Desire HD is in da house

I probably charge my iphone 3gs 3 times a week at most and it's connected to my wifi network all day. I don't tend to use it much as a phone but lots for checking internet etc. I have push turned off for that very reason.

DOn't get me wrong, I don't think iphone batteries are great either - i mean they seem better than this though, but still its pretty pathetic that smartphone batteries have such little life yet consumers seem to accept it.

If I had to charge my phone every night it would be put back in the box and sent back to the shop!

Can't say I like the new Desire, the old model looks far more modern. I've had my Desire since the week they came out and it's due for upgrade again in June so hopefully I'll be able to grab the next latest and greatest as it were.

Don't forget that whilst the Desire HD does indeed have a larger screen than the Desire, it's an LCD compared to the early Desires having an AMOLED.

Can't say I like the new Desire, the old model looks far more modern. I've had my Desire since the week they came out and it's due for upgrade again in June so hopefully I'll be able to grab the next latest and greatest as it were.

Don't forget that whilst the Desire HD does indeed have a larger screen than the Desire, it's an LCD compared to the early Desires having an AMOLED.

I know it is SLCD....and I knot that early Desire's had Amoled...but as said in my first post I dont care :nuts:

I know it is SLCD....and I knot that early Desire's had Amoled...but as said in my first post I dont care :nuts:

Well you made a good choice all the same. Blackberrys and iPhones are best avoided (y)

(y) Great purchase!..Picked mine up from cpw the other day got it free on an upgrade.Have to say it is an amazing phone and love the flash!(not the dual led type!lol)
Yep battery life will see you through the day with moderate use and like the OP I have no qualms charging it of an evening.The browser is superb and everything runs very fast and smooth.I used to use a htc hd 2 windows pphone and the difference is amazing. The camera is also very good for a phone.I am curious to see how the new windows 7 phones fare but for now I reckon this must be one of if not the best handset on the market right now.:nuts:

re batteries.. its a little subjective dependant on usage but is it really hard to believe that phones need more regular charging? in this age where phones HAVE to be lighter and thinner than ever before and still keep 20 billion different functions and have more powerful processors..

sure my old sony ericssons used to last for days but that did naff all.

these days my desire (non HD) needs to have 24/7 wifi enabled for home and work, 24/7 bluetooth enabled for my parot hands free, 24/7 sync of my email, 24/7 sync of my social networking.. thats before you add on phone calls, SMS and misc internet access.

mine does all that and its about half way to 1/4 remaining by the time it hits the charging dock on my bedside table. so in that instance its no skin off my nose.

i was off sick from wednesday, so had a good look on battery life in HD.
while at home, with WIFI on all the time, browsing www, playing games it easilly survived a day.

today with no games, www, only email sync, battery went down for like 30% !!! impressive !!

I know that tomorrow I go to work , and by the time I finish battery will be around 30% if not lower ( thanks to thick walls)

So I can say that battery in HD is good.

re batteries.. its a little subjective dependant on usage but is it really hard to believe that phones need more regular charging? in this age where phones HAVE to be lighter and thinner than ever before and still keep 20 billion different functions and have more powerful processors..

sure my old sony ericssons used to last for days but that did naff all.

these days my desire (non HD) needs to have 24/7 wifi enabled for home and work, 24/7 bluetooth enabled for my parot hands free, 24/7 sync of my email, 24/7 sync of my social networking.. thats before you add on phone calls, SMS and misc internet access.

mine does all that and its about half way to 1/4 remaining by the time it hits the charging dock on my bedside table. so in that instance its no skin off my nose.

why 24/7? Aren't there hours when you sleep that it doesn't need to have that connection?

Also, with progression in technology of what the phone does and size why hasn't battery progression kept up with it? I just think the market has sacrificed one of the most important things in a device for other functions, and the consumer hasn't stopped to question what's up.

today with no games, www, only email sync, battery went down for like 30% !!! impressive !!

this blows my mind.

you did nothing but email sync and you lost 30% of your battery and you are happy about that!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying other phones are miles better I just think we have got to a very crazy place as consumers that we're impressed with a 3rd of out battery loss in one day for minimal usage.

Mental

personally for me the functionality outways the battery life as its not inconvinient for me to charge overnight.. even with a better battery life itll still go in its charging dock overnight so its a bit of a non-issue for me

and regarding having it all on 24/7.. its lazyness maybe, plus why should i have to keep turning stuff on and off? its inconvinient.

Last edited:
Also, with progression in technology of what the phone does and size why hasn't battery progression kept up with it? I just think the market has sacrificed one of the most important things in a device for other functions, and the consumer hasn't stopped to question what's up.

Battery technology has moved on by leaps and bounds, it's the main reason why you can have a phone a few millimeters thick that will last for hours of constant use. We could always go back to using AA batteries and recharging them every 30 minutes...

personally for me the functionality outways the battery life as its not inconvinient for me to charge overnight.. even with a better battery life itll still go in its charging dock overnight so its a bit of a non-issue for me

Non-issue for me too. I have had every iPhone, then moved to Android with the HTC Desire and never looked back. I have changed the UI from Sense to Launcher Pro Plus - The customisation is unlimited as Android is open source with thousands of apps and widgets being available on the Android market. Battery life is an issue (needs charging every night) but improves with time, and not having to be locked into Apple only far outweighs this for me though.

Widgets are fantastic, especially the analytics ones for keeping track of site visits / stats etc. With Launcher Pro Plus, widget sizes and icons can be changed, enabling you to completely customize the look of your phone.

For me it's a bit like when I changed from PC to Mac, moving to Android you never look back .... !

and regarding having it all on 24/7.. its lazyness maybe, plus why should i have to keep turning stuff on and off? its inconvinient.

Your phone should be smart enough to turn itself on and off without you doing it!(y)

I would reccommend not sticking it in the charger if you didn't need to. The more times you charge your battery the shorter it's lifespan.

how would it do that? surely it needs to be turned on to know theres a wireless network/bluetooth device that it needs to connect to? :shrug:

But since it doesn't need to be on whilst you are asleep it could just go into hibernate mode between the hours of 11-6am or whatever you sleep for then wake itself up. I do it with my iMac - it goes to sleep at 11pm then wakes up at 8am so when I walk into my office in my house it's ready to be used with all emails downloaded.

Lithium batteries perform best if they are charged regularly.

I have the original v.1 iPhone and i have thought about trying other phone as they seem to be much better deal on them than the iPhone.

I also got a iMac/Macbook Pro and iPad too, and the "problem" when you have all that is they all intergrate together seemlessly. That is the beauty of Apple.

So to change phone, I was thinking Blackberry, i would mean i probably need to put in all my contacts again, start my Apps again, which is a pain in the butt to say the least. Not to mention another type of lead, another charger, another phone application on my system.

Henice even though it cost me a small fortune, i ended up with the iPhone 4.

Just plug in new phone into the iMac, press sync. Every contact, email settings, photos, apps, music, even text messages all transferred acrossed.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

i press one button on my Desire and I have all contacts synced with exchange, gmail etc...

thanks to this I have what I need on my laptop, on my work computer ...wherever I want...not only on my PC at home where i have iTunes lol

[rant]
this thread turned in to argue between Apple fans that dont accept other mobiles than iPhones, and other, 'normal' phone users [/rant]

Last edited:
I've just noticed this thread get hi-jacked by Apple fanboys too. It's funny though when they go walking off tail between legs when they find the Desire can do it but better. I still have Desire HD lust though...

actually my argument is about battery life in smartphones in general not simply by model. battery life is a joke and consumers lap it up like its great to charge your phone every night, stuns me.

i am an apple fanboy though, just not in this thread :LOL:

here im more of a nokia 7210 fanboy

Last edited:
actually my argument is about battery life in smartphones in general not simply by model. battery life is a joke and consumers lap it up like its great to charge your phone every nig, stuns me.

i am an apple fanboy though, just not in this thread :LOL:

here im more of a nokia 7210 fanboy

in that case try to beat 6310i .....

:cautious:

i press one button on my Desire and I have all contacts synced with exchange, gmail etc...

thanks to this I have what I need on my laptop, on my work computer ...wherever I want...not only on my PC at home where i have iTunes lol

It's not just that

There is the Apps, I have a LOT, and some i REALLY like. And have invested quite a bit of money into them...Logitmein - £18 for example.

ive got it, well had it for a few days and love it :) I managed to sell my itunes account and got about 50 quid for it, i had spent over 100 over the years but ho hum...

I love my desire hd its great...

Just looking for cool cases now :)

How long does the battery last? Like with moderate use, not trying to replace a PC with the phone. Just making few calls, little browsing and few mails :)

im getting over a day at the moment, have turned gps off though... :) i love it! cant stop playing with it!

Any better / worse battery life than the Desire? The useless battery in my Desire is slowly pushing me towards going back to iPhone....

didn't have a desire, but am finding that the battery is getting better the more i use it. It appears this is being confirmed over the internet on other forums. I use my phone quite alot and am taking off charge at 6am and re charging at 11pm, and ive still got juice left.

Androids have pretty crap battery - Legend, Xperia, Desire I know from experiecne, more models from friends too. iPhone battery I find to be good, despite people claiming otherwise. and I'm not just saying that having apple etc.

Back