Di need to remove my uv filter when using a circular polarizer?

Depends on the lens and how think both filters are as you may end up with some vignetting and maybe a drop in image quality as you are shooting through more glass.

(others will correct me if I am wrong)

Don't seem to have any ill-effects when I've done it on my Nikons Dean. Give it a go and see what you think. It's easy enough to do a side by side test to confirm in your own mind if there's any difference.

Guy

If you are using a very wide angle lens it's likly you'll see a small amount of vignetting due to the polariser and UV filter. This is normaly only at the extreem edges and is usually not significant. I've use both polariser and UV at the same time and not noticed any significant deterioration in the image. It may be there but you'll really have to look for it

I'm not sure why you'd want to use both, would expect the polariser to be sufficient on it's own?

What about on a cropped sensor, I guess the vignetting would happen to the part of the image circle that isn't projected onto a cropped sensor..,

There's no point in using both. As stated there's a risk of vignetting and image degadation. UV filters have a negligible effect on the image anyway.

Eventually I stopped using UV filters because there is often a polariser on the lens as well. I also use the polariser for protection.

(Chorus of "he must be mad")

A good polariser needs to be pretty scratch proof. I'm hoping my new B&W one is!

Back