Name
Iam Burn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I am looking for some advice.

My photography work is growing and I am starting to shoot more sports and events. I need to be able to quickly edit, tag, caption and send images during and immediately after the event.

My current laptop is not up to the job. Therefore I've been doing a lot of research into finding a suitable new one. I have largely ruled out the MacBook Pro purely due to cost vs spec.

I'm looking at the latest Dell XPS 13 or XPS 15. Min. 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD, possibly 4k screen but undecided on that. At least i7 8550U (13) or 8750H (15).

I largely use Photo Mechanic and Lightroom. Very occasionally I may need to use Photoshop, but most PS work I do is on my desktop PC. Would either of these models be suitable for my needs? Does the on board graphics of the XPS 13 make a massive difference in processing using LR and Photo Mechanic?

As it is a considered purchase I need to make sure I get this right.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi everyone

My photography work is growing and I am starting to shoot more sports and events. I need to be able to quickly edit, tag, caption and send images during and immediately after the event.

My current laptop is not up to the job. Therefore I've been doing a lot of research into finding a suitable new one. I have largely ruled out the MacBook Pro purely due to cost vs spec.

I'm looking at the latest Dell XPS 13 or XPS 15. Min. 16gb RAM, 256gb SSD, possibly 4k screen but undecided on that. At least i7 8550U (13) or 8750H (15).

I largely use Photo Mechanic and Lightroom. Very occasionally I may need to use Photoshop, but most PS work I do is on my desktop PC. Would either of these models be suitable for my needs? Does the on board graphics of the XPS 13 make a massive difference in processing using LR and Photo Mechanic?

Cheers
I purchases the xps 13 a month ago for coding and photo/video editing and so far it hasn't let me down at all!

I manually installed a 2tb evo drive and it works fine with it too!

The rest of the specs are the fastest I7 cpu you can have on it along with 16gb ram and 4k screen. Did I mention the screen is gorgeous!

I got an XPS 13 with 4K touch screen for 18 months. I use it mainly for spreadsheet work and Lightroom 5.7. I really like it. I bought it for its light weight as I needed to take it when travelling.

Hi everyone

Cheers

The XPS15 will be more powerful. I can't imagine you'd go wrong with either.

I'm no professional, but I use my Surface Pro 4 (similar processor to the XPS13, just older) and it works fine for all my lightroom needs. My wife uses a XPS15 and it is noticeably faster. You might also prefer the larger screen for doing work? Don't forget the XPS15 while bigger is still pretty damn light for a 15 inch laptop.

I'm also a happy XPS13 user but the XPS15 is much more of a desktop replacement due to the better processor, larger screen and ability to take a second storage drive. However, from what I read, I wouldn't go above the i7-8750H as the i9s suffer from thermal throttling when used heavily. This is something that the i7-7660U in my XPS13 also suffers from.

Last edited:
I'm also a happy XPS13 user but the XPS15 is much more of a desktop replacement due to the better processor, larger screen and ability to take a second storage drive. However, from what I read, I wouldn't go above the i7-8750H as the i9s suffer from thermal throttling when used heavily. This is something that the i7-7660U in my XPS13 also suffers from.
I diddnt know the dell xps 15 takes another hdd. Pretty cool

I dont think it does as i saw the tear down video of it once and it only had one ssd card slot. If you want the extra card slot you need to configure one that has a smaller battery

I'm sure I've seen one configured with a 2.5" SSD but will admit I didn't check the battery size.

Ah yes. A bit of rummaging found that the i5 version with the smaller battery uses a 2.5" drive but may not be available here.

Last edited:
I have the XPS 15 and it's awesome. I recommend having the 1TB SSD and no spinning drive. Very fast and never any shortage of storage. It doesn't take long to blow through 256GB. 16GB plus of RAM too.

If you opt for the 4K screen, read up about scaling. Text can be very small on some applications and this could be more problematic on a 13 inch screen. Lightroom is not perfectly optimised yet (getting better)

its just a toss up selling MacBook Pro or Dell :(

Apparently a 4 month old baby means I can't have both.

I dont think it does as i saw the tear down video of it once and it only had one ssd card slot. If you want the extra card slot you need to configure one that has a smaller battery

Not sure about the current model, but the 9530 version has separate SATA and mSATA connectors. I run 2 drives in mine (256 mSATA with OS & apps and 2TB HDD for image storage).

Not sure about the current model, but the 9530 version has separate SATA and mSATA connectors. I run 2 drives in mine (256 mSATA with OS & apps and 2TB HDD for image storage).
The new one you cant unless you grab the small battery capacity option.

I would opt for the lenova x1 extreme because that has 2 n.2 ssd slots

I appreciate the comments and advice from everyone. Thank you.

I think the XPS 15 will be the choice between the two Dell machines for me. But I need to weigh up the Lenovo offerings before taking the plunge I think.

I appreciate the comments and advice from everyone. Thank you.

I think the XPS 15 will be the choice between the two Dell machines for me. But I need to weigh up the Lenovo offerings before taking the plunge I think.

I have just opted to sell mine, its listed on here if you are interested.

Back