Dell T & C's beware

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I went onto Dell UK website and entered into a chat with an advisor.
The upshot was I ordered an accessory.
I filled in the order details but it would not allow me to proceed until I inserted a business name. I made one up and the order was accepted.
The order was therefore supplied under their business terms and conditions, which are not subject to distance selling regulations and do not allow returns unless faulty.

The amount of money here is small. But beware if you order anything expensive via the net.

The Sale of Goods Act applies to consumers and is automatic but not for business to business unless specifically included in the contract. Did the Dell advisor know you were a consumer rather than a business. I was considering buying a Laptop and after reviewing had concluded that the "business" models may be more robust but little in price and performance. Clearly giving up Consumer protection may or may not be worth the risk.

Dave

And then before you know it, Dell (not unique to Dell) have sold on your business details and you start appearing on all sorts of search engines and email spammers........

I don't know what the Dell advisor knew. He/She didn't ask.
A couple of years ago I bought a refurbished Dell laptop via their UK outlet, so I had an account. I assumed this was a normal consumer account (never thought about it to be honest).
After the discussion the product in question was on the screen and I ordered, but I had to log in to my account (set up when I bought the laptop) to be allowed to proceed.
I realise I should have queried things when it asked me for a business name, but as we are only talking about an accessory I didn't see the point.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Edit. I have just looked up the 2019 invoice for my laptop. It is in my personal name. It looks like a sly move to switch me to a business account.

Last edited:
If I'm ever asked for a business name, I put Home Use in the box. Not sure how much legal clout that would hold but I'd guess at slightly more than Nod & Co.!

Perhaps you wandered onto the Dell business site? It does give you the option when browsing for items?

Well I messed up but they would not allow a return despite me owning a Dell laptop, ultrasharp screen and docking station.

Back