Derwent Valley

Name
Joanne Phillips
Edit My Images
No
Derwent_Small.JPG

See now, I like this image. It looks like a really nice scene, and the water line in the distance leads the eye in well.

I would however recommend three things.

Firstly, The use of a Circular Polariser would dramatically improve the sky in this shot (or similar ones if you head back there) as it would turn the sky a far deeper shade of blue, whilst keeping the clouds white. It would also add saturation to the ground as well, though this is quite well reproduced as it stands.

Secondly, with this sort of shot, I'd recommend composing to the rule of thirds... In this case, putting the horizon on the top third line might be a good idea. Though, this is a general rule, and not a must, so that's up to you really.

Lastly, and this is dependent on the above, composing to thirds rule would mean you have more foreground to play with. As such, finding some lines / interest at the very bottom of the image will help to lead the eye into the shot.

Oh, and lastly, some may dissagree with this of course, but for me it needs more of a focal point; somewhere for the eye to rest once moved into the image.

As it stands though, I do like this shot. Alot of potential here I feel :)

HTH

I like this shot! Spend alot of time photographing this area as I live very close. :)

Incidentally I had wanted to know how to better improve my skies and I think the way of a polariser may be the answer.

Woodsy, is there any particular difference between a circular and linear polariser? I'm guessing with linear you're stuck with one setting but with circular you can adjust it as you want.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. The nature of it being ciruclar or linear in polarisation is not related to the orientation of the filter on the lens. Linear polarisers have adverse effects on AF systems, and so are generally not used. However, both will affect the light which is incident upon it. Linear polarisers work by filterings out light whos electric field (or components of which) oscillate in the same plane as that of the long chain molecules (lines which conduct electricity in other words). Therefor eliminating a good proportion of the light incident.

Circular polarisers work differently. These still cut out light, around 50% of which is incident, but these work by setting the electric field vector to a constant magnitude, but as the wave travels, it rotates around the direction of travel, forming a helix. This can be set into the "left" or "right" direction.

Either way, both will have massive effects on what light passes through them. this is seen most effectivly on light which has already been reflected off a surface, like water, as the reflection causes it to become polarised.

Back