Deltic

Edit My Images
Yes
Just got back from Telford Central Station where a railtour special has just gone through on the way to The Heart of Wales line.
This loco is known as a Deltic and is 1 of only 22 ever built in the early 60's. They use to ply their trade up and down the east coast mainline. It was considered the most powerful of it's type in the world when it went into production and the diesel power plant was developed from the Napier engines that powered motor torpedo boats post war.

Regards
Tim

_MG_1235wtmk.jpg

_MG_1242wtmk.jpg

_MG_1245wtmk.jpg

Nice shots!

I can remember seeing these at Kings Cross Shed back in the late seventies, just before they were withdrawn from the east coast main line - Once heard, never forgotten :woot:

Lovely pieces of engineering, better than the characterless chunks of junk on the lines now.

Theres a blast from the past :)

I remember seeing them as a nipper, loved the sound of the Napier Deltic power units :D

Although the 125 that replaced them was a better looking train, the deltics had a certain look about them.

The engines were amazing, I remember watching one get rebuilt about 15 years ago.....3 cranks and opposing pistons :runaway:

Cool Tim you always knew when there was a Deltic on the front pulling out of Kings Cross they were just awesome beasts. The prototype is in the National Rail Museum in my old home town of Shildon worth a visit if anyone is up County Durham way.

Cheers
Bill

Back