Diamond Jubilee EiiR

Edit My Images
Yes
Despite the EiiR being an open secret, I wasn't going to post any images of it until the BBC had uveiled the formation on Saturday. This post is aimed at providing you an idea as to the process that took us to the superb display of precision flying on Saturday.

The first order of business was for the individual Sqns to practise their elements. 208 Sqn had the R, callsign Ruby, 100Sqn and NFWS had the ii, Callsign Ingot. IV(R) Sqn had the E and adopted the callsign Emerald.

E 2 8 May 12 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Then elements of each formation practised the spacing along the front of the formation:

Last photo taken 10 May 12 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

This shot was taken as we formed up for our second full EiiR practise with Valley ATC as the target. The spare for Ingot can be seen trailing at the back.

Jubilee formup by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Formed up and being 'whipped' into position.

EiiR initial form up 14 May 12 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Jubilee formation crossing the 19 Sqn beach at RAF Valley.

EiiR Crossing beach 14 May 12 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Overhead the target at Valley.

EiiR Over target 14 May 12 by StampedeT2, on Flickr

Great photos Paul

awesome. Great insight into the prep for such a display... the finished product shots are outstanding against the sky backdrop (y)

#jealousasfcuk.com :)

The insight is great and watching it on TV at work it looked impressive.

Pity one of mine wasn't in the flypast but the ones we had left here were proper broken. I'd have loved to be on the open ramp of one of the Herks...

Didn't even manage to get out the office in time to see the Hawks taxi past and takeoff. :( Sky was really flat and grey here too.

great shots havent a clue what they are about however whats the EiiR?

Elizabeth the second Regina.

Or the flypast on Saturday during the Armed Forces (Royal Navy, Army & Royal Air Force) Tribute as part of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Great photo's paul,thank you very much for sharing them.It's fascinating to see the prep that goes into these events.can't wait to see your other shots.

Really nice stuff; we went through the same process but were cursed with a grey and hazy sky on the practice (although we did manage a cheeky diamond over the Reds ASP =p). Can't wait to see the ones from the day itself. Your formation looked fantastic.

A great set of photos Paul.(y)Every time I look at your shots I think..."My job is so boring".:crying:

You have some very rare images here Paul... in years to come you will be able to sit back and look at these knowing your the only one in the country that has such a unique perspective on this event
so look after them LOL
cannot really say much else bar that I am green with envy at you being able to get such shots

I love the over the water - beach and runway shots
Chris

They're awesome Cheesy.

Friend of mine pointed me in the direction of similar shots, taken by the Typhoon 9 Whip Aircraft..

Typhoon Diamond 9

You have some very rare images here Paul... in years to come you will be able to sit back and look at these knowing your the only one in the country that has such a unique perspective on this event
so look after them LOL
cannot really say much else bar that I am green with envy at you being able to get such shots

I love the over the water - beach and runway shots
Chris

Thanks Chris, I certainly am fortunate to have the photo collection that I've built over the years. It all lives on a single 300GB harddrive - I really should back it up some time!

All the best,

Cheesy

Back