depressed with my photography

Bleddyn we all get discouraged from time to time over our pics.

When I got my first DSLR camera (Canon 350D) it took me a while to get used to it and to start producing good pics even though I had been a pro tog many years ago.

Then when I bought the Canon 100m Macro lens for a while most shots I took with it were CRAP even though it was one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used.

And similarly when I bought the 70-300mm L IS USM lens my first shots with it were so bad it made me think it was faulty even though I knew I just had to get used to it.

But I persevered and now know that any problems with my equipment are all down to me and I can now produce good (if not great) shots with all of my equipment.

The secret is getting used to your equipment and finding out what works FOR YOU!

Incidentally do you shoot in RAW or JPEG because they can both produce different results with RAW being quite soft and flat until they are PPd.

And getting used to PP can also take a lot of time to produce really good results.

Incidentally one tip for getting sharp shots of animals, birds and people is to focus on the bottom eyelid - on many cameras only the centre focus point can focus on 2 axes (horizontal and vertical) so it's best to use that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Is there any local clubs or college courses that are available to you?

Sometimes someone will explain it a different way - suddenly it all clicks into place and makes sense! well it can be that way with me.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure having some assistance from someone with first hand experience will go a long way.

well thanks again for the support its realy appreciated(y).but since i last posted here i have struggled to get my camera out of its bag i just seemed to have lost my confidence at the moment and i think i might have been a silly boy today:bonk:.i was in cardiff this morning sporting a healthy wad of cash to go get some new clothes when my wife says why dont you go and have a look at that big lens you where intrested in the sigma 150-500.so of to cardiff camera centre we go cut a story short 20 mins later im the owner of sigma 150-500 lens and £700.00 skinter.im not realy sure what happened in the shop i just seemed to perk up a bit felt a good feeling.so i got on the bus went home to have a play.so i shot a few pics off in different modes at diffrent focal lenghts and soon after veiwing the images come to the conclusion that i m going to need some lessons or do a lot more reading about photography simple.

bleddyn

This site has all the tutorials you need

check this out here and here and see how you go

I went out last saturday and did something I have never done before, I went out took some pics got home uploaded them from my camera and the proceeded to delete the folder as I was not happy with any of them.

Stick at it practice practice practice

spike

well i went for a walk today to have another go with my tamron 17-50 vc and to say that im dissapointed in the results is an under statement.i feel quite depressed realy and im considering selling up and just grabbing a point and shoot camera

bleddyn

Bledyn

Don't give up. There is a great book that has re-energised me.

It is "The Art of Photography an approach to personal expression" by Bruce Barnbaum and published by Rocky Nook.

It has been very useful to me in reigniting my interest in photography. It is much more than a how to book on the technical side and is as much on the aesthetics of how to approach making better images. You don't need expensive complex equipment to be successful. Read this book. A fully automatic camera can give great results with the right approach.

Summer is coming

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi, Bledyn, why give up? Not being funny, but it's not easy. You need to persevere and one day, soon :D, it will click and you'll be going :woot::woot:

Trust me, it will happen.

On a personal note, I took the day off last week, packed my camera/tripod and did not take one photograph. I've also come back after a full 10 hours in the field with nothing. I used to get quite miffed, but now I just reflect.

Post some photographs for C&C, don't be embarrassed. You'll get some decent feedback.

Check out the meeting places forum and join in a meet, or arrange one. I've arranged loads and they are great fun and a great learning tool.

We've all been where you are...persevere and you'll be glad you did (y)

Cheers.

im not giving up chaps im just struggling a bit and this weather isnt helping with bitter cold wind and very poor light but i guess thats the same for everybody.

i would love to be able to shoot in raw and have a go at the pp part of photography but my coputer dosent like raw files as they just freeze the pc.i guess i need a new pc soon as this one is 5 years old now:LOL::LOL:.

i have downloaded gimp and i have been watching a few simple youtube vids on how to use it and i can edit images on photobucket but its only basic stuff and will be fine for now.

heres the best one from yesterday

abb7b5a8-4218-477b-92de-0c5a51b374d4_zpsc45e7fa7.jpg

cheers

bleddyn

im not giving up chaps im just struggling a bit and this weather isnt helping with bitter cold wind and very poor light but i guess thats the same for everybody.

i would love to be able to shoot in raw and have a go at the pp part of photography but my coputer dosent like raw files as they just freeze the pc.i guess i need a new pc soon as this one is 5 years old now:LOL::LOL:.

i have downloaded gimp and i have been watching a few simple youtube vids on how to use it and i can edit images on photobucket but its only basic stuff and will be fine for now.

heres the best one from yesterday

cheers

bleddyn

great shoot mate nice one indeed poor light is rubbish shooting RAW is so much better so much excitability on PP yeh ideally next thing on your list is a new computer/laptop. and lightroom

The way I learnt was shooting in a pitch black environment, as I was underground I was able to control all aspects of the lighting and how the final image would look. I went about light painting and messed about with different settings etc on my compact. Over time I moved to above surface photography and did night time stuff, where what I had learned helped me. Now I tend to shoot sport or timelapse stuff.

I guess I was lucky in that respect and probably had a unique entrance into photography.

I never really read about techniques from a book or class, I looked at what others had produced and then went out and tried to emulate the processes and effects with differnt subjects or settings. In hindsight probably my biggest 'learning' phase was just going out and using the camera. I didn't get it right first time but each time I got a bit better and had a better idea of how to capture what I wanted.

While I don't suggest venturing underground as it's pretty dodgy at the best of times. You could set up a darkroom where you have control over lighting. That way, when it's cloudy or shooting conditions arn't good just venture in there and mess about with various settings, subjects and lighting configurations.

GIMP is 'ok' at the best of times.

Lightroom is one of the best purchases i've ever made in the photography field.
Shooting in RAW doesn't give you much imho and is overrated. I've never shot in RAW and edit all my jpegs in Lightroom.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I'm very new to DSLR (and photography in general). I expected professinal looking shots straight out the camera but I was extremely disappointed once I got to look at them.

Still learning, still trying to compose my shots better, still trying to understand the natural light available to me. Lots to learn but I still enjoy getting out and taking pictures.

well im still trying to get that one decent image and its not happened yet.i spent three hours in my back room with the window open detremined to get one nice bird shot today but due to constentley changing light conditions and a brisk wind it was all in vain.but i will keep trying;)

this was the one and only from today

025_zps47bcd5b6.jpg

and thanks for the advice and support

bleddyn

well im still trying to get that one decent image and its not happened yet.i spent three hours in my back room with the window open detremined to get one nice bird shot today but due to constentley changing light conditions and a brisk wind it was all in vain.but i will keep trying;)

bleddyn

Nice shot! :thumb:

Those last two images are really good bleddyn, definitely going in the right direction. Definitely don't give up, I have times when i feel like it too but I'm getting happy with going out and not getting anything now. If I get one or two shots I keep I'm pretty happy, if I get none I just enjoy being out, seeing and enjoying the wildlife. Having a little setup at home where you can drift in and out when the birds are there is a good way.

If you ever want a little light reading have a look at the master classes in the link below, a nice way to take in bite sized chunks of information and not overload yourself with too much new information.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/masterclass

Don't give up buddy, I've seen guys with pro cameras trying to take photos of things through glass cases in a dark museum, WITH the flash and the wondering why they get a big white blob, that in itself proves its not about equipment.

I think of myself as being quite technical, so I'm pretty good with all the settings, but I lack the eye for a good shot. I take probably 10 shots to get 1 decent one and I can't look at them objectively unless I leave them for a few weeks. I find its the simple little tricks that make the biggest difference.

For landscape shooting I'd recommend giving B&W a try aswell, it can give you interesting results in a greater range of condictions in my expereince.

Looking at your church shot the first thing that stands out to me is that it could have been improved by raising the frame a little, you've not really got much of interest in the foreground and your cutting off the tops of the trees in the background. If you don't mind I did a quick try cropping off the foreground and converting to B&W with a bit of localised contrast/brightness editting, mainly on the blank walls to bring out some more texture, the trees and the sky were IMHO already pretty interesting.

048zps10c38509.jpg

Last edited:
your last two shots look fine to me,im same if i get couple of keepers im happy,just keep practising it doesnt cost anything enjoy

bleddyn

Listen mate, that is not a bad shot at all.

The weather will get better,as will the light,yes, even in Wales..........:LOL:

Are you putting food out for the little blighters?

Take your time, very few become overnight experts at photography. It will come with time and patience.Keep posting your shots, ask people to keep advice simple and easy to start with.You will get there fella.

Listen mate, that is not a bad shot at all.

The weather will get better,as will the light,yes, even in Wales..........:LOL:

Are you putting food out for the little blighters?

Take your time, very few become overnight experts at photography. It will come with time and patience.Keep posting your shots, ask people to keep advice simple and easy to start with.You will get there fella.

:plus1:

Plenty of advise has been given to you bledyn, always keep that in the back of your mind when you feel a little down. I have been there as have a lot of others. A couple of crude edits from your shots showing that the potential is there. Take it all one step at a time and you will soon feel comfortable with it all (y)

abb7b5a8-4218-477b-92de-0c5a51b374d4_zps82e36a5c.jpg

bledyn2_zps358dc9cf.jpg

yeah i put loads of food out for them fat balls sunflower hearts fat balls peanuts and nyjer seeds and some bread in a basket.

i havent given up and im not going to.i went out yesterday with mark taff63 of here and had a great day out its a shame the sun wasnt out.

i have just downloaded faststone editing software so im going to shoot a couple of raw shots tommorow to see if my computer can handle them

thanks again

bleddyn

Good man...............(y)

Keep at it mate, it takes time (y) I have taken loads of birds and still get more crap than I am happy with, if that Sparrow shot was mine I would be well pleased (y)

Bleddyn, I haven't seen it mentioned yet and apologies if you already use one but the quickest way to improve your images is use a tripod, especially with a large lens, I always use one now due to health problems, sometimes it's a pita to carry around but without it I'd have to consider finding another hobby.
Keep at it, your bird shots show how close you're getting.
John, originally from Cardiff, also a carp angler :LOL:

To be honest, that photo of the building just needed some B&W and possibly a tad of HDR to bring it out more, I think in your position you're in a country that has some stunning scenery. You just need some time and don't panic, no one is perfect over night, some can go years without anything spectacular. It just literally takes that moment of realizing about how your camera works and the scenarios that you use it for. Worry about software later on, it's also worth looking on youtube, type in your camera model and then what you would like i.e. Canon 5D landscape help and I'm sure there will be some great tips on there :)

025_zps47bcd5b6.jpg

bleddyn

I would be more than happy if I took this one.

well its been a week tommorow since i last used the camera due to abismal light and non stop rain.i got up earley this morning as it was meant to be sunny but it wasnt unfortunatley.

its bloody typical realy as ive had some nice birds at the feeders this week i even bought a bird bath for them.

when i got my dslr i didnt have a clue what sort of photography i wanted to do but i now know its bird photography im bloody hooked.ive decided to sell my canon 50mm f/1.8 canon 55-250mm and my tamron 10-24 so ill just keep my sigma 150-500 and tamron 17-50 vc.

im looking forward to some nice weather and i hope it gets here bloody soon

thanks again to everybody thats replied to this thread(y)

bleddyn

Glad to hear you've got the bug back Bleddyn, I know how you feel being a newbie and being really dissatisfied with your shots.

It's also good to hear you've decided what kind of photography you enjoy most, as you can really work on that.

All the best, and keep at it! We had some lovely weather today, so I hope it hits you soon!

bildo.everybody is on about good weather but for some reason it got worse here today:LOL::LOL::LOL:.andi can garuntee that when im busy tommorow it will be nice i just cant win at the moment:bang::bang:

anyhow camera and lens are packed up until the sodding weather changes

bleddyn

well the sun has finally arrived:)but its brought a few problems.it seems that the birds now come to the garden realy earley morning between 6.45 and 7.30 when the garden is in the shade.then midday the sun is right in front of me so im finding it even harder now as everything comes out dark
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

bleddyn

Don't worry about shade, as Phil V said earlier, there is no such thing as bad light! actually listen a lot to Phil V, most of what he says is spot on lol.

As is another thing he mentioned, and that is people thinking a photograph starts when you lift the camera, ends when you put it down. I did a shoot recently for a project for someone, it took them 2 WEEKS of planning, before the camera was lifted. When it was lifted, there was a drawing in front of me of what I should be seeing and what I should be achieving, how the light should be, everything... That's an extreme example as a commercial shot, but the same applies to you every time you lift the camera. How are you going to frame it, what needs to be in, what needs to be out, what needs to be in focus and what needs to be obliterated etc etc etc.

Don't worry about shade, as Phil V said earlier, there is no such thing as bad light! actually listen a lot to Phil V, most of what he says is spot on lol.

As is another thing he mentioned, and that is people thinking a photograph starts when you lift the camera, ends when you put it down. I did a shoot recently for a project for someone, it took them 2 WEEKS of planning, before the camera was lifted. When it was lifted, there was a drawing in front of me of what I should be seeing and what I should be achieving, how the light should be, everything... That's an extreme example as a commercial shot, but the same applies to you every time you lift the camera. How are you going to frame it, what needs to be in, what needs to be out, what needs to be in focus and what needs to be obliterated etc etc etc.

I'd forgot about that, thanks.

I shot a bit of video recently and it's even worse, the planning and post production is much more important than getting it in the camera.

All of this doesn't remove how important it is to get the right stuff in the camera too. Never shoot anything sloppily believing you can 'fix' it in post.

I'd forgot about that, thanks.

I shot a bit of video recently and it's even worse, the planning and post production is much more important than getting it in the camera.

All of this doesn't remove how important it is to get the right stuff in the camera too. Never shoot anything sloppily believing you can 'fix' it in post.

LOL I'm not allowed near video cameras, my best footage looks shakier than a clip from Blair witch, worse lit and composed too :p

Couldn't agree more on not thinking shooting sloppy can / should be fixed in pp - for starters, in my experience it takes many times longer to edit a sloppy shoot than it would have to done to do it properly in the first place, and I'm quick in Photoshop! The only minor caveat I'd say is that sometimes it's better to get a technically imperfect shot than no shot, most usually in the case of children and animals lol

Back