programming change by forum software people to change the username to something like "deleted user" but leaving the content behind?

So an interesting ruling from the European Court yesterday which may open the door to a "right to be forgotten" law as Google has been told to delete web links which might upset or embarrass someone. The case was a Spanish guy who if you googled his name you got a link to a 1998 story about him having unpaid debts.
Personally I don't think it's got anything to do with the search engines as they're just providing links to content which exists elsewhere, it's the content owners who should have been made to delete things (if the courts say that someone has to do something)

Goes Live from today I believe

Whilst it doesn't remove information it removes the ability to search google for it.

But if I knew you were on a particular forum I could still find you but it would take longer.

Its a step in the right direction though

You still have to request that content be removed.
I wonder how many will bother.

My ex wife had long ago deleted her facebook profile, and it was eventually 'overwritten' by someone else's profile, at the same url. Was confusing as hell as any tags in my profile were linked to this random person! Made even more scary was the fact that in poor quality mobile pics, she did look the spitting image of my ex wife, but without the tattoos! They now seem to have been eradicated at last.

Back