DESCRIBE SOMEONE YOU KNOW IN 6 PHOTOGRAPHS???

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I have just started a 4 week part time course (3 hours, once a week) to learn a bit about how to create a picture story. The course is being taught by a working documentary photographer. As part of this weeks homework I have been given the task of describing someone I know in 6 photos.

I have got a few ideas and I am already thjinking that if the purpose of these six images is to describe the character and personality of the person that doesn't necessarily mean all the photographs have to be of them.

I am just brainstorming different ideas for when I am with this person tomorrow and wondered if anyone here has done something similar or has any advice on things to consider or different approaches to take?

As always your help and advice on this forum is much appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Personally, I wouldn't take any photos of the person at all, at least none of the face.

I'd be focusing on personal traits or hobbies that they like to take part in. Maybe if they have a silly side I would get them to jump on a kids toy and take the photo from behind so no face in the shot.

Firstly, get a piece of paper and a pencil. Write down how you would describe them to someone else (not just how they look). Then pick 6 elements of that list that you feel would make a good photo :)

I wouldn't take any photos of the actual subject you are describing. Take visual metaphors instead to get creative. Some ideas could be soft toys for a soft nature, an elephant for good memory etc. Would be the sort of thing I'd do, but it wouldn't be easy. Have fun whatever you do.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses, The more I think about this the more I'm thinking I don't actually need to photograph the subject at all. I have listed down lots of my mates charecteristics and I am now thinking about ways to convey those things in an image but I am back in class on Thursday and running out of time. My mate is a musician and a stylish bloke, he's also a bit of a joker and very outgoing/confident. Any advice on the type of things to look out for to convey these sort of things? I'm listing ideas right now, I'm just conscious that I only have tonight and tomorrow night to shoot as I'm back in class on Thursday and work full time.

Let me know if you have any further thoughts and thanks for the previous replies.

Cheers

Danny

Ok, here goes nothing
How about a selective lighting shot oh hands holding a guitar, for the musician. Then a close shot of a cravat and flower for style, then the flower squirting water for joker, or a gun with a BANG flag at the end, maybe even pointing at guitar and called killer riff?
I'd love to see the end results, whatever you decide on :)
good luck with your quest

Back