Beginner Difference of infra trigger and Radio Trigger

Edit My Images
No
Hello,
I'm looking at playing with off camera flash with some kind of trigger.
I have a Canon 580 Ex, Canon 580EXII and Canon 430EXII
I wanted to start playing with two of the flashes but unsure where to start with triggers.

have order two stands with umbrellas.

I looked at the ST-E2 which is Infra red driven?
and pocket wizards which are Radio frq triggered

First of all which is better for reliability?
does the infra red transmitter have to be in sight of the flash?
Are radio triggers better?
which are more expandable if i wanted to add more flashes?

thanks in advance

IR light-code triggers don't need line of sight in a typical room, but are unreliable outdoors, even with line of sight.

Radio is much better, and very affordable these days. Yongnuo is the popular choice, ie 622 transceivers with 622Tx on-camera. That will work perfectly with all your guns (y)

Which is better, well, I've never used a radio trigger and have had no problems with my Yongnuos. I have used without 'line of site', but not over long distances.

I believe radio triggers work over longer distances.

Then again, I maybe talking twaddle.

This is a oft promoted site for flash related information.

Cheers.

the only think I Think that the IR STE2 can do is ratios
other than that, I think radio are better.
end curtain sync, HSS, range, reliability, etc.
However, with a 580exII you can trigger your other flashes without any other hardware

Thanks for replies I will have a look at the website. Any suggestions where best to purchase yongnuo from?

Try eBay digital rev a hong kong store. I have found them pretty good in the past, but not sure how it works with import duties and so forth into the UK/EU?

Thanks for replies I will have a look at the website. Any suggestions where best to purchase yongnuo from?

Amazon.

Which is better, well, I've never used a radio trigger and have had no problems with my Yongnuos. I have used without 'line of site', but not over long distances.
Most Yongnuo triggers are radio triggers. Which ones do you have?

I use the YN622c along with the YN622ctx and have never had any issue with them. Dependant on your camera the ctx is a nice to have as it allows you to change settings without going into the camera settings menus. You can get them off Amazon or eBay, but quite often they pop up on here in the classifieds (there were some on yesterday)

Back