Derelict House at night

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm really getting into the nighttime photography thing at the moment (y)

Here are some photos of a derelict farmhouse near where I live. It's been abandoned for at least 20 years, I know because me and my mates used to play here when we were kids.

This first shot was taken not long after sundown, before I got rained off...

Derelict house, Long Sandall by jazzywheelz, on Flickr

The following shots were taken a few days after the first one, and were taken in the middle of the night...

Derelict House 2 by jazzywheelz, on Flickr

Derelict House 4 by jazzywheelz, on Flickr

Derelict House 8 by jazzywheelz, on Flickr

This last shot is of the remains of some other houses nearby...

Derelict Houses, Long Sandall by jazzywheelz, on Flickr

Comments welcome as always :)

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't think I'd find myself saying this and wonder if there is such a thing - but you've got the night time exposure levels spot on!
I do like the night time urban light pollution effect in long exposure photos but usually they turn out very orange looking - but here you've got it all nice and soft. Looks like you got the WB setting bang on.
The subject has a lot of interest, so well done on that one.

Thanks for your comment Ian :)
To be fair I can't take any credit for the WB as it was set to auto. Also, there are some white floodlights on the factory opposite the house (one can be seen in the 3rd pic) which helped take the edge of the orange street lighting. Quite lucky really ;)

Liking these a lot. Very eerie and they almost look like a film set.

Of the set, I'm going for #3...the low table in the FG really set the photograph off.

Cheers.

Nice captures, looks a neat place to try out light painting, or even wire wool... Though there is always the chance of arson charges with that! :)

Thanks for the comments :)
I do like the idea of light painting. Think I need to get myself a decent torch (y)

Awesome set, really loving the derelict, post apocalyptic style shots.

This defiantly looks like an interesting subject and it's been captured well. If I have one word of advice is that I think the shots are a bit too light to be really creepy especially the one with floodlights, although the luminous street lighting is interesting (just darker would be more creepy)

The second photo has a model diorama feel to it. It just needs a Tamiya Tiger tank model to complete.

Nice set, I like the first one the best (y)

Darren

Thanks for all the comments guys :)
It's an interesting little place. I'll definately be going back for some more shots soon ;)

Were you all by yourself ? :)

Yes, all by myself :wacky:
No ghosties, but I did have a visit from a group of five teenagers on scooters. They soon cleared off when they spotted me though.

Local.....?

Why not arrange a TP meet??

Keep it to a few.

Cheers.

It's in Doncaster, so it's local to me ;)
I do like the idea of a small meet Andy. A bit of light painting maybe?
I'm actually following your Yorkshire meet thread on here but it seems to have gone a bit quiet. Shall I add this location to that thread or shall I start a new one?

It's in Doncaster, so it's local to me ;)
I do like the idea of a small meet Andy. A bit of light painting maybe?
I'm actually following your Yorkshire meet thread on here but it seems to have gone a bit quiet. Shall I add this location to that thread or shall I start a new one?

How strange..I was just about to update the thread title with a location Chicken Dipa (Alex) mentioned...now I do like your location :D

I don't know how many you feel would be a decent number, so I'll leave it to you and we can have a first some first served basis - needless to say me and you are top of the list :D

Are you OK with the 25 May?

Cheers.

25th should be fine for me. I'll add the location to your thread, but I'll let you have the final say.
I've never even been to a photography meet before, never mind organised one, but what I would say is probably best keep the numbers to a minimum as it's not a massive place and there are a couple of houses nearby which are occupied.

Marvellously atmospheric , the lighting is spot on.
I think an estate agent would call this one a fixer upper.
Danny.

Brilliant photos Jazzywheels, I actually live just accross from these houses in one of the 4 cottages just accross from the Canal locke. The house in the first photo has been derelict now since 1999, I can tell you a bit about it: A man called Alan Hughes owned it around that time and he rented it out to a lady named Avril, anyway she lived there for a few years but was found dead at the bottom of the stairs which were located at the front of the property (behind the front door) which you can just see in photo 1 but more clearly in photo 3, apparently she was said to have fallen down the stairs after a night out and frozen to death. The building was then vandalised over the years as you know and also suffered a couple of major fires which is a shame really as it used to be a lovely place and used to have a slate roof at the front and thatch at the back.This cottage is now owned by Dumpall just up the road.

The other 2 remains of the cottages in your last photo have been derelict since the late 80s - early 90s, the last person that lived there was a woman named Beryl and her daughter, she moved out after her daughter named Lesley drowned in the canal at the back whilst trying to save her dog, so all in all these cottages tell seperate tragic stories.
If you go there again, please be careful as there is a well beside the last 2 cottages that is just coverd with a steel sheet, (now not visible) as the grass covers it but after all these years it could collapse if stood on.

Hope you don't mind me posting this lil bit of info, your photo's are truly the best I have seen so far.

Brilliant photos Jazzywheels, I actually live just accross from these houses in one of the 4 cottages just accross from the Canal locke. The house in the first photo has been derelict now since 1999, I can tell you a bit about it: A man called Alan Hughes owned it around that time and he rented it out to a lady named Avril, anyway she lived there for a few years but was found dead at the bottom of the stairs which were located at the front of the property (behind the front door) which you can just see in photo 1 but more clearly in photo 3, apparently she was said to have fallen down the stairs after a night out and frozen to death. The building was then vandalised over the years as you know and also suffered a couple of major fires which is a shame really as it used to be a lovely place and used to have a slate roof at the front and thatch at the back.This cottage is now owned by Dumpall just up the road.

The other 2 remains of the cottages in your last photo have been derelict since the late 80s - early 90s, the last person that lived there was a woman named Beryl and her daughter, she moved out after her daughter named Lesley drowned in the canal at the back whilst trying to save her dog, so all in all these cottages tell seperate tragic stories.
If you go there again, please be careful as there is a well beside the last 2 cottages that is just coverd with a steel sheet, (now not visible) as the grass covers it but after all these years it could collapse if stood on.

Hope you don't mind me posting this lil bit of info, your photo's are truly the best I have seen so far.

Hi, a few if us, James, included had another meet there a while ago but I didn't get anything as good as James.

Quite a story you tell there, and a very sad on.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers.

Your'e very welcome posiview, glad you and a few others got to see these places as I doubt it will be around much longer by their present state. You should stick the pics you took on here, would be interesting to see!

Your'e very welcome posiview, glad you and a few others got to see these places as I doubt it will be around much longer by their present state. You should stick the pics you took on here, would be interesting to see!

Here's a link clicky linky

When we were on this meet the guy who lives in the house opposite came out and I thought we were going to get shushed away but we had a nice long chat about the houses and what we were doing.

Cheers.

lol Andy

Yeah that's Dave, hes a real nice bloke, he actually renevated that cottage that he lives in a few years back and enjoys chatting to anyone that shows interest. Suprised he didn't make you's all a cuppa lol :LOL:

Hi Andy, that guy is Dave, He enjoys a good old natter about them houses, i'm suprised he didn't make you's all a cuppa lol

I just looked at the pics you posted and like them all especially the first one.

Back