Did I nearly get struck by lightning...

Edit My Images
Yes
..... Or is this some other photographic anomaly?

Hi everyone. I was on a boating trip in the Norfolk broads over the weekend, on Friday evening there was an epic thunderstorm! (Stupidly) nipped out to take some footage. I snapped this photo around a second before a bolt of lightning hit close by. Originally I thought this make be a leader from the lightning bolt, meaning I'm a very lucky (and silly) boy, but now I'm not sure sure, and think it may be something else. Not sure if it helps, but the image was taken on an iPhone 6.

Would be great if somebody could help shed some light on it, as everyone I've shown so far has been stumped!

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-23862-0-36511000-1436035209.jpg

hmm, its been a long time since i watched my favourite Equinox programme about lighting, but i feel like leaders go straight up? but i might be talking b*****ks...

Wow that looks amazing, your lucky you didn't get fried

Did you smell the ozone ? , if you did then your were close to getting the biggest slap of your life :eek:

Was it taken through a window? It looks like there are some reflections there too.

No it was taken from the back deck of the river boat, so no windows there.

Flying Spaghetti Monster seems the most plausible explanation so far!

The part of the boat in the bottom right hand corner looks very brightly illuminated, did the flash go off? I'm wondering if this is some sort of lens artifact from the bounce-back.

The part of the boat in the bottom right hand corner looks very brightly illuminated, did the flash go off? I'm wondering if this is some sort of lens artifact from the bounce-back.

Hadn't noticed that. I couldn't say for definite but this is a possibility! Although still think Flying Spaghetti Monster is more plausible :)

Back