Developing and printing newbie

Edit My Images
No
I have some old film, some 120 roll, and some 35mm, that I'd like to have a shot at printing (obviously, its already developed). Can anyone point me in the right direction (in particular recommend a good how-to book), and give me an idea of what equipment I'd need, and a budget estimate? I'd be happy to buy used kit where that's viable. I don't have any permanent space for a darkroom, at the moment, but do have a space I can black out.

I want to do this simply to learn the ropes, and maybe continue in future (I'm toying with adding a film camera, probably medium format, to my kit).

Thanks.

black and white is reasonable easy as its basicaly enlarger 3 sets of chems and works under red light

colour is more complimacated

as for enlargers ones that do big negs properly are much dearer than ones that are 35mm only

see if you can find someone getting out of it and nick all their old kit :D

It would be B&W only. Can you recommend an enlarger that will do 120? Just so I can start looking, get an idea of what's available, cost, etc.

nope, hunting myself as I love 6x7, I have a 35mm enlarger 'on loan' for the summer while I find a proper one

Durts M605 will do 120 up to 6x6 for you.

Thanks - there seem to be a few of those around. What lens(es) would I need? As best I recall, some of the negs were shot with a Mamiya 7, using std/wide/tele lenses...

For 6x6 you want something in the region of 75-80mm. You don't need to change the enlarger lens because of what the film was shot with. You only change the lens for different sized negatives eg 35mm of 5x4

For 6x6 you want something in the region of 75-80mm. You don't need to change the enlarger lens because of what the film was shot with. You only change the lens for different sized negatives eg 35mm of 5x4

so when I found a 35mm lens to enlarge my mf negs I did it backwards FFS :bang:

35mm lens? THat must be for 1/2 frame or something daft! 35mm negs normally use a 50mm lens. Having said that, much like everything it's a good guide rather than a hard and fast rule. It's more to do with how close you'll have the lens to the base board for different sized negs and prints and there effect that has on exposure timing. There are other effects but I think that's the main one.

I also believe though have never tried it that if you use a lens of too short a focal length for the negative there is a risk of vignetting on the print.

I also believe though have never tried it that if you use a lens of too short a focal length for the negative there is a risk of vignetting on the print.

WHAT A ******** I though I was getting vignetting because the enlarger wasn't built for it I need to get to exe asap to grab that other lens and some 67 and66 masks

What enlarger is it you're using? Mine (Durst M605) also requires a different lens board for 35mm and 120 to move the lens either further away or closer to the negative. Guess you're not using this as it doesn't do 6x7 but it's something to be aware of with different enlargers. I thought I'd bought a complete setup but I have had to buy loads of extras for it.

80mm lens, all the lenses it came with were like petri dishes
Lens board for use with 120 negs
6x6 mask, came with 35mm and 645
Glass inserts so that I could print with film border (the epitome of cool), waste of money, still get Newton rings even with ANR glass.

I don't know that paticular one is in the darkroom at uni and I never really looked (my current one is on summer loan from there :p)

Back