Detroit Skyline - Gigapan

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Been playing around with the GigaPan Epic Pro. Such a cool piece of kit. The linked image was take from the Canadian side of the Detroit river, facing downtown Detroit.

The zoom feature shows you how far out can zoom in. I shot this with a D700 with a 70-200 vr2. For these types of shots 200mm is ok but more zoom wouldn't hurt :). All shot in manual, 1/400 @ f10 and IS0 200.

In all, 125(ish) shots stitched together producing around 560 megapixels. The native size in is 605x109 inches.

Anyone else use the Gigapan?

This is a scaled down version on Flickr. The link for the full interactive version is here - http://gigapan.com/gigapans/130711

9185795987_41b1d4d506_c.jpg

Last edited:
Well stitched and a very nice pic but I wanted more after reading your post. I wlll check the full interactive link version later and perhaps I will dig even more, so let's just say this is a free bump for now.

Thanks. I know what you mean, It's a shame the full interactive version can't be embedded in the post, that's why I linked to a scaled down version that I uploaded to Flickr.

The zoom feature on gigapan is quite amazing. Could a very high resolution version of one of these sticthed together photos be printed in large format? Or would the printing process scale the resolution back again?

Good stuff - I love looking at these.

I tend to think of them as lots of long shots that you can zoom 'out' from, rather than wide shots that you can zoom 'in' to.

that is crazy, i just zoomed in the the bloke walking along in a red coat, at 1st i thought whats he on about its not that great, then zoomed back out and saw much far away it was,

mate its the nuts, thanks for this

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm glad you like it.

Could a very high resolution version of one of these sticthed together photos be printed in large format? Or would the printing process scale the resolution back again?

Interesting point. The native size of this shot is 605x109 inches, unless I can find someone to print such large scale for a reasonable price I think the biggest I'll ever get this is likely 30% of that.

I have seen examples of other photographers work being printed 30x90 and it looked amazing. I saw a company in Toronto (called '44 wide' i think) attempt to print one which was about 6ftx17ft but there were printer driver issues with producing such an enormous print.

depending on viewing distance, they could be printed in slices/pieces, like a billboard?

Really needs to be viewed large in the interactive version to appreciate the detail in it . . . but when you do zoom in it's amazing.

First time that I've seen something like this on the forums, so thank you for showing it.

Yeah checked it out eventually and loved zooming in and out on it. Brill! (y)

Back