Did your new purchase make you a better photographer ?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Sitting here, reading TP whilst sat round the pool in the Majorca sunshine (yeah I know, life's hard :)) and reading threads like the the one on the new 50+ mp Canon DSLR's, got me thinking into how many times I've "upgraded" over the years, thinking that somehow my new purchase will make me a better photographer.

The reality for me at least, has sadly been not much. Sure, a specific lens can get you a shot you just could achieve with another, or a body with specific features for low light or sports photography may well have got you that elusive shot, but for the rest of us "everyday" photographers, who shoot everything from Landscapes to portraits, to macro etc, has buying the latest and greatest camera bodies actually improved your photography?

This is in no way a dig at anyone who has (as I myself are the biggest exponent of change because something newer and shinier just came out), but I'm genuinely interested at stories where the new purchase actually lead to you either being a better photographer or capable of getting shots that eluded you before. If it has great, please tell me how.

I've been looking at my Flickr account which contains images shot from everything from my D100, D200, D3x, D3s, D300, D4, D800, D750, D7200, D810 as well as Olympus OMD EM5, EM1, EM5 MKIi etc, and whilst I don't think (or would like to think), my photos are crap, looking back at the older images showed me that composition, subject, light etc, were far more important than whether the camera had 6, 12, 16, 24 or 36mp.

I for one have spent a small fortune on kit over the years, which I don't mind as its my hobby, and we don't have kids, I don't smoke etc. so I can afford my little indulgences, but am interested in hearing others stories.

I have to say that, for me, the purchase of new equipment has been a 'sideways' benefit to my photography. What has happened is that something shiny and new has got me all enthusiastic, has meant that I lug my gear around with me, which has meant that I got more shots of which a few are really good.
So kind of yes, new equipment has got me better shots but only kind of - in terms of actual picture quality, I am not so sure!

I used to always be looking at other lenses, and occasionally bodies, dreaming about how I could be such a great photographer, if only I had the right kit. It's complete nonsense of course. Until you have completely mastered every aspect of the gear you have, and reached a point where you feel its limitations are holding you back, there is no need to be looking for new equipment. If you find the nature of the work are doing means you actually NEED something longer/wider/faster, then it will be worth the investment but, until then, the improvements need to come from the person holding the camera. Great photos are made by great photographers, not great equipment.

A new camera won't make you a better photographer, but it will motivate you to go out and shoot more, which in turn makes you a better photographer :). I'm at the point now where I upgrade but don't get that buzz to go out and shoot. Rattled off maybe 200 frames on the X-Pro1 I picked up 2 months ago... it gets to a point whereby you understand photography to the extent that all cameras become the same, if that makes sense. Like the X-Pro to me it's the same as an X100, 35mm f1.4 is about the same as a Nikon 35mm 1.8 G I had ages ago. Much of a muchness really.

I will admit that as my photography progresses I'm chasing simplicity more and more. I think that's why a lot end up with Leicas. The X-Pro is close, the X-T1 closer, but still feels like too many options. All I really want is real dials for Aperture, Shutter, & ISO with manual (preferably rangefinder) focus & a few film simulation modes. I'd forgo any kind of display and have it running like a film camera.

Last edited:
My last purchase was a new lens, this time a macro lens (Canon 100mm MACRO f2.8 L). Whilst I initially used it for some macro work which was a new genre for me and challenging, it did make me think differently and improved my work. Saying that, I then had a week in London on a course and ended up not checking my camera bag as time was tight. Trying to shoot on a fixed lens for city scape shots was a real challenge and I loved it. I ended up writing a blog for it as the results were so much better than I could have hoped for. It made me think differently on how I shot which has improved my game even more now I would say.

www.shadow-shots.com/blog/

Hmmm tough question this.

I don't think gear makes you a better photographer but I have noticed that compared to my older photos I have a higher percentage of keepers these days with higher end kit than before - noise, AF, low light, etc. are improved. Plus nice glass has helped create better looking photos imo.

Better photographer?
No, but it has improved my photography, if you see the difference ... better quality lenses have enabled me to create better images in terms of clarity, bokeh etc and new long lenses (400 f2.8 and 500 f4) have enabled me to take wildlife photographs that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to take. Advances in MP and AF quality have enabled me to up the number of keepers and improve the overall quality of my images.
I of course still bin loads but my photography has improved and I probably enjoy it more.

No camera will 'see' pictures for you, travel to a location, understand the quality of light, know when to press the shutter, or develop a personal style, etc.

No equipment purchase has ever made me, or will ever make me a better photographer. Improvements have only come from hard work and learning, not buying new gear, in my own personal experience.

My main camera body (Nikon D700) I bought new 6 years ago, and I'm pondering replacing it next year (although I've had a number of compacts and smaller cameras in that time as more capable, smaller cameras have got better and better), so I'm not that interested in gear really.

When I went from my D70 to the D700, what I got was an improvement in the capability of my equipment - primarily improvements to the image quality and the ability to up the ISO and shoot in low light without a tripod mainly. But these had little impact on my own abilities - indeed, some of my best images were taken on the D70.

I've certainly improved as a photographer since I got the D700, but I'd like to think I would have done so anyway irrespective of the camera I was using, simply by virtue of the fact that I've put so much time and effort into my photography.

Thanks for the candid replies. It's a good point that a number of you make, that whilst a new camera won't necessarily make you a better photographer par-se, it perhaps does give you the impetuous to go out and shoot more (I must remember that excuse for the wife !):D

For me... Upgraded gear = better pictures and that's a 100% fact

Depends on what you term as a better photogrpaher....I would say no.. but pics are better :)

I'm a member of many different forums, with very different topics. One thing that I always come across are (people with all the gear and no idea). Just because you can afford the latest stuff, do not make you a master of your art. We seem to live in an age of wanting instant results, without putting the time and effort in.

I'm a member of many different forums, with very different topics. One thing that I always come across are (people with all the gear and no idea). Just because you can afford the latest stuff, do not make you a master of your art. We seem to live in an age of wanting instant results, without putting the time and effort in.

. Its a myth that a good photogrpaher can take a good pic with any camera... better equipment does NOT in my opinion make you a better photogrpaher.. but it can give better results even in a novice hands..

. Its a myth that a good photogrpaher can take a good pic with any camera... better equipment does NOT in my opinion make you a better photogrpaher.. but it can give better results even in a novice hands..
Agreed. Better gear can yield better results. But there are limits! Behind the equipment there is a human who is the creator.

As Kipax says a better camera/lens shouldn't make you a better photographer but probably will enable you to take "better" photographs.
I also agree that a new shiny whatnot can fire your enthusiasm, but enthusiasm naturally ebbs and flows and so it is easy to think that new kit is the only answer.

My purchase of a 500mm lens led me to learn about the special problems of long lens and long distance photography, mirror & shutter shock & their effects on my images, and how to recalibrate AF on a camera without MFA. That made me a better photographer in the sense of improving my skills.

I tried to categorise the various different reasons which caused me to miss an excellent photo, or to fudge it badly so that the image wasn't worth keeping. Two of the most important reasons were failing to deploy the camera fast enough for unexpected transient opportunities, and not being able to change a lens fast enough. That led to me buying a new camera strap & a lens change bag. Those purchases definitely improved the numbers of good photographs I'd bring back from a photo expedition, not necessarily better photographs of the main thing I'd gone prepared to shoot, but those completely unexpected things I see whenever I'm out to shoot something else.

Yes i dont feel buying the new stuff made me a better photographer just gave me better skills to try and achieve what I wanted.

i.e. I upgraded from a 40d to 5Dii because of its low light capabilities for shooting gigs - just so i had more reach in the conditions.

I don't think i'd upgrade to a new body for a long time, if ever, because i just dont think i could justify the cost - getting a better lens, or renting a better quality lens would just mean a better image quality, rather than a better photo. i can take plenty of pin sharp, but s***ty photos :-D

What i need to do to become a better photographer is pay more attention and learn from my mistakes and not be such a blagger.

Make ME a better photographer? Impossible! I'm insanely talented so unimprovable!!!

Or, back on planet Earth, no. As has been said above, it's made the results better from my meagre talent and has made some things that were all but impossible relatively easy to achieve but hasn't made any difference to my own abilities.

It made me a worse one :(

This was going from a nikon coolpix to a d500
Oh the tantrums I (still) had :D

I think I have two related hobbies: photography and trying out new kit I enjoy both. sometimes they are even linked and one helps the other

"A bad workman blames his tools"

But I've always thought that the counter to this is "a good workman has good tools and knows how to use them". I agree with many people above that having better kit is more motivating and so gets me out more specifically to take pictures. There is definitely a point though where better kit will make little difference until you really understand why it is better for you and that understanding comes from having got the most out of the kit you already have. Just buying stuff because someone says it is better is not going to help.

Some of my favourite photos were taken with my phone camera because I had it at the time. But then there are times in kicking myself because it can't take the photo I want when my SLR could have done. There are a few occasions now when I feel I could have fine better with a better body, mines a 9 year old 400D. This mostly occurs in low light.

My latest purchase is a 50mm 1.8, I don't think it'll make me a better photographer but it's much lighter than my normal lens so might make new a happier photographer when I use it. And it might help sometimes in the low light.

I'm keen on only buying things when I can construct a decent use case for the upgrade. If I can't then I probably don't need the shiny new tech.

I was after the holy grail for a long time in terms of IQ and 'look' of images, and was constantly told that it's all about technique and I need to learn about lighting, framing etc etc. I took this advice and have learnt A LOT but still wasn't able to get the look that I wanted. I quizzed again and was again told to keep practising, which I did. Still no joy. Last year I upgraded my camera and bought a new lens and hey presto I got the images I'd been wanting. So whilst I buy into the fact a good camera and/or lens doesn't make you a good photographer I also believe that having better equipment can improve the IQ and look of your images (of course depending on what you're shooting, what you're trying to achieve etc ;))

Personally, yes I think it can and it has with me. I used to use a Nikon D90 a while back. It was something handed down to me. I "upgraded" just under 2 years later to a D7000 and for some reason I never gelled with it. I stopped getting out shooting and it just sat at home most of the time.

It wasn't long until I then discovered the Fuji X system and for me, this was what got me out there more shooting and enjoying it. Small, light, not rammed with menu options and great images from the off.
I then started getting into film and have been using a whole host of different cameras.
I wanted to delve into full frame and picked up a 5D Mk1 to go alongside my Fuji system. At the time the X series wasn't the fastest for AF and I missed that a little from the Nikon.
Compared to the Nikon it felt so much nicer to use for a DSLR and the results out of camera are excellent.

This is what strikes me when people say Canon or Nikon. I believe its not an answer you can easily give someone. For me, I would have Canon over Nikon now based on how much I prefer the handling of Canon 5D. Yes it's old but it's still a great performer. Finding the right tool is key. If that camera choice or lens choice makes you get out there and shoot and enjoy the whole process, then I can't see why it won't help your journey in photography.
I'm getting out there and shooting a lot more now than I did before. Perhaps thats more down to me getting involved over the years, but I think a change of gear helped with it. The more I get out and shoot, the more I build on my technique / vision of seeing.
I think the element of learning is crucial too obviously. Im still learning things myself and looking at photobooks especially can be a good source of inspiration.

Another thing I have found too in this journey is that I prefer fixed lenses to zooms. I've said several times when away that I could do with a zoom, yet when I have one mounted - I never seem to get the shot I wanted. I guess I just feel lazy and use the zoom - rather than getting to the position I want to be in and working around the subject. Maybe?

Good question and interesting thread!

I started out with a d90 then went to a d800. When I first got the d800 my pics were undoubtedly a bit worse as I was getting to grips with it.

What I initially regarded a a "meh" lens (50 f1.8) when I first got the d800 is now one of my fave lenses for taking pics.

Also since I bought a smartflash kit, I started paying much more attention to light.

So I guess that the new purchase didn't make me a better photographer, but the process of taking more pics and learning to use the new equipment did. The new kit served as an impetus to improve.

My most recent camera purchase an X 30 just made me happy.
what more could it be about.........

I would say that, yes, some equipment I've bought has forced me to become a better photographer. When I bought a 500 mm lens, similarly with taking up macro photography. They both forced me to become better by having to learn new skills and a better understanding of what I needed to do to improve

Outside of that new equipment has allowed me to be better prepared for changing circumstances with the amount of customisation available on some bodies these days.

I feel a couple of recent lens purchases has helped me improve my images, don't know why, maybe better light - a different technique - lucky - a fresh photographic mind, who knows....(?)

Last edited:
My new Wimberleyhead means I can actually use my big lens and yes, that means I am getting stuff I didn't get before - today was on a Bach in Cornwall shooting surfers...

What was that Ansel quote, " nothing worse than a pin sharp image of a fuzzy concept"

I am trying to spend my very limited resources on learning, but it is hard to buy the right courses or books, there are so many bad ones out there. It's far easier to buy better gear as that is far better researched by most people

Buying gear that I can grow into (d7000) has helped me as it has many advanced features like commander mode flash etc but having said that I soon outgrew that!

Photography is a passion and a life long journey, going first class on that journey would I am sure make it more comfy. (I am standing room only in second class!)

Last edited:
What was that Ansel quote, " nothing worse than a pin sharp image of a fuzzy concept"

I am trying to spend my very limited resources on learning, but it is hard to buy the right courses or books, there are so many bad ones out there. It's far easier to buy better gear as that is far better researched by most people

Buying gear that I can grow into (d7000) has helped me as it has many advanced features like commander mode flash etc but having said that I soon outgrew that!

Photography is a passion and a life long journey, going first class on that journey would I am sure make it more comfy. (I am standing room only in second class!)
I would save money on courses and books and just research online, there's everything you could possibly need to know out there. Plus there's forums like this where you can ask, and even meet up with folk for free ;)

Concentrate on the Masters. Reference the greats in whatever field you are most interested in and ignore the also-rans.

Definitely applies to me.trying to run before i can walk.
I have only just settled on a system to really learn,Im trying hard to improve my understanding of both the technical and artistic sides of photography and now most of my time is spent reading and watching tutorial stuff rather than kit stuff and of course taking lots of picture,
I just want to buy a 35mm now and thats it :)

Great Subject post,thanks for reminding me.

I don't think new equipment makes you a better photographer but it can make life easier and also mean you can take photos that you couldn't before.

Obvious examples are macro lenses, and full frame bodies (due to low light ability)

It made me a worse one :(

This was going from a nikon coolpix to a d500
Oh the tantrums I (still) had :D

Ah, you see Nikon is the problem then.

I would save money on courses and books and just research online, there's everything you could possibly need to know out there. Plus there's forums like this where you can ask, and even meet up with folk for free ;)

That reminds me actual, I've just purchased two books 'Magnum Magnum' and 'Magnum Contact sheets'

There's potential for my 'new purchase' to make me a better photographer ;D

Back