Dell updates have messed up my laptop

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Dell updates have changed the home page with all the apps hidden. Also, they have installed a different browser and all the task bar apps have disappeared.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this rubbish.

That sounds like the actions of malware.
What was your home page, and what is it now?

Was Standard windows. Now some kind of Dell crap.
Just done a Norton scan and nothing found.

Last edited:
Yes, a legitimate update doesn't install a new browser. Sounds like you may have picked something dodgy up somehow. I would recommend backing up your data, and getting in touch with Dell unless you know how to do a fresh install of your operating system. You'll need to format your drive to eradicate the malicious software

Is it Bing?

I’ve just googled bing homepage and it doesn’t look like it.
I’m guessing it’s dell’s own.

Dell updates??? Or do you mean Windows updates?

Are you perhaps using Windows 10 Home and it has just updated......but which version ~ v1809 or the most recent (AFAIK just being rolled) v1903 ?

The browser change ~ could update had defaulted to Windows Edge Browser (what browser were you used to using?)

You say the home page has changed but what is the URL (please add it here as plain text in case it is indeed malicious......as would not want anyone to click a live link!) Not good to guess as the page address is there to read;)

FWIW Norton is IMO not good at trapping malware. But Malware Bytes is very useful.

Last edited:
Some of the anti virus softwares are now installing “Secure Browsers” as part of updates, most common I’ve seen is Avast and AVG but a couple are doing it. The browser gets installed as part of ordinary AV updates then sets itself as default.

I’m not saying that’s what it is, just something I’ve seen over the past few months. If so, it’s just a case of setting your preferred browser as your default in Settings :) If you can get a screenshot we might be able to help a little further.

As for icons missing, have you accidentally entered into Tablet mode? There’s a shortcut key but I can’t remember what it is to activate it. If you click the notifications button in the bottom right there should be buttons for WiFi etc then there’ll be one called Tablet mode, I would try that and see if gives you back what you need :)

Some more specifics or even screenshots might help people solve the problem. It's almost certainly a Windows Update rather than a Dell one, or as others have said potentially some sort of malware. Don't do anything as drastic as formatting your drive until you know what the problem is.

Thanks to all you knowledgeable and helpful people.
Andy has cracked it. Yes tablet mode was enabled (not sure how) but this has solved my problem.
I’ve never been good with computers.

Glad it’s all sorted :) You aren’t the first person and you won’t be the last to be confused by the tablet mode I suspect. It’s built into lots of versions of Windows these days (yes even the server software) so even if you have no way of using it as a tablet with a touchscreen etc the option is there!

Last edited:
Back