dell xps15 power failure

Name
derek
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all and a happy new year - looking for tech help - my dell xps decided to stop working yesterday for no apparent reason,tried turning it back on nothing, when i inserted the charger lead the light on the lead goes out. now out of warrenty. i tried the anti static purge by removing the battery still nothing. does anyone have any suggestions thanks.

hi gramps no the laptops dead but power lead is on with power but when inserted into laptop the light on the power lead goes out.

Sorry that rather sounds like a motherboard fault. Have you another dell power supply to try it with?

thats what i thought, the power supply seems to work as it lights up and has power..

Is it definitely out of all levels of cover? (Even if upgraded cover has expired, there may still be return to base cover). Punch the service tag into the dell support page and double check.

Presumably the laptop does not power on on battery power? Does the xps have an led power meter to see if its charging the battery either.

These are bad for the power socket at the laptop end failing, you can buy them separately but they are very hard to solder on. The laptop should run with the power lead connected and the battery removed

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7DBtZg-QQ

Last edited:
Sounds like the charger might have gone bad - I'd try it with a different one if possible before doing anything else. I had the same issue with a HP laptop & charger. The charger gave the right voltage off load but as soon as it was connected to the laptop the voltage collapsed and hence wouldn't charge the laptop - different charger and all was well again. The light going out on the lead would seem to indicate the charger voltage dropping to almost zero...

Could be a motherboard issue but also could be a failed power adapter, unable to supply the required output.

This is still consistent with the charger going u/s...
Or could be the motherboard gone faulty. I've had a couple of dell laptops do similar, luckily under warranty. However trying another supply is an easy test

Back