Dens Little Owl

Edit My Images
Yes
Had an hour over at Dens @den this evening watching his Little Owls, very enjoyable and much appreciated, its a great spot, thanks Den (y)

Got a few shots but edited just the one for now.

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking :)

Little Owl by Phil D, on Flickr

Hopefully next time it'll be with the d7200 eh Phil haha. Sorry again about that and I'll get onto UPS first thing!

Lovely shot but I can't help but feel slightly disorientated by the fact that it's just slightly off being straight. That may be how it was naturally, but if it was mine, I'd rotate it slightly just to make it straight (even if it's not how it was in real life!)

What a lucky lad :D

I think that's the first time you've commented on any of my threads in the bird section Box Brownie......but at least you replied ;) :LOL:

Hopefully next time it'll be with the d7200 eh Phil haha. Sorry again about that and I'll get onto UPS first thing!

Lovely shot but I can't help but feel slightly disorientated by the fact that it's just slightly off being straight. That may be how it was naturally, but if it was mine, I'd rotate it slightly just to make it straight (even if it's not how it was in real life!)

Thanks Chris, no worries about UPS, if it had been delivered on time I think I'd have been more surprised! :D

I see what you mean about the eyes not looking level but it had just lifted a leg slightly and leaned back, but I have to admit, I hadn't noticed.

I'll have a look at it with the eyes straight and see what I think, feedback and opinions like that is just what I'm after, cheers (y)

I think that's the first time you've commented on any of my threads in the bird section Box Brownie......but at least you replied ;) :LOL:

Nothing deliberate....... sometimes just too much to look at/keep up with and in this case Den's owls catch the attention.

So a bit like my old school reports, must try harder ;)

As for the image I would be delighted to have caught that little beauty.

Last edited:
Nothing deliberate....... sometimes just too much to look at/keep up with and in this case Den's owls catch the attention.

So a bit like my old school reports, must try harder ;)

As for the image I would be delighted to have caught that little beauty.

I didn't take it as anything personal but couldn't decide if your comment 'What a lucky lad' was a touch of sarcasm....... presumed it was, but thanks for the bump, at least the post count is going up for this shot :D

I didn't take it as anything personal but couldn't decide if your comment 'What a lucky lad' was a touch of sarcasm....... presumed it was, but thanks for the bump, at least the post count is going up for this shot :D

Sarcasm, never.....not my style! The emoticon I thought was :MrGreen: with envy :)

Very nice capture, exposure and WB looking good ... poor chap couldn't keep both feet on the ground knowing it was you :D

That is a lovely shot Phil - just a shame that the light couldn't have helped you out more.

Nothing you can do about that though - looks a nice clean image for the ISO range you had to shoot at.

Dave.

they always look at though you could fit them in the palm of your hand

attractive birds and a good shot, eyes draw you too it, nice and sharp which is important with shots like this........ just one comment from me - what do you think about the slight raising of the foot, does it distract a little?

could be just a little "cooler" than what Den would process, maybe it just needs a little "extra"

Den tends to be a perfectionist, certainly as far as owls are concerned ... and he would be your best critique

Last edited:
We had a dirty dark cloud over us at the time of the quick session Phil and I spent at the site, the time was fine nice and early alas though we didn't have much time on this occasion , I would say Phil as underexposed this a touch and he as probably just done a quick edit , I know for a fact he as plenty more to mess around with , I also know he was not far from getting full framed shots, it's not easy on your first session as you are not aware of the bird whereabouts , it's fine for me as I can usually time it pretty well and be relaxed and ready in position , Mike Pooley as Sussed it out and he picks the bird off fine now when he visits , I also know Phil was handheld at the time were a tripod would have helped , their will be time for Phil to visit again but I reckon he as a couple more shots up his sleeve to show from last night ,I would also like to add Phil was just as excited at seeing the location and my other areas of intrest as he was at getting the chance of photographing the little owl so close , my kinda wildlife photographer

Last edited:
Very nice capture, exposure and WB looking good ... poor chap couldn't keep both feet on the ground knowing it was you :D

Thanks Roger, I've swept a few females off their feet but this is the first male! :D

That is a lovely shot Phil - just a shame that the light couldn't have helped you out more.

Nothing you can do about that though - looks a nice clean image for the ISO range you had to shoot at.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, light wasn't the best. sun was in and out, more in than out typically :rolleyes:

As I mentioned the other week when we were chatting, I've started editing in layers, one for the bird, one for the bg, it means being able to push NR fairly high on the bg, I feel its been a big improvement on my images with higher ISO than I'd have liked :)

they always look at though you could fit them in the palm of your hand

attractive birds and a good shot, eyes draw you too it, nice and sharp which is important with shots like this........ just one comment from me - what do you think about the slight raising of the foot, does it distract a little?

could be just a little "cooler" than what Den would process, maybe it just needs a little "extra"

Den tends to be a perfectionist, certainly as far as owls are concerned ... and he would be your best critique

Thanks Bill, I picked the raised leg shot thinking it was a 'little action' :D I've got a few, with both legs together with the bird full on towards me, maybe a better choice?

I did wonder about the WB being a touch cooler compared to Dens, so I'm glad you've mentioned that. I suppose I set it to what I thought matched the conditions :)

Really nice Phil, with great bg blur to boot! (y)

Which 150-600 are you using?

Thanks Wez, its the Contemporary, I've been very pleased with the results for the money(y)

As I mentioned To Dave above, working in layers to reduce noise in just the bg has made a big improvement :)

Last edited:
We had a dirty dark cloud over us at the time of the quick session Phil and I spent at the site, the time was fine nice and early alas though we didn't have much time on this occasion , I would say Phil as underexposed this a touch and he as probably just done a quick edit , I know for a fact he as plenty more to mess around with , I also know he was not far from getting full framed shots, it's not easy on your first session as you are not aware of the bird whereabouts , it's fine for me as I can usually time it pretty well and be relaxed and ready in position , Mike Pooley as Sussed it out and he picks the bird off fine now when he visits , I also know Phil was handheld at the time were a tripod would have helped , their will be time for Phil to visit again but I reckon he as a couple more shots up his sleeve to show from last night ,I would also like to add Phil was just as excited at seeing the location and my other areas of intrest as he was at getting the chance of photographing the little owl so close , my kinda wildlife photographer

Thanks Den, you are right, I did enjoy just being at the site, especially seeing the young ones looking up from the ledge, only a few record shots of them but could easily be my favourite shots, they were certainly the pick for the wife, very cute! :D

Thanks for the feedback, the histogram is just left to centre, so yes, I'd agree, possibly 2/3rds under .......and I'm that use to walking and standing, I never even thought to bring a tripod! :oops: :$ :D

Thanks again, the visit was unexpected, enjoyable and much appreciated (y)

Thanks Den, you are right, I did enjoy just being at the site, especially seeing the young ones looking up from the ledge, only a few record shots of them but could easily be my favourite shots, they were certainly the pick for the wife, very cute! :D

Thanks for the feedback, the histogram is just left to centre, so yes, I'd agree, possibly 2/3rds under .......and I'm that use to walking and standing, I never even thought to bring a tripod! :oops: :$ :D

Thanks again, the visit was unexpected, enjoyable and much appreciated (y)
Anytime Phil,keep a eye on the weather ,as you are only 30 mins away just give us a quick call and maybe some shots in better light could be on the cards

Back