Denmark with a rangefinder

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I went to Denmark for a few days, travelling light. I took my Epson R-D1 and 28mm lens which is my usual rig, it fits into hand luggage and I just like the way it performs. I just sold my Leica film kit because the R-D1 just makes sense and the results I think are stunning (though I'm learning to do it any justice)

Here are a few shots from my travels, I hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment and critique!

Cheers
ped

5990372603_77be48fd0f_z.jpg

5990363385_cc3853cd40_z.jpg

5990361941_f780a388ba_z.jpg

5990919646_4bcd49c1fe_z.jpg

5990910584_a41bda2745_z.jpg

There's a few shots worthy of critique but you've posted them in the only forum that doesn't encourage it :thinking:

Saying that,interesting selection,with #2 worthy of a few captions imo :D

done, nice range of shots too. :)

no probs, never heard of that camera before but it looks interesting :)

Ped I really like your style of shooting, you seem to have a very good eye for what works. I don't really have the time to go through and provide feedback on each one but I will say in general your black and white conversions are excellent.

I really like number five, although the mark on the water jug catches my eye now that I've spotted it.

My favourite is number seven, an interesting perspective and creative use of focus ;-)

4 and 9
the rangefinder approach is good and sharp and i think is more accurate than the split image or microprism
i used a rangefinder on my fuji 6x7 and never got a miss on focussing
cheers
geof

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I find a rangefinder very fast to focus and especially in low light. It frees me completely as it's all manual and I have nobody to blame but me for missing anything.

TinaC, I'm annoyed I missed the paws in #1, I was shooting from the hip because I didn't want to get down on my hands and knees outside the shop, but here's one where you can see his paws:

5990371331_950cdded32_z.jpg

I'm using one of these as part of my 'Dogs and us' project (here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiscocks/sets/72157626541991120/with/5990371331/)

Also with this little fella:
5990927358_2be57b2c58_z.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. The vibrancy is one of the reasons I love this camera, and there were so many amazing colours on display in Denmark.

I have tried a couple of lenses on this body and keep coming back to the 28mm f1.9, it just works so well.

All the B+W conversions are done in Lightoom. I have the camera set to B+W as it's normally how I 'see', coming from using B+W film quite a lot after discovering it a few years ago, although as I'm shooting RAW I can get the colour back in LR if I want. I like really high contrast and deep blacks. There's something about the R-D1 that makes it's B+W images, especially at high ISO (like #2) that I always thought was similar to Kodak Tri-x film which I used a fair bit.

Thanks again for the comments, keep them coming - also make sure you view the others in the gallery (link in second post) as there are some others you might prefer. I didn't want to put too many here, not sure what the guidelines are!

Cheers
ped

You really have a great eye for composition, Ped :).

Shots like 5 and 8 are really striking (IMO), but how many of us would think to isolate such subjects in that way and make exposures out of them :shrug:? I suppose this is where working with a fixed focal length has its influence on the results :thinking: - with a zoom lens, the framing may well have been different, or the distance perspective.

I like the 'documentary' look that comes with using the same FL for all pics in a set and the colour is, as you say, very vibrant too (#6 in particular ;)).

So, I think that you've got some shots to be proud of there (and without needing to pay Leica prices to do it, either :D).

(y)

Andy

Last edited:
Good to see someone using a rangefinder on here. :) Beautiful vibrancy and sharpness to your images ped; would've liked to have seen the feet in #1 and #6 but other than that they're my kind of photos.

I've just picked up an M6 and it's so much more fun and natural to use than my dslr. Love every opportunity I get to use it.

Hi Andy

Cheers for the critique. Very true to say the fixed length forces you to think about composition. I also think it's true to say there's a similarity between the shots even though the range of subjects is huge, probably due to the same focal length being used.

The 1:1 viewfinder is just SO natural to use. I can completely compose with my eye and bring the camera up to snap. It's effortless.

Cheers!
ped

Good to see someone using a rangefinder on here. :) Beautiful vibrancy and sharpness to your images ped; would've liked to have seen the feet in #1 and #6 but other than that they're my kind of photos.

I've just picked up an M6 and it's so much more fun and natural to use than my dslr. Love every opportunity I get to use it.

Thanks, I've learned my lesson with the feet - the framelines aren't 100% accurate so I'll leave a little room in the future. I hadn't used the R-D1 for a while whilst I was using the 21mm lensed Leica so perhaps that threw me off? Or maybe I'm just a giant tool. I'll leave that one open to debate ;)

Cheers and enjoy the M6 - Make sure you post the pictures!

ped

Thanks, I've learned my lesson with the feet - the framelines aren't 100% accurate so I'll leave a little room in the future. I hadn't used the R-D1 for a while whilst I was using the 21mm lensed Leica so perhaps that threw me off? Or maybe I'm just a giant tool. I'll leave that one open to debate ;)

Cheers and enjoy the M6 - Make sure you post the pictures!

ped

Yeah I noticed that with the M6 too, either I forgot about the margin for error or I just completely forgot about the frame lines. :D

There's some photos here but the prints from the lab were really flat and then I scanned them in using an all-in-one printer so the sharpness has been lost too. Something to work on for next time!

Woah I really like those shots. A feast for the eyes. Lots to look at.

Get yourself developing and scanning, then you only have yourself to blame! That's what I did, and ended up selling it all!! LOL (nah, that wasn't the reason)

Cheers
ped

I'd never heard of Epson making cameras before and (foolishly :nono:) assumed that they must be low budget alternatives to Leica, Zeiss, Voigtländer & Besser rangefinders - WRONG :eek:!!!!

Don't drop it will you, Ped :D!?

Nah, I tried the 8 and 8.2... no good, trust me ;)

How about the 9..........

:eek:

Love the pictures by the way. The quality looks good but still definately digital. The third image really tells you its not film, the grain is all wrong. ;)

Back