Beginner Designing a camera case for A-level and University Students

Ben Freemantle

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, For my product design A-level Unit 2 I'am thinking on designing a casing that stores Camera lenses, bodies and other peripherals that a beginner/student will need for their photography. This product also needs to help solve a problem that most of the camera cases out there wont really offer. So I'm asking what are the big annoyances you have during a photo shoot that the camera casing can solve or any modern casings don't incorporate. All responses are greatly appreciated. also for my coursework I will screenshot the conversation if thats okay

Ability to change lenses easily and safely in dirty or wet conditions where you can\t put anytihng down.

Make it waterproof and holds equipment securely and lockable. maybe take a look at the Peli range for inspiration

I use a lowepro flipside AW400 if I need to work on the move and it's a great case. They designed it so that it could be used as a "working platform" by resting it on the hip. However, it doesn't really work as well as I'd like. The flap gets in the way when you use it in that configuration, constantly closing itself and the whole thing is not really rigid enough when you have multiple heavy lenses in the compartments. If a heavy body is in situ at the top of the backpack, then the whole thing angles down and away from you which makes it a bit awkward.

The biggest annoyance is undoubtedly the lack of ability to retain the flap when the backpack is used from the hip. An example of this is shown below. You can see that the guy has to use a hand just to retain the flap. This is annoying, particularly if you want to change lenses as you're messing about with lens caps whilst simultaneously trying to hold open the flap!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/J0d2ZINCAao/maxresdefault.jpg

I'd make the flap into segments, allowing it to roll or fold, and have some retention method. The backpack was designed for speed of access, but in reality, it only half works in my opinion.

Another point of note. There is a loop for attaching a tripod to the rear of the backpack, yet a heavy tripod pulls down on the loop/fabric far too much. There is a pocket to assist by supporting the feet of the tripod, but it's too small to be of practical use with my manfrotto. This aspect could definitely be improved upon, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. Every comment is greatly appreciated and will take me a long way in my coursework, and thanks for the time to reply
-Ben Freemantle

A platform/flap with some form of straps to stop it collapsing would be useful.
It would need a lip to stop items falling off and be able to be zipped closed.
Straps for attaching a tripod, maybe vertically and horizontally.
A rain cover that could be folded/zipped away in a back pocket.

An outside, velcro fastened pocket for lens caps would be handy. And some loops to allow further lens pouches to be added if/when necessary.

How about something a bit different...like having part of the frame that forms the structure of the bag, which can then be turned into a rigid tripod with the bag being used as a weight to hold it down? I use a fairly large backpack, but still can't get a tripod in it, so it has to be carried separately or attached to the outside of the bag.

How about something a bit different...like having part of the frame that forms the structure of the bag, which can then be turned into a rigid tripod with the bag being used as a weight to hold it down? I use a fairly large backpack, but still can't get a tripod in it, so it has to be carried separately or attached to the outside of the bag.

This and then after the frame becomes a tripod the bag part becomes a pop up hide.

What about using the tripod as a frame? If you could fit flip up wheels then you could effectively have a trolley which would save all the pfaff of taking off/putting on backpacks. A sizeable portion of all photography is done in areas where gear could be wheeled around.

not much then

Need an outside pocket for a water bottle on this waterproof tripod, table, bag and trolley.

Need an outside pocket for a water bottle on this waterproof tripod, table, bag and trolley.
Now that is just ridiculous! :)

I have two of those, lowepro computrekker and whatever my smaller aw trekker bag is.

Backpacks work well for me, some have side pockets, some have mesh pockets, I think the pockets with covers work well, but they should be big enough to take a water bottle. Lowepro have straps that attach other accessories so you can mix and match. Their tripod carrying works well, flap unfolds for a pocket to put the feet in then straps to hold it to the bag. Only these straps are elasticated cord, I'd prefer adjustable straps.

The biggest problem with camera bags is that, in general, they look like camera bags. This isn't always a good thing. Unless you know kung fu.

Reactions: BBR
Back