Did I just waste a load of money on a GH4R w. 14-140mm?

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if I did the right thing...

Panasonic are giving £200 cashback when you by this kit (£1449) which was further reduced to £1299 because the box seal was broken (I though £150 for this was more than fair for this) -

I should get this camera for about £1099 at the end of all deductions.... baring in mind the kit lens is worth about £500, I'm getting a GH4R for £599

I already have the G7 and love it, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between them...

Should I take my GH4R back and spend some of the money on another G7? Or is the GH4R a much better durable professional camera?

I have some fast Nikon Glass and a Speedbooster, but I like the optical stabilisation in the native lenses...

I shoot concerts (usually by myself) and leave a camera running on a wide and shoot an additional manned angle - it would be handy to have the unlimited recording duration in this case.

Thanks!

The gh4r is a great camera, but if I were you, I'd take it back and pre-order the new gh5, you can put a grand down and pay the rest over 12 months with ifc.
For filming concerts the better low light performance, together with better colour depth, and higher bit rate, and better audio performance should make the gh5 an amazing bit of kit.
Alternatively, if you need the extra focal length, and can't stretch to the gh5, have a look at the Panasonic fz2000.

I own both a G7 and GH3 with battery grip, the latter very similar if not identicall to the GH4 in terms of build quality. The G7 feels lightweight and almost hollow when handling it. The battery is relatively small and there is no battery grip available for it. By comparison, the GH3 is very well built, weathersealed and has a large battery by M43 standards, the battery grip holds a second identical battery. Both the GH4 and G7 will be limited to 29 mins recording. The G7 has no socket for sound monitoring but the GH4 does if this is important. I haven't tried it but I don't know if the G7 battery will last for 29 minutes, especially if it is providing power to such as the Lumix microphone.

It's a tough call as to whether to keep the GH4 or not. A very good camera which Panasonic has said it will continue to supply. I think it will receive a price cut once the GH5 becomes readily available, so it might be a way of losing a lot of value very quickly. Having said that, the G7 is also likely to lose a lot of value quickly, it has been replaced by the G80 already, that appears to be quite an improvement but more money.

Just incase you don't know, the gh4R has no 30 minute record limit, and comes with vlog, Where as the gh4 has a record limiter and no vlog. So make sure you get the correct one if that's the way you decide to go.

I'd definitely not be buying a GH4 right now, it's 3(4?) years old and the replacement is 2 months away, and is possibly the most impressive mirrorless camera for video work.

Just incase you don't know, the gh4R has no 30 minute record limit, and comes with vlog, Where as the gh4 has a record limiter and no vlog. So make sure you get the correct one if that's the way you decide to go.

It comes with VLog-L, allowing it to be easily matched to a camera that does have VLog. Unfortunately that means on it's 8bit internal recorder that it only uses a very limited subset of the available levels.

The GH5 allows you to record HDR vdeo in HLG, which is easier to work with.

Gh5 now available, but quite expensive, A second hand gh4 is less than half the price, and is still a good camera.
It depends on your budget.

I don't think you've wasted your money, I'm eyeing the GH4, as GH5 is at a premium price. As mentioned, comes down to budget I suppose.

Back