Dell XPS-13

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a new laotol that's a bit smaller and easy to travel sith over my 15" MSI. I've been looking at the nre Dell XPS-13 as an option, has anyone got/used it and how do they rate it if so compared to other options? Early stages of looking so open to other suggestions!

I have a 9360 so not quite current model and I think it's very good. I have two niggles: the CPU is prone to thermal throttling as there's not enough space for an adequate cooler and I'm not sure that the 3200x1800 screen was a good idea as everything is tiny at 100%. I got mine through the Dell Outlet on a day when there was an extra 10% off plus I got £50 back when I complained about the service so I paid just over £1100 for a model with W10 Pro, a better CPU than any offered normally, 16GB RAM and 512GB NVMe SSD. :D Keep an eye on the Outlet as 9360s, 9360Rs and the current 9370s often appear there and prices seem better now than they were a year ago.

Be aware that you'll need adapters or a hub/docking station if you want to use RJ45 or an external monitor.

Last edited:
When I was researching for a new Laptop the DELL XPS-13 was top of almost everyone's list. I plumbed for the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop which I am very happy with. I chose it because it was 15" and had everything I needed plus it was a pretty good price. I would however plumb for a 15" iPad that was under £1000 but they do not exist sadly :D

Very good but expensive.

You can get same quality buying 3 year old used ex-business ultrabooks for a fraction of the price.

You don't need to buy new computers these days, quality computer parts as found on business class computers are extremely reliable.

I have a dell latitude and literally never turn it off for several years and don't ventilate it correctly but still zero issues.

But no LAN connector and no USB C power pass-through. I bought this Lenovo item instead which has everything except DisplayPort (and I don't know the HDMI refresh frequency).
Does have a LAN ;) passthrough doesn’t bother me as laptop charger is not USBC only the main dock powers that way sonthen this portable one is not used

Bought an XPS 13 9370 a few weeks back. Coming from a Surface Pro 4 it's a bit of a revelation to say the least. I guess it's the 16GB Ram but it's incredibly rapid.

4K screen version and even outputting to a 4K screen as well it doesn't even hint at slowing when using Lightroom and running other things at the same time.

I'm a fan, if that wasn't clear!

Thanks for the feedback! I've still got a 5 year old MSI which does what I want it to, but I travel a lot and that's one of the key factors in upgrading as I want something I can carry easily and has enough beans to edit on the move, occasional video editing also!

I'll keep an eye out on the outlet over the next couple of weeks and see what comes up!

Consider the 2 in 1 version too unless you really need the full power cpu range, as it can support stylus use for your photo processing ;)

Just to follow up on this post, in the end I opted for the Dell XPS-15, I decided as most camera bags I'm looking at come with the slot for a 15" laptop and it's pretty small as far as 15" machines go, I'd be better off with the larger screen. I went for the 4K touchscreen version and I must say it's a fantastic bit of kit! Currently out in Asia with it and have been processing photos no problem and not having to worry about being too far from a power supply! The additional size is posing no issue considering I've gone from a much larger 15" laptop.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

We run about 25 of these at work and users seem very happy with them. I don't think they are as tough as the Lattitude laptops so a few have been damaged/repaired and they require a spudger to to take apart. If portability is your thing then I'd definitely recommend them.

Back