Dennis Stock

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Just read Dennis Stock's James Dean book. Completely blown away.

From the point of view of the digital photographic community, as personified by Practical Photography magazine, for example, I would say, forget about corner to corner sharpness and, unlike Black+White Photography magazine, don't falsify your pictures.

Sorry about the rant.

Last edited:
I have a copy of California Trip and I love it. Always makes me smile leafing through it.

It's always about the image.

[Edit to add it was re-issued last year and is now a reasonable price too!]

Just read Dennis Stock's James Dean book. Completely blown away.

From the point of view of the digital photographic community, as personified by Practical Photography magazine, for example, I would say, forget about corner to corner sharpness and, unlike Black+White Photography magazine, don't falsify your pictures.

Sorry about the rant.
What do the references to magazines mean?

Taking Practical Photography, for example, the images are often stunning but, to me seem very stylized and, moreover, there is an underlying obsession with technical perfection and cliched techniques, milky water is my favourite. And, I think the is what Lester Bangs, the DJ, might have referred to as a total bland-out.

B&W Photography seems to take a different stance and there are many instances of articles which are deliberately, I don't have one word or explanation for this, c**p. And, they are quite often disguised in a sort of dialectic that doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, I love looking at other photographers' photographs. Coming back to Dennis Stock, his images have something about them which sort of defies technique, I f you know what I mean.

I you ask me, AP is still the best photography magazine, just as an aside.

Back