Developing Chemicals - Your recommendation

Its always best to let them dry fully first before taking any action over curling. If its a big problem and stops you getting decent scans then sandwich it between lots of heavy books and leave for a day or two, that sometimes helps!

Just as I though, the Ilfosol 3 went off in 5 months. I only did like 3 rolls as well.

Now I'm looking for some longer lasting developer and heard that HC110 is good like that and it was recommended earlier in the thread. Can anyone tell me if this is the right one? http://www.processuk.net/index.aspx?pageid=740597&prodid=3427036 I read that it comes in two variations?

Thanks in advance :)

Get Rodinal, i've only gone though one bottle in 15 months, looking at my neg folder, i've used it for about 40 rolls, 35mm and 120

You wont notice the enhanced grain in the 120 films and it's not that bad in 35mm

robhooley167 said:
Get Rodinal, i've only gone though one bottle in 15 months, looking at my neg folder, i've used it for about 40 rolls, 35mm and 120

You wont notice the enhanced grain in the 120 films and it's not that bad in 35mm

my only concern is that I mainly use films that are 1600 or above and I'm concerned that Rodinal is going to produce excessive grain?

my only concern is that I mainly use films that are 1600 or above and I'm concerned that Rodinal is going to produce excessive grain?

You might as well try it? Nothing to be lost from a bit of experimentation. If you don't like it, use it for slow films.

It also helps to use rodinal at low concentrations (1:50 or 1:100 stand) as it helps control the grain a bit more.

Thanks, I've ordered some Rodinal and will give stand developing a go!

Another vote here for Rodinal.........I don't find the grain a problem at 1 + 50 although only devd maximum 400 iso with it!

Just finished drying and cut them into strips. I didn't realise stand development could be so easy!

This is Rumaysa, my two week old daughter :)

Rumaysa_Neopan_1600.jpg

More to come in a proper thread.

Last edited:
Just finished drying and cut them into strips. I didn't realise stand development could be so easy!

This is Rumaysa, my two week old daughter :)

Rumaysa_Neopan_1600.jpg

More to come in a proper thread.

That deserves :clap::clap::clap: in so may ways. Congratulations.

Where do you folks buy your chemicals from? AG and Silverprint's postage charges seem quite high so it makes buying small amounts quite pricey.

I get my stuff all over the place but try and get most from my local lab, gotta support your local, small guy shops.
My alternative and historic process chemicals however, i get off ebay, i am surprised so far what you can actually purchase on that site lol

Silverprint, although I can pick it up in person. Check if Process Supplies is cheaper for what you want, they tend to be reasonably competitive for these sorts of things.

Thanks chaps.

Not sure if there are any shops left in Edinburgh who sell chemicals, maybe Calumet but I've not been there.

I use Kodak Tmax, I've always had really good results with it. I tend to get mine from Silverprint or Nova :)

Sorry for the thread resurrection here chaps but I am finally (!) taking the plunge into home developing and my lovely o/h has agreed to kit me up for Christmas!

This may be the stupidest question ever asked on here but I know you guys are super helpful! If I were to ask her to buy me a developer in liquid form, probably Ilfosol 3, would I just use enough of the developer for each roll then leave the rest in the bottle or would I have to make it all at once and keep it in a different bottle? On a similar note, if she were to get me one of the chemicals in powder form, would I just use however much of the powder to make the solution for one film and keep the rest of the powder or would I have to use it all at once and keep it in a different bottle?

I am sorry for the total beginner-ness of these questions!

norters said:
Sorry for the thread resurrection here chaps but I am finally (!) taking the plunge into home developing and my lovely o/h has agreed to kit me up for Christmas!

This may be the stupidest question ever asked on here but I know you guys are super helpful! If I were to ask her to buy me a developer in liquid form, probably Ilfosol 3, would I just use enough of the developer for each roll then leave the rest in the bottle or would I have to make it all at once and keep it in a different bottle? On a similar note, if she were to get me one of the chemicals in powder form, would I just use however much of the powder to make the solution for one film and keep the rest of the powder or would I have to use it all at once and keep it in a different bottle?

You take out as much as you need and then do it back up. Just a warning on ilfosol 3, it doesn't have the longest shelf life and goes off without warning so if you are not using it very often another developer may be better.

Powder is made up all at once into a stock solution and then further diluted down into a working solution.

The powders are best made up and stored in a single batch then diluted to working concentration. Most (?) liquids are one shot, so you dilute only the required amount just before use.

If the shop your ordering from does rodinal get her to chuck it in the basket, its got a good shelf life and is very cheap to use. It good for playing with as it's so well documented and once you've got the hang of what ever other dev you get you can try something different with out having to pay another lor of postage.

Ninja'd

Thanks for the replies as always chaps! Actually found some Rodinal online (doing a Christmas list for her!) and it does seem like the best economy!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but most reuse developers work out cheaper than Rodinal per roll of film developed.

Obviously works better if you shoot semi-regularly and can finish the bottle!

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I think I have decided on asking for Rodinal initially and then when I have the techniques down I can move on and experiment with others. Currently looking through all kinds of Flickr groups and getting prematurely excited :)

I recently developed my first roll of bw film, I used the Kodak D76 powder. I had quite a lot of sediment in the bottle left over - apparently heating can help with this :) Just a heads up!

norters said:

I think Ilfosol doesn't come in a small size either and I only got two rolls out of mine before it went off!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but most reuse developers work out cheaper than Rodinal per roll of film developed.

Obviously works better if you shoot semi-regularly and can finish the bottle!

Do reuse developers not add extra faff? Just curious. Is it just a matter of storing the working strength chemicals and remembering to add extra time as the chemical depletes?

I recently developed my first roll of bw film, I used the Kodak D76 powder. I had quite a lot of sediment in the bottle left over - apparently heating can help with this :) Just a heads up!

I know that ilford id11 is essentially the same chemical and i always mix mine at the recommend 40 degrees with no problems.
As an exited first timer i can imagine perhaps missing this out and mixing at the dev temp instead? Just a thought.

I think Ilfosol doesn't come in a small size either and I only got two rolls out of mine before it went off!

As I said earlier in this thread, rather than Ilfosol 3 I would get Patterson Aculux 3 as it has a much longer life (mines still fine after nearly 12 months) and works out altogether much cheaper as you can get 1L for pretty much the same price as 500mL of Ilfosol 3. It also gives very nice fine grained but sharp negatives.

Well it's all ordered :) Paterson kit, Rodinal, Ilfostop, Ilford Rapid Fixer, changing bag and a bunch more film! Excited about Christmas for the first time in years!

Got a lot of researching to do now. Erring towards stand development. Been looking at Flickr groups and am inspired.

norters said:
Well it's all ordered :) Paterson kit, Rodinal, Ilfostop, Ilford Rapid Fixer, changing bag and a bunch more film! Excited about Christmas for the first time in years!

Got a lot of researching to do now. Erring towards stand development. Been looking at Flickr groups and am inspired.

if you live in a hard water area, don't forget photo flo or a drop of washing detergent. my negatives are clean as a whistle now, but before used to be caked in water residue

Back