Dell XPS 15 9550, worth it?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys it’s me again, sorry about the laptop talk all the time it’s just I want to make the right choice!

So I’ve seen the dell XPS 15 9550 has a great screen it has i7 and 16gb ram, can get them
For about £650 used, will it be a good choice for me for photo editing? I’d obviously prefer someone new from amazon as if any faults they have great customer service but for my £650ish budget I don’t think I’m going to get anything near to this?

I was thinking of getting the MacBook Pro 2015 but for the i7 16gb ram it’s coming in at £800-900 which I can’t afford.

I really just want to make the right decision if you can understand as I don’t know loads and loads about computers.. I’m finding my i3 8gb ram
PC starting to get a bit slow on editing photos now and would like something more portable.

Thanks for any help
Nick

With used PC`s You have to know the model numbers of the main parts so that you can age them and determine the computers value.

Its useless to know that it is i7 / 16gb RAM.

You should know what year was the i7 released and if it is DDR3 or DDR4 RAM.

What resolution is the screen.

Does it have a dedicated graphics card and what model is it.

If the seller does not list specifics or is vague in their reply when you ask them then it it highly likely it is an older machine and they dont want you to know,.

As it's a Dell XPS, ask for the service tag ID and pump that into the Dell Support website to make sure spec is as advertised. If it is indeed an i7 with 16Gb and (importantly) an SSD, I think you'll rather like it. I say this as the owner of a 9530 i7/16Gb and a 9570 i9/32Gb.

A GPU is a separate processor for graphics.

Have a look here: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S540-13API/p/81XC001FUK

Decent processor, QHD IPS screen, a little light on RAM and hard drive space, but that's part of the trade off at this price point.

Also look at the Dell outlet as suggested by Chris/Troutfisher.

Choice of a couple from Dell:

13" https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw/PR7UdbHz1Jcptw2WPo1syh/mwvylFeEttYaPbkdw5xuvj+UF5dx2NPID69eHg2gXCGrkl8OXvnuQaqCWt+HXqUlpgNVIrc0F7tJPMrFXkkRUEAIk4o4Yt4o7ULAK0KTfpAnShYXJMMkssGb0IAE429WzWo7HlRGhHdbaJYR8AXOFmnBkEc4/Kix7xZebaLdPf03JrAn8+fn3c+XIy3PDKm381/4a7nc3F5XTlmzZhMLra6Gw1MAJ4Xg66ZNPUKvzPIzO/Q==

15" https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw/PR7UdbHz1Jcptw2WPo1syh/mwvzBMyjKynbJIXBZ8EIIVGj3qsdV4ghfbZ5BIU7zj/4LoPznIaIjWxL/LbOu0YKSIH1jsNkDZr2y46XKeiS31zJd8juP5N8YbmSJOZYfFXHY5nw2oQ+U8TE17M1al1OzEqKQa+2pALK1WJqDeWOtSx5sCxnlxParJyW1u13PLXQQ7Dkgv4gNauAO7wwu+hdHsnLHE0Y/lDDdB0pRe01BYaE1NRrua/XxareZZlEsPMFEkA==

Both have IPS screens to let you view a consistent image and quad core processor, 8GB Ram etc.

If you could afford another £100 then the XPS13 is as good as a Macbook (speaking as someone who owns both) : https://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw/PR7UdbHz1Jcptw2WPo1syh/mwvyVVAP3wtRAbzJwEWKfEkioYSUznUG7sYJGiB17zRDlCfIpdGDtpF4Jhwtcv654yA+qqFNgNQStB8Qpl7cfWxDEb0FH4WKam7bSGE4KOXvfDIVSUn4OsMOAu+jBe6lBZYSD3cXFkv66e9PfLf2KJyd91tesT4dh6ji/YGGtcnjaebN1CapgmeK6BEz7P5R0gAFvgU7tiX0suw==
With used PC`s You have to know the model numbers of the main parts so that you can age them and determine the computers value.

Its useless to know that it is i7 / 16gb RAM.

You should know what year was the i7 released and if it is DDR3 or DDR4 RAM.

What resolution is the screen.

Does it have a dedicated graphics card and what model is it.

If the seller does not list specifics or is vague in their reply when you ask them then it it highly likely it is an older machine and they dont want you to know,.

it’s a laptop mate but thanks for the reply
nick

It should be good - the version I have (9530) is 3 years older and still very capable. Also if you get the version with QHD screen then it will look lovely, although the super-high resolution can hide a lack of sharpness unless you magnify to 2:1.

As it's a Dell XPS, ask for the service tag ID and pump that into the Dell Support website to make sure spec is as advertised. If it is indeed an i7 with 16Gb and (importantly) an SSD, I think you'll rather like it. I say this as the owner of a 9530 i7/16Gb and a 9570 i9/32Gb.

right okay, when I buy I shall check that out, thanks for the help
Nick

It should be good - the version I have (9530) is 3 years older and still very capable. Also if you get the version with QHD screen then it will look lovely, although the super-high resolution can hide a lack of sharpness unless you magnify to 2:1.

The QHD one is that the 4k screen? So if I was to get the other screen my photos wouldn’t look that sharp?
thanks
Nick

The QHD one is that the 4k screen? So if I was to get the other screen my photos wouldn’t look that sharp?
thanks
Nick
With very high resolution screens like 4k on 15" the resolution can hide a lack of sharpness unless you view the image at 2:1 or more. It's only an issue if you pixel peep or want to print large.

Just buy a second hand Matebook pro X. then you have a laptop that has a better ratio screen for a photographer 3:2.

The biggest problem for photographers is silly screen rations of 16:10 1nd 16:9 which are designed for gaming or watching films.

Bring back 4:3 ratio screens!

Back